Windows 10: After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer

Discus and support After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a weird problem. After some hours of uptime, 4 to 8 hours generally, when I download a file to any place: memory (when Firefox starts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Exagone313, May 14, 2016.

1. After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer

Hi,

I have a weird problem. After some hours of uptime, 4 to 8 hours generally, when I download a file to any place: memory (when Firefox starts download files before saving to disk), system's SSD, internal or external HDD or usb key; the computer slows down: mouse and sound lag, fps drop/video acceleration problem, and so, until the file is completely downloaded.

The problem does not happen on Ubuntu or Arch Linux, both installed on another drive (HDD, not SSD). I didn't have this problem on Windows 8.1, installed on the HDD used now for Linux.
    To make the problem disappear, I can restart the computer. Also, downgrading/installing the Ethernet card's driver sometimes stops the problem (=after some hours of uptime, it happens again). Just tried two hours ago and it didn't work, so it's like getting worse.

I don't think I have a virus, I don't install any unknown software, I prefer to use open source software that have communities. I use NoScript in my navigator and don't allow untrusted websites. I have also a paid anti-virus, Bitdefender (may cause an issue but I don't know how to disable it for a time like it's possible on other anti-virus - had it on 8.1 too) Is it safe to uninstall it to try? I haven't tried and I have to wait some hours to have the downloading problem...

My PC's specs (self mounted):
    CPU: Intel i5 3590k
    GPU: GTX 960 & GTX 760 (no SLI bridge, I bought a non working one, removed it), driver up-to-date from GeForce Experience (release version)
    MB: MSI Z77A-G45
    Integrated eth card: Realtek 8111E (driver up-to-date, from Realtek.com.tw when the websites is not slow, but does the same with the Windows' one)
    SSD Trademark: Silicon Power (2,5 SATA III State Drive Slim S60)

Please ask for any needed information, and thanks for your help.

EDIT: Forgot a thing:
    When it happens, I download from Firefox or a command line tool, and the process named System and compressed memory uses 40-60% of the CPU and the first core is completely used. When I download from Filezilla (SFTP), it does the same but with the process named System interrupt (process names are translated from French and may not be the same in English language).

EDIT 2: Also, It's not a mouse/keyboard lag, it's FPS drop, because the mouse moves but the frames are not shown). But there is effectively a sound lag (like when you read slowly a sound but more buggy).

EDIT 3: I kept my computer on, and the problem appears and disappears about every 20 minutes, and has not always the same severity...

EDIT 4: Yes, I think it's caused by the anti-virus, because it has multiple "modes", and switching between them change the way the problem happens.

:)

Exagone313, May 14, 2016

2. My Windows 10 PC computer slows down after hours use . Why ?

Please respond . Thanks , john

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

JohnSimmer, May 14, 2016
  3. My Windows 10 PC computer slows down after hours use . Why ?

Hi John,

There are many possible reasons PC slows down after hours of use. Sometimes, it's caused by programs running in the background or may even be caused by virus and malware. For tips on how to improve the performance of your PC, follow the suggested solutions
    on this link.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, May 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer

Hi System and compressed memory cpu use is something a good number of people have reported.

Please feel free to search the forum using the search box above for
    "System and compressed memory"
    and you will find many threads.

Here are my notes which might help you, but bear in mind your cause may be different again, assuming this is the primary issue here.
    System and compressed memory- solutions.doc
    System and compressed memory.doc

dalchina, May 15, 2016
  5. Can you provide your documents in a format I can read, like html or pdf or odt?

EDIT :

So I start to look around, and on http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...3-db775e50096a (ctrl + f > my current solution), it says:
    Code: I have reenabled the pagefile but I have disabled sleep policy and instead enabled hibernation directly[/quote] I don't know what does he mean, and I don't want to use/enable hibernation, I disabled any automatic screen standby. I have tried to enable or disable pagefile (with automatic size), but it's the same. Currently, I have set to use 1GB-2GB on my internal HDD, not the system's SSD (I have 8GB RAM). It sizes exactly 1GB.

Now, the problem happen sooner. Also, downloading with a lower speed (500KBps instead of 10MBps for example) does not slow the computer.

EDIT 2 : Now (because of the last windows update?), I have the problem at startup, and it randomly dis/appears.

Exagone313, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer

1. After some hours of uptime, downloading slows down the computer - Similar Threads - hours uptime downloading

2. Computer randomly slows down periodically after some time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer randomly slows down periodically after some time: I wiped my entire computer clean, but the issue still persists. After a while, whatever I do, there's a FPS lag when playing any game, video, or even just dragging a window around. I know it's not an issue of too many processes running at once because this occurs even if I...
  3. Computer randomly slows down periodically after some time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly slows down periodically after some time: I wiped my entire computer clean, but the issue still persists. After a while, whatever I do, there's a FPS lag when playing any game, video, or even just dragging a window around. I know it's not an issue of too many processes running at once because this occurs even if I...
  4. Computer randomly slows down periodically after some time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.: Hi all!I was having issues with my computer last month and came here for some help. You can see the issues I was having in this post here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-for-computer-is-fine-for-first-ten/0715a9b2-e246-4cd1-bbac-ba80a2e75b5eI...
  6. Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.

Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.: Hi all!I was having issues with my computer last month and came here for some help. You can see the issues I was having in this post here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-for-computer-is-fine-for-first-ten/0715a9b2-e246-4cd1-bbac-ba80a2e75b5eI...
  7. Windows 11 crashes after some hours of uptime memory issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 crashes after some hours of uptime memory issue: I have an installation of Windows 11 Pro. Everytime I start my PC, I use it for a couple of hours 4-5 hours and then I'm greeted by all my apps crashing or restarting because of no/low windows memory. The Windows itself doesn't stop or freeze, only the apps. After I reboot...
  8. Windows 11 crashes after some hours of uptime memory issue

Windows 11 crashes after some hours of uptime memory issue: I have an installation of Windows 11 Pro. Everytime I start my PC, I use it for a couple of hours 4-5 hours and then I'm greeted by all my apps crashing or restarting because of no/low windows memory. The Windows itself doesn't stop or freeze, only the apps. After I reboot...
  9. Internet connection slows down after several hours...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internet connection slows down after several hours...: About two updates ago, I noticed my internet Ethernet connection, using WOW 500/50 plan, slows down to less than 20 Mbps after several hours. I am confirming this through various speed test services. Naturally, I had WOW come out and after going through multiple tests, they...
  10. Computer slows down when downloading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slows down when downloading: Hello When I am downloading something, like a game or video, my computer slows down. For example mouse begins to stutter, apps begin to non responsive, videos stop and buffer for several seconds, etc. I have latest drivers from manufacturer websites, have all Windows...