Windows 10: After reset, Windows needs to repair drive?

Discus and support After reset, Windows needs to repair drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My friend's 2 day old Toshiba laptop started giving System Thread Exception Not Handled error, and went into a rebooting loop. I researched this on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vincenzo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Vincenzo Win User

After reset, Windows needs to repair drive?

My friend's 2 day old Toshiba laptop started giving System Thread Exception Not Handled error, and went into a rebooting loop. I researched this on the web, but none of the usual fixes for this issue would help.

I decided to do a Reset, told it not to save any files.

It did the reset, counting up from 1% to 100% over the course of about 30 minutes, then went to a screen that said "scanning and repairing errors". That took about 15 minutes.

After the scanning and repairing, it went to a 3rd screen that only said "Installing Windows Your PC will restart several times". With a large percent counter in the middle that sat at 1% for about 10 minutes, then went to 2% and is sitting there right now, for about 5 minutes. Now it has moved up to 6%, been at that for about 5 minutes now. Below that in small letters it says "installing features and drivers" This seems odd because I thought it was doing that in the first step.

When I've reset computers in the past (those were Win 8) all I remember it doing was the first of these 3 steps, and then it rebooted and was done. Is this behavior normal in Win 10 or is there a problem here that we should consider returning this computer?

Thanks

:)

Vincenzo, Oct 1, 2015

2. keyboard repeat rate needs to be reset after every boot of PC

Hi Steve,

One of the possible reasons that this issue occurs is due to outdated keyboard driver or corrupter system files. To resolve this issue, we recommend you to run the Keyboard troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Right-click the Start button then select Control Panel.
    • Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, and click on the View all option on the left pane.
    • Run the Keyboard troubleshooter.

If issue persists, follow these steps to update your driver:

• Click the Start button, type “device manager” in the search box and then select
      Device Manager.
    • In the list of hardware categories, double-click Keyboards and then double-click the device name.
    • Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions.

Update us with the outcome

Efraim Gar, Oct 1, 2015
  3. keyboard repeat rate needs to be reset after every boot of PC

it is working now! The update driver options did not do anything. The drivers were all from microsoft and the message said they were up to date. But a windows update just ran on the last reboot. maybe that did it?

thanks for the help,

Steve Richter, Oct 1, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The system reset sounds like it is going as it should with Windows 10 but....

Considering the fact that you are having to do a system reset on a 2 day old computer......that should be the answer to whether or not you should consider returning the computer.

NavyLCDR, Oct 1, 2015
  5. Vincenzo Win User
    Thanks for the info. So the repair step is not unusual on a system reset? I've not seen that happen before.

The day before this happened I installed Kaspersky Internet Security, Carbonite and Office 2016. I guess I can't rule out that this condition was created by a software issue. I'm trying to determine if it is a hardware issue.

Vincenzo, Oct 1, 2015
  6. Try turning off the anti virus well it is doing it also it can take up to 2 hours to fully install windows 10 as long as it is moving it should be ok, did not his Toshiba come with McAfee if it did, did you fully uninstall it

hTconeM9user, Oct 1, 2015
  7. ram1220 Win User
    That error message is usually due to a corrupted or wrong video driver. Win 10 could have updated the video driver and caused that problem.

ram1220, Oct 3, 2015
  8. After reset, Windows needs to repair drive?

Hi forgot to say it can take that long mine took altogether 4 hours for me to set up properly how I wanted it and putting in new drivers and clearing dead files and folders out,
    Also have you managed to sort every thing out you can rule out office 2016 as I have that on mine no trouble at all. look at his ani virus and the other program you put in for him

hTconeM9user, Oct 3, 2015
  9. Vincenzo Win User
    After the reset everything seems to be running ok. I've put Office and Carbonite back on, I am holding off on Kaspersky for a while.

Yes I will keep this in mind. But if the problems reoccurs it is hard to see what caused it since even safe mode will not work.

Thanks to all for the help.

Vincenzo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After reset, Windows needs to repair drive? - Similar Threads - reset needs repair

2. Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help: Here's my problem: Initially, I couldn't download anything from the Microsoft Store. To fix this, I decided to reset and repair the Microsoft Store. However, this has led to an even more troublesome situation. Now, the Microsoft Store won't even open. It's stuck on the...
  3. Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help: Here's my problem: Initially, I couldn't download anything from the Microsoft Store. To fix this, I decided to reset and repair the Microsoft Store. However, this has led to an even more troublesome situation. Now, the Microsoft Store won't even open. It's stuck on the...
  4. Microsoft Store Won't Open After Reset and Repair: Need Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. errors on drive not primary drive that need to be repaired windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    errors on drive not primary drive that need to be repaired windows 10: Hi,I have the above message occuring when I run a 'properties/tools/check' on my 'E' drive not my main drive, and also a mechanical drive..not ssd.I have run chdsk /f & chkdsk/r on it under admin priveleges, also on boot...and nothing has changedMy main drive DID have this...
  6. Error:"Repair this drive. Windows found errors on this drive that needs to be repaired....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error:"Repair this drive. Windows found errors on this drive that needs to be repaired....: Hi.. Currently running on windows 10. The error appeared when i was trying to check/scanning drive C: by going to "this pc" right clicking on drive C "properties" "tools" "check" "scan drive" and then the only option I'm getting is to close. The issue started when i was...
  7. Windows needs activation after reset

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows needs activation after reset: it honestly started when i was trying to fix what in all honesty should have been a fairly simple problem. though in trying to find the correct solution for this case windows unraveled into a slew of sequential problems (that showed me that i know frick all about IT and...
  8. Windows needs to scan your drive and repair

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows needs to scan your drive and repair: Often when I plug in media this message comes up and invariably when I follow it's advice it ends up in tears. Not once have I need to scan and repair for the filesystem on the media to be read without issue. So why on earth is windows 10 posting this message. I've come...
  9. Windows needs to scan your drive and repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows needs to scan your drive and repair: Often when I plug in media this message comes up and invariably when I follow it's advice it ends up in tears. Not once have I need to scan and repair for the filesystem on the media to be read without issue. So why on earth is windows 10 posting this message. I've come...
  10. Repair Windows 10 after Factory Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Windows 10 after Factory Reset: I recently decided to perform a reset on my computer (and selected the option to remove all files, but not clean the drives). However, during this process, after displaying as 100% complete, the computer froze on a black screen, so I turned it off and on again. Now, when it...