Windows 10: After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD.

Discus and support After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A year ago, I bought a new PC and there was pre-installed on the HDD Windows 10 1709. Then I added from within Windows 10 the Safe Mode option to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by newu873, Dec 22, 2019.

1. newu873 Win User

After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD.

A year ago, I bought a new PC and there was pre-installed on the HDD Windows 10 1709. Then I added from within Windows 10 the Safe Mode option to the boot menu. So I could see 2 options in the boot menu -- 1 for the routine boot and 1 for the Safe Mode boot.

Few weeks ago I added a new SSD in the PC and installed on it a fresh Windows 10 1803. Also for this installation I added to the boot menu the Safe Mode option and so altogether I could see in the boot menu 4 options: 2 for the HDD windows 10 1709 and 2 for the SSD Windows 10 1803.

All this was working very fine. I could choose any option in the boot menu and according to it the PC booted from either the HDD or the SSD.

Few days ago, I restored onto the HDD a system image of the Windows 10 1709 which I have backed up before adding the SSD in the PC and the additional boot options for the SSD Windows.

But now, the additional boot options for the SSD have disappeared from the boot menu and now I see again only 2 options in the boot menu just for the HDD. Even worse is the PC which can't boot now from the SSD. It gives a message like: "no boot device found", when I try to boot from the SSD.

So I guess that the MBR has been deleted for some reason on the SSD but I don't get why. But is it really the reason for this thing happening ?? Any suggestions ??

:)

newu873, Dec 22, 2019

2. System Image restore issue.

Upon getting my computer back from repair, I tried to restore my system image. The ssd and HDD are still the same.

But when I run the system image, I get a "inaccessible boot device" Stop code.

I've discovered that the problem is, the system image is restoring the SSD partitions to the HDD and the HDD isn't a bootable drive.

How do I get the system image to restore the SSD partitions with the os to the SSD?

JonathanJohnson3, Dec 22, 2019
  3. sam9 Win User
    Restoring HDD image to SSD

I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management, these volumes are Dynamic Wherein my HDD partitions are Primary , logical etc. I restored the Win 10 image to SSD but it is not booting. Please let me know, where I am doing mistake because if I restore on HDD then there is no problem.

4. Smears Win User

Restore Image or Clone from HDD to new SSD?

I have a single, non-partitioned (C:\ drive only) 500GB HDD in a desktop PC, using approx. 80 percent of it. I want to install a 500GB SSD, and clone or restore an image of the HDD to it. Once that's complete and successful, I plan to wipe the 500GB HDD
    and then move my large libraries of media from the newly installed SSD to it. My future holds lots of video editing and compiling, so the extra storage will help, along with the better performance via the SSD (and upgraded RAM as well).

I'm unable to find after much research a definitive answer as to whether cloning the HDD to the SSD is better than restoring an image of the HDD to the SSD. I've read where cloning will carry over bad sectors and such where imaging will not. I think I'm
    leaning toward image restore, keeping a copy of it on an external 1TB drive I have, to which I can periodically do image backups of the new, separate drives.

I'd also like to find a tutorial re: the same. Thanks in advance for any help.

Smears, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

1. After restoring a system image on HDD, the PC can't boot from SSD. - Similar Threads - restoring system image

2. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  3. Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 OS image restore from HDD to SSD: Hello Experts, My laptop is currently running on Windows 11 22H2, installed on HDD. I would like to upgrade to SSD.Just to keep the process simple, I'm planning to...1. Take Windows OS image backup from HDD. 2. Install SSD drive.3. Restore the image backup to the new SSD...
  4. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD: Hi there!I succesfully installed Windows on my mSATA SSD UEFI. After updating and installing drivers, the only thing left to do was formatting the 1tb HDD, which I did using a format tool. I had completely deleted the HDD using the Windows partition manager just before...
  5. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD: Hi there!I succesfully installed Windows on my mSATA SSD UEFI. After updating and installing drivers, the only thing left to do was formatting the 1tb HDD, which I did using a format tool. I had completely deleted the HDD using the Windows partition manager just before...
  6. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can't restore system image.

Can't restore system image.: Hello!I'm trying to restore a system image, using a windows 10 USB, I use diskpart or windows 10 installer formatting tools.But I get 1 of 2 error messages:"To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery Environment is currently running...
  8. Restore system image to a smaller HDD

Restore system image to a smaller HDD: I want to restore my system to a new HDD The old drive is 2Tb and the new one is 1Tb. The data on the drive amounts to around 120Gb but the partition cannot be reduced below 937Gb and my new drive has only 931Gb usable space. I have the same problem trying to clone. I've...
  9. Restoring HDD image to SSD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring HDD image to SSD: I am having dual boot PC, XP and Win 10, both on different HDD. I just bought a 250 GB SSD for restoring my Win 10 OS and System Reserved macrium image on this new SSD. I made three volumes 2 GB for System Reserved, 130 for OS and rest free. When I look in Disk Management,...
  10. Can't Restore from System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't Restore from System Image: I created a system image on a Seagate external hard drive using Windows 10 Home, and I created a restore disc for booting with an external BUFFALO DVD drive connected to a USB port. I went into the UEFI and set my BUFFALO drive as the first drive to be used for booting at...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after restoring partition the system cannot boot xp