Windows 10: After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed

Discus and support After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I did a system restore yesterday and it failed and now my laptop wont boot up. I have 2 drives. A C: drive which is a dual SSD configured to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by saadmusejee, Jun 7, 2020.

1. After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed

Hello,

I did a system restore yesterday and it failed and now my laptop wont boot up.

I have 2 drives. A C: drive which is a dual SSD configured to RAID 0 which has my windows 10 installation and also a D: drive with other files.

After the system restore failed i went into recovery mode and opened up command prompt. I checked my drives and my C: drive letter has changed to D: and my D: drive letter had changed to C:

So now my windows installation drive name is called D: it is still on the SSD. I have tried to rename the drive names using DISKPART command but when i restart the drive name changes back. I think something is wrong with the boot settings.

How do I get windows 10 to boot normally? The other repair tools and disk checking tools are not working

Thank you

:)

saadmusejee, Jun 7, 2020

2. Reformatting - Wrong Drive Letters?

Ok, do so googling about acronis True Image 11 and disk letters. Its the program I use to save all my info, and I know that people wee having troubles with the drive letters there. It was something about modifying the boot.ini and assigning drives. Anyway, I found this for you:

Change the System/Boot Drive Letter
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    1. Make a full system backup of the computer and system state.
    2. Log on as an Administrator.
    3. Start Regedt32.exe.
    4. Go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    5. Click MountedDevices.
    6. On the Security menu, click Permissions.
    7. Verify that Administrators have full control. Change this back when you are finished with these steps.
    8. Quit Regedt32.exe, and then start Regedit.exe.
    9. Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    10. Find the drive letter you want to change to (new). Look for "\DosDevices\C:".
    11. Right-click \DosDevices\C:, and then click Rename.

Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt32 to rename this registry key.
    12. Rename it to an unused drive letter "\DosDevices\Z:".

This frees up drive letter C.
    13. Find the drive letter you want changed. Look for "\DosDevices\D:".
    14. Right-click \DosDevices\D:, and then click Rename.
    15. Rename it to the appropriate (new) drive letter "\DosDevices\C:".
    16. Click the value for \DosDevices\Z:, click Rename, and then name it back to "\DosDevices\D:".
    17. Quit Regedit, and then start Regedt32.
    18. Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators (this should probably be Read Only).
    19. Restart the computer.

Cybrnook2002, Jun 7, 2020
  3. nanohead Win User
    Changing the system volume drive letter safe?

It depends. Need some more information. Is your boot volume c: ? If so, then others can be changed around as needed, but there may be collateral damage. Usually, if there are pointers set in the registry, as long as you use the storage management plugin to change the drive letter assignments, most things should work.

Trouble comes in the form of applications that keep file system information (folders, path names, etc) in files that are stored in directories during installation. Those usually cannot be changed easily, unless you know that they are there and where they are....

What drive letters are you trying to change specifically, and what is the operating system

nanohead, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Mark7805 Win User

After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed

Changing the system volume drive letter safe?

The operating system WAS on c:\ (before I changed windows over to my SATA), NOW it is on E:\. Keep in mind I have 3 hard drives at the moment.

Mark7805, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed

1. After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed - Similar Threads - System Restore won't

2. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  3. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.: I recently performed a custom installation of Windows to get rid of another problem I was having. It left a SYSTEM D: drive in my files that I can't access. When I tried to plugged in my external hard drive, it defaulted to an E: drive letter. This messed with some paths for...
  4. Changing the Drive Letter of a System Partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot: Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and...
  6. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot: Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and...
  7. System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Not Booting After Update - Drive Letter Changed From C To E: My system has been unable to boot for a month or so now. Finally bought a new SSD planning to replace my OS drive. An IT friend of the family recently visited and had a look. Diagnosed that the drive letters got changed after an update, or something similar. The system was...
  8. Windows 10 Won't Boot When Using System Restore After Updating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Won't Boot When Using System Restore After Updating: I encountered this problem this week. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-wont-boot-when-using-system-restore-after-updating/ My resolution was, in Troubleshoot > Advanced Options per the article, to initiate the System Restore yet again, restoring...
  9. can not boot up after doing system restore

in Windows 10 Support
    can not boot up after doing system restore: i wanted to wipe out my pc so i did a system restore and choose the option *do this if your are selling the pc" now i am stuck on a recovery page that says: Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is...
  10. Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot after restoring partition: Around a year ago I wanted to test out Windows 10, so I created a 100GB partition on my 250GB SSD and installed it there and dual booted with my main OS Windows 7. After a few months I was beginning to run out of space and decided to stick with just Windows 7. However, in...