Windows 10: After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start

Discus and support After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When Windows Updated Yesterday, the Firewall Service would no longer Start! {This Also caused a Repeating Error Message that the Firewall was not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chuck7, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Chuck7 Win User

After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start

When Windows Updated Yesterday, the Firewall Service would no longer Start! {This Also caused a Repeating Error Message that the Firewall was not running. It provides Error-Message 0x800706d9} (The Firewall Service merely STAYS in the state where it is Continually displays Starting.)
    I ran the Firewall Troubleshooter which did Nothing.
    After doing everything I could think of (with Zero Success) to get the Firewall Service to Start, including Frequently Re-Clicking the Button to Reset Firewall Rules to "Default", And Rebooting Numerous times, I gave up And Restored the System Drive from Backup.

My Concern, of course, is that when I Next Let Windows do its Update {Required Very Soon} I will AGAIN have the Identical Quandary!! My Windows Version is 2004, Build 19041.572.

Your Advice Or Suggestions will be very appreciated.

Chuck

P.S.: I noticed that this Windows Update includes installing the New Edge Browser. So I thought that one thing I would also try is Proactively installing Edge Prior to doing the Update.

:)

Chuck7, Dec 5, 2020
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 5, 2020
  4. After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start

Windows 10 won´t start any program as Administrator

Hello. I´m having this issue since installed one of the latest Windows 10 system updates.

When I try to open any program that requires Administrator confirmation (that screen with the Yes/No question), this dialog won´t appear anymore. The screen background stays darkened and nothing happens.

1. Using Windows 10 Home (x64)
    2. My microsoft user account is properly checked
    3. I´m the administrator of the PC
    4. Already tried do create another administrator user account - same problem, no success
    5. Cannot start any program/service that requires administrator authorization (not even regedit)
    Please help!

Fabiano Lehmkuhl, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start

1. After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start - Similar Threads - Recent Update Firewall

2. Pc won’t charge after recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc won’t charge after recent update: After I updated my computer to the most recent update, suddenly won’t charge. Battery is having no issues, and the charger works on other devices. We even tried plugging it in to different outlets. Help?...
  3. Pc won’t charge after recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc won’t charge after recent update: After I updated my computer to the most recent update, suddenly won’t charge. Battery is having no issues, and the charger works on other devices. We even tried plugging it in to different outlets. Help?...
  4. Windows Update Service Stuck as “Starting” updates won’t work.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update Service Stuck as “Starting” updates won’t work.: I have a win10 machine. Windows update fails gives a code ending in 805. If you run the update troubleshooting tool it fails gives the same error code. Going into services the windows update service shows as “starting”. If you go in and disable it, it reads as “starting”....
  5. Windows Firewall service not starting

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Firewall service not starting: so the story goes back to a week when i pirated malware bytes anti malware and i think that is the reason why this has happen.The pirated zip file contained a executable and the pirate said to run this as admin i did it because he was a trusted pirated however i can tell that...
  6. After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    After Recent Windows Update, Firewall Service Won’t Start: When Windows Updated Yesterday, the Firewall Service would no longer Start! {This Also caused a Repeating Error Message that the Firewall was not running. It provides Error-Message 0x800706d9} (The Firewall Service merely STAYS in the state where it is Continually displays...
  7. Windows Firewall Service not starting after OS reset

Windows Firewall Service not starting after OS reset: I recently reset my computer and got rid of some excess bloatware and once I restarted it, I got a notification stating that the firewall was off. I'm wondering what's happening here. It actually led me to the fact that my Base Filtering Service was off and I tried turning...
  8. Laptop won’t start after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop won’t start after update: I have an HP 17z laptop. Last week I used the windows updater and now it won’t turn on. I’m stumped it was working just fine prior and now no power or fans. Any suggestions?...
  9. Windows Firewall; Can't start service

Windows Firewall; Can't start service: As title says it, I can't start Windows Firewall. I changed permissions in registry so now I can at least run BFE, as it wasn't running before, but firewall is still stuck in "Starting" stage. No fixes seem to help.[ATTACH]...
  10. Can't start Windows Firewall service

Can't start Windows Firewall service: When I try to turn it on, it just keeps loading and eventually do nothing. [img] And when I try to start the service in the "Services.msc" I get the error: [img] Tranlation: 'Can't start the Windows Firewall on yout Local computer. Consult the systemlogs for more...