Windows 10: After removal of sandbox, portablebaselayer partition stays

Discus and support After removal of sandbox, portablebaselayer partition stays in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've removed all of Hyper-V, Sandbox, and Virtual Machine Platform was never installed that I'm aware of. Even after removing Sandbox, I still have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Palmtek, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Palmtek Win User

After removal of sandbox, portablebaselayer partition stays

I've removed all of Hyper-V, Sandbox, and Virtual Machine Platform was never installed that I'm aware of.

Even after removing Sandbox, I still have an 8GB portablebaselayer partition.

How do I get rid of it?

:)

Palmtek, Mar 17, 2020
  2. BillDoor Win User

Is it safe to delete baselayer and sandbox from Containers Folder

First post. Hello everyone and Happy New Year.
    I made the mistake of following the tutorial to enable Sandbox. It failed miserably, with different errors at different times such as the common Error: 0x80072746.

So I disabled Sandbox but i still have this garbage partition sitting there with 8GB allocated. For those who had success disabling Sandbox to remove this partition (portablebaselayer), good for you. This does not work on my system, despite turning off all relevant features such as VMP and even containers.

After googling for hours I found a link to vhdx files and i did a search using WiseJet.
    My question. Is it safe to delete vhdx files linked to Sandbox and baselayer? I don't use containers.
    examples of the many related folders with vhdx files:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\Sandboxes\a7a6c2d7-f74d-4386-91b0-b2c683d1cdd2\sandbox.vhdx

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\BaseImages\0cd2da3a-d34b-4084-bfa5-ef3781acf177\baselayer.vhdx

I'm hoping deleting these files might finally allow me to get rid of this garbage partition.

Windows 10 Home
    Version 1903
    Build 18362.592

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I was able to uninstall the portablebaselayer through Device Manager, Disk Drives. Once uninstalled it no longer appeared under Computer Management, but on reboot it reappeared.
    There has to be a way to get rid of this. It only appeared when I tried to install Sandbox (epic fail) and all suggested methods to have it disappear have failed.

Also, yes you can delete the virtual drive files in the containers folders but the ones related to baselayer will reappear on reboot.

BillDoor, Mar 17, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Microsoft sandbox stoped working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please be informed that our developer team is aware of the issues with Sandbox and is working on resolving it. We do not have an ETA as of now, however I encourage you to send a feedback to our developer team via
    Feedback hub. As a suggestion you can try disabling and enabling
    the sandbox to check if that works. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Then uncheck the option: Windows Sandbox.
    6. Then restart your computer.
    7. After restart, please enable it and check if the sandbox is working.

Also make sure that you meet all the requirements for Windows Sandbox.
    Your patience and understanding will be appreciated in this matter.

Regards

Naresh_K, Mar 17, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

1. After removal of sandbox, portablebaselayer partition stays - Similar Threads - removal sandbox portablebaselayer

2. remove one partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove one partition: currently Windows 10 installed; trying to convert mbr to uefi to install dual boot with Zorin 17. Got 4 partitions but should be no more than 3 . How can this be done, possibly free?......
  3. Virtual Drive stays after disabling Sandbox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Drive stays after disabling Sandbox: Hello, I noticed an virtual drive in Disk Management called "PortableBaseLayer" that appeared ever since I have enabled Windows Sandbox. It takes up 8 GB. However, this virtual drive does not go away after disabling Sandbox and still takes up 8 GB. I am using Windows 1909....
  4. Remove MBR partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove MBR partitions: I have a 10 TB hard drive installed on my computer strictly for back up and long term storage. Unfortunately I am only able to access 2TB because of a MBR partition the rest of the drive remains unallocated. How do I remove this partition so that I may have access to the...
  5. What is PortableBaseLayer Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is PortableBaseLayer Partition in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When browsing your storage section either through Computer or Disk Management tool, if you notice a volume with name PortableBaseLayer, then don’t be surprised. It’s a virtual drive that has recently started appearing after the Windows 10 v1903 Update. In...
  6. MediaCreationTool removing partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MediaCreationTool removing partitions: Hi, Why is the mediaCreationTool removing partitions from my USB drive, i set 2 partitions in windows, 1 of 8~GB for the windows setup and the remaining for whatever since its a 30gb drive, but the tool removes them all and makes 1 20~gb partition filled only 7gb and then an...
  7. Removing unallocated Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing unallocated Partition: I have a 600 meg unallocated partition. I've tried different methods to allocate it to the C drive with no luck. I can't move it beside the C drive either. Any suggestions?...
  8. Removing Extended Partition

Removing Extended Partition: We did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a computer. When it came to the point of deciding what to do to the existing partitions, we attempted to delete all partitions and end up with on unallocated partition. However there were two partitions which we could not remove so we...
  9. Removal of D: partition

Removal of D: partition: Hi I have upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Premium Home (64bit). I now have a partition 'Recovery D' that contains the data to reinstall Windows 7 OS and all HP supplied software(Back to factory). Is it safe to remove the partition and free up space on the C drive...
  10. Remove Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove Recovery Partition: I just upgraded to version 1511. It recreated the 450 mb recovery partition I don't want and I don't need it!! Is there a way to remove it without doing a clean install of Windows am use diskpart? James 43883

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sandbox portabledbasedlayer