Windows 10: After refresh, icons from one PC are duplicating on another PC

Discus and support After refresh, icons from one PC are duplicating on another PC in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Haven't seen this before, and can't find any previous community traffic on this odd glitch. I have 2 PCs at my house -- completely seperate boxes,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bemused59, Mar 31, 2020.

1. bemused59 Win User

After refresh, icons from one PC are duplicating on another PC

Haven't seen this before, and can't find any previous community traffic on this odd glitch.

I have 2 PCs at my house -- completely seperate boxes, with different Win 10 installations. To avoid confusion, I'll refer to 'em as MAIN and GAME 'cuz that's pretty much what they're used for.

Last weekend, my MAIN PC started acting oddly, all indications pointed to needing a Windows "refresh" to resolve the problem. Did the refresh -- via the online option -- and the original problems went away. However...

...the MAIN desktop was now cluttered up with all of it's original icons many broken, of course AND most of the icons from the GAME PC. Furthermore, now the GAME PC has most of the icons from the MAIN on it's desktop, as well.

The ghost icons don't work on the other PCs... the programs they link to didn't magically port between them. But the other disconcerting thing is that if I delete a ghost icon from the PC where it doesn't belong, it ALSO disappears from PC where it's legit.

I'd love to know how this happened, if anyone can give me a clue.

Thanks- Jeff

:)

bemused59, Mar 31, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 31, 2020
  3. JeremyP99 Win User
    Duplicated folder on LEFT column of This Pc

I don't think this is the same; I know that after every major upgrade I have to edit the registry to get rid of the duplicated fixed hard drives shown BELOW This PC. Look at my screen shot - the RIGHT side Folders are just as wanted. The LEFT however has a spurious F:\ entry - which is my Videos folder, also listed on the Left. Both point correctly to my videos folder. I don't want the spurious F:\ entry, assume it came about when moving my Videos from their default location on to a seperate drive of their own - as I have done fine with my Music folder as well. Thanks regardless, and if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions. For example, is the This PC layout defined in the registry, and if so where. I assume it is, given the messing around with duplicate entries already mentioned.

JeremyP99, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Richmny Win User

Multiple Duplicate Folders under This PC in File Explorer

I learned here that if I highlight This PC and press F5 (Refresh), it eliminates the duplicates also.

Richmny, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

1. After refresh, icons from one PC are duplicating on another PC - Similar Threads - refresh icons are

2. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer license from one PC to another: Hi,Case #: 1047820652I'm trying to transfer the Windows 10 Pro digital license from an older PC to a new PC.I removed the device linked to the old PC from my Microsoft account and now I can't reuse that license. I know now that I shouldn't have done that.I've got two licenses...
  3. Transfer harddrive from one PC to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer harddrive from one PC to another.: Hello, I am building a new PC currently. The only component I didn't purchase was a new harddrive. Is it possible to transfer my current one 1TB SSD, w/ Windows 10 installed to the new computer without any hiccups? Thanks in advance!...
  4. Transferring of Licenses from one PC to another.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring of Licenses from one PC to another.: Hello, I would like to transfer a Windows 10 license from on PC to another. I have purchased windows 10 home from the digital store on one of my PC's, lets call it PC1. PC1 is activated with Windows 10 Home with a "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  5. Transfer of Minecraft Licence from one PC to another PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer of Minecraft Licence from one PC to another PC: Hi. I purchased Minecraft for Windows 10 yesterday. The Microsoft store would only list my laptop as an identifiable device, but the game was meant for my son. As it is his birthday today, I didn't have time to rectify my error, so downloaded the Free Trial onto his...
  6. Transfer Windows from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows from one PC to another: I currently have a laptop that had Windows from the factory, and I want to transfer it to my new desktop. I want to put Ubuntu on the laptop. When i go to activation, however, it says that it's activated with a digital license, and i cant get the product key. I am using...
  7. Transferring w10 from one pc to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring w10 from one pc to another?: I have a Digital license (retail, not OEM) of w10 pro on an old laptop that I no longer use. I want to remove this license from the laptop and put it onto a completely new PC. Completely different components. I've read all the articles on this I could find, however I hadn't...
  8. COPY PHOTOS FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    COPY PHOTOS FROM ONE PC TO ANOTHER: I have over 7000 photos in file explorer on my old Toshiba laptop - What is the simplest way to copy these files to my new laptop - Both operate Windows 10 - Any advice gratefully received....
  9. Moving SSD from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving SSD from one PC to another: I have 2 laptops of different brands with completely different hardware, both with Windows 10 Home. The first laptop had a 250GB SSD, and the second had a 1TB HDD. I upgraded the first laptop to a 500GB SSD, and put the 250GB SSD in the second instead of the 1TB HDD. So the...
  10. Sync calendar from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sync calendar from one PC to another: Hi there !! I really really need help!! My HP model 14BS153OD is dying a slow and painful death and will be having it's death rattle soon. Before it is dead as a door nail and in the trash heap, the only thing I am concerned about at all is my calendar....