Windows 10: After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot

Discus and support After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, In attempting to fix this problem: Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup I used this solution: Repair Install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeEEE, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MikeEEE Win User

After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot

Hello all,

In attempting to fix this problem:
    Encountering "Element not found" on File History Cleanup

I used this solution:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

And it worked! The repair fixed that particular issue and I now have a working-as-expected File History (at least as far as that problem is concerned).

However, now I have a new problem.

When I reboot the machine, the machine restarts twice and then on the 3rd time results in the following screen:

After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot [​IMG]

Upon hitting Enter, it continues as desired and Windows boots.

Note that I have tried Startup Repair and it still results in this issue. Also note that I have tried Macrium's Fix Boot Problems as discussed here:
    v5: How to fix Windows boot problems (Restore, Windows PE)

And it did not address the issue.

The weird thing is that if I shut down the computer and turn it back on, it boots like a charm. It's only when I do a restart that I run into this problem.

Any suggestions/hints towards fixing this issue would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wondering... should I Repair again? *Think

:)

MikeEEE, Jun 25, 2020

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Jun 25, 2020
  3. spy2520 Win User
    boot repairs?

i updated the bios on my rampage formula. And now for some reason my system automatically boots to Windows XP and i dont have the usual choices of OSes. I have been triple-booting XP, Vista, and Windows 7 for a while now, and i always got the boot screen where i could choose which one.

I tried putting the discs in and repairing the boot sector or whatever its called for both Vista and Windows 7 and it didnt work. It was kinda automated in that i would choose the repair option and it would automatically pop up that the boot record was missing or corrupt and asked me if i wanted to repair that. It did this for Windows 7 and Vista. Both the partitions are recognized as Windows partitions when using the repair feature. But it still just boots into XP. I can figure it out. I guess i could wipe it and reinstall all 3.

spy2520, Jun 25, 2020
  4. After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot

Unable to boot windows due to missing or corrupt files

Hi Callum,

There are several reasons why your PC isn't booting properly. One of which is because of broken boot data configuration components. To isolate the issue, we highly suggest you to boot your PC in Safe Mode. Given that you cannot access the setup screen, please
    follow these steps:

Do the improper shutdown process:

• Turn on your computer.
    • When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the computer. Do this thrice.
    • At the 4th boot, simply wait for the Windows Recovery Environment window to appear.

After doing the improper shutdown process, please follow these steps:

• On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced options then, Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.
    • Once the PC has restarted, press the F4 key to boot in Safe Mode.

Let us know if the resolution worked for you.

Katrina Men, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot

1. After Repair: Can Shutdown/Boot but Not Restart/Boot - Similar Threads - Repair Shutdown Boot

2. Windows stuck on boot and can not repair.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows stuck on boot and can not repair.: I can not load windows, I am stuck on boot every time I start my computer it is just a black screen with a white spinning loading sign. I have turned it off and reset it so I get to advanced repair, however, I can not run any of the troubleshooting options because I can not...
  3. Windows stuck on boot and can not repair.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stuck on boot and can not repair.: I can not load windows, I am stuck on boot every time I start my computer it is just a black screen with a white spinning loading sign. I have turned it off and reset it so I get to advanced repair, however, I can not run any of the troubleshooting options because I can not...
  4. repair boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    repair boot: okay so if i try to repair boot my windows because it is stuck on automatic repair screen will it delete my apps please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repair-boot/35caa923-b2ee-421a-9191-df6329ba92f0
  5. repair boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    repair boot: okay so if i try to repair boot my windows because it is stuck on automatic repair screen will it delete my apps please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repair-boot/35caa923-b2ee-421a-9191-df6329ba92f0
  6. Restart to repair boot error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restart to repair boot error: Hi, I've been fighting against this issue for quite a long time now.I have also followed the procedure at point 10 here...
  7. Windows 10 fails to boot after restart, booting after shutdown is fine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 fails to boot after restart, booting after shutdown is fine: Hello. I have HP EliteBook 8470p laptop. I recently replaced SSD in the laptop with larger one - 1TB Samsung QVO 860 Laptop has 3rd gen Core i5 2.80GHz CPU, 16GB of RAM and AMD 7550 videocard. Before reinstall, BIOS in laptop was updated to latest version. There were no...
  8. Windows freezes during boot after a normal restart or shutdown. After a forced shutdown it...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows freezes during boot after a normal restart or shutdown. After a forced shutdown it...: I'm very sure this issue is hardware related as it only happens on two of my systems with very similar Supermicro motherboards, X9DAE and X9DRi-LN+. Linux always boots without problems....
  9. slow boot/shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow boot/shutdown/restart: I have a lenovo ideapad z510 with a Sandisk Ultra II 120 GB as the main disk and a second 1TB HDD instead of the DVDwr, my problem is that it takes ~ 25-30 seconds to boot/shutdown/restart according to Event Viewer, and considering the Ultra II specs that's a lot, it...
  10. Boot windows on a schedule after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot windows on a schedule after shutdown: I prefer to have my system shut down overnight rather than sleeping. Is there any way to schedule a system boot at a specific time in the morning? Windows update is able to boot from shut down when it feels like it. Is there any way I can do this, apart from putting my PC to...