Windows 10: After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

Discus and support After SSD replacement, the system is not activated in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My old PC broke down and I took the SSD drive and put it into another PC which I am using now. I have a problem with the latter PC. It requires that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JoanaBoman, Sep 21, 2020.

1. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

My old PC broke down and I took the SSD drive and put it into another PC which I am using now.

I have a problem with the latter PC. It requires that I activate the system though it was activated before the replacement.

How can I activate the system?

:)

JoanaBoman, Sep 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?

Ramkesh.baghel, Sep 21, 2020
  3. Windows activation error

Hi Brandon,

Before replacing the Mother Board if Windows 10 was activated, then you can refer the steps/link below for activating Windows 10.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 21, 2020
  4. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

After SSD replacement, the system is not activated

1. After SSD replacement, the system is not activated - Similar Threads - SSD replacement system

2. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  3. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  4. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Reinstall after SSD replaced

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reinstall after SSD replaced: I've looked through the forum, but I'm not giving up yet. I refuse to admit I paid so much for a coaster. Dell Inspiron 7737 32GB ram 2TD SSD just turned off Windoes repair activated 1x then nothing SSD failed - I thought that clicking noise was the fan. I reseated the...
  6. activation after manufacturer motherboard and operating system replaced

activation after manufacturer motherboard and operating system replaced: Confused purchased new Windows 10 All in One, first day Blue Screen and "said I had no operating system installed"? Happened twice both time send back to HP On Activation screen says "Windows is activated with a digital license" Half ways down screen under key icon...
  7. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  8. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement: Hello, I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized. I already tried login with microsoft account and I can't see troubleshooting button on the activation page. Please help Gabe...
  9. Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD.

Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD.: I was having problem with my HDD. it become slow because of reallocation of sector unit error. so I decided to replace my HDD with SSD. After replacing I installed the same version of windows which I was using on HDD. but now I m unable to activate my windows with digital...
  10. Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD

Can't activate Windows 10 after replacing failed SSD: Hi, My computer's SSD failed, and I just bought a SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. However, it is not activated. I originally had Windows 7, then installed Windows 8 Pro, then upgraded to Windows 10. This is all legal. However, I ran a BIOS product key checker on...