Windows 10: After the latest update I cant play games without 100% of the cpu being used.

Discus and support After the latest update I cant play games without 100% of the cpu being used. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had just installed the new update to windows after not being on my computer for about a week. After the update I launch a game and the game starts to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jjestrada1, Sep 20, 2021.

1. After the latest update I cant play games without 100% of the cpu being used.

I had just installed the new update to windows after not being on my computer for about a week. After the update I launch a game and the game starts to lag so hard its unplayable so I look at task manager and I see that its using up 100% of the CPU, so I changed games but the same thing happened. I have tried to fix it with YouTube help but nothing works. At this point I cant play anything without my CPU going insane. I really hope that the update had something to do with it because I'm scared that I might have to end up either changing up some parts in my PC or just selling it.

:)

jjestrada1, Sep 20, 2021
  2. Ian Ser Win User

CPU Goes to 100 % when playing any game?

Hi Jessica,

There can be many causes for High CPU usage. However, before I can give you troubleshooting steps, I'd like to know more information about this issue. Please answer these questions below:

• When did the issue start to happen?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10 device? This
      article
      can help you get this information.
    • Do you have third-party antivirus software installed on your device?
    • Can you give me an example of the games that you play?

I'll be waiting for your updates.

Ian Ser, Sep 20, 2021
  3. Black Screen, GPU Fan 100% When Playing Games

Hey all,

I have had an issue for the last few months, specifically when trying to play Rocket League, where between 5-20 minutes into playing, both of my monitors will go black and my GPU fan will kick to 100%. I can't remember if this coincided with any NVIDIA driver updates, but any subsequent updates have not helped. I am currently running the latest NVIDIA driver version (441.66).

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps that I have taken for this:

• RAM
    • Ran Memtest64 overnight, ensuring that 100% RAM utilization. No errors were returned.
    • Reseated the RAM, blowing out the slots to ensure no blockages.
    • Tested different memory slots on the board.
    • Swapped out RAM with new RAM from Microcenter, no improvements.
    • RAM was originally OC'd to 3200 MHz via XMP. I turned this off and the RAM is running at stock speeds listed above.
    • BIOS
    • Updated BIOS to the latest version
    • Performed a Clean Boot and attempted to play. Game still crashed out within the first match or so.
    • GPU
    • Updated all drivers
    • Updated drivers, including a complete DDU uninstall/reinstall.
    • Swapped power cables from the PSU
    • Moved GPU to lower PCI-E slot
    • Reseated the GPU, blowing out the slot after reseating
    • Deleted the video driver from Control Panel
    • Storage
    • Ran chkdsk with no errors
    • Ran defragmentation on the HDD and Trim on the SSDs
    • Ran sfc /scannow with no issues
    • Game Files
    • Ran validator on game files (as a note here, after one crash, I ran the validator and it corrected one file. However, I played a game immediately after and crashed. Running the validator after that crash had no files fixed)
    • Installed the game on all three storage devices

I have attached the BSOD logs. Please assist!

bmduffy2020, Sep 20, 2021
  4. LPChip Win User

After the latest update I cant play games without 100% of the cpu being used.

Is using 100% CPU because of Gaming Apps makes CPU slower?

The answer to this question is yes and no depending on how you look at it. If your CPU is in use for the full 100%, a 2nd process will obviously have no CPU time left to do anything. As a result, CPU time is reduced for the game in order to get some CPU time for the second app. As a result, you are now utilising say... 105% where a max of 100% is possible, so the system will be 5% slower as it has to slow things down in order to reach the full potential.

However, if you mean: will lots of 100% usage make the CPU slower in the long run, as in: will it wear down the CPU?

The answer to that question is no. A CPU has no degradable parts, so it cannot slow down. It is possible that extensive 100% usage can cause for the CPU's lifespan to be reduced, given that it is electronics, but a CPU is one of the few components that is designed with stress in mind. A CPU will often run at 100% capacity for extended periods of time, and that is fine, especially if you keep in mind normal gaming use. You can expect a CPU to last for a few years easily if you use it as a gamer does, keeping in mind that the thermal condition is sufficient and no overclocking was done.

There are gamers who push their processor to the limit, overclocking them and running them at 100% most of the time. Even these users still get a few years of life out of their CPU's.

That said, part of gaming is the GPU. If a dedicated graphicscard is present, it will alleviate some (not all) of the stress of the CPU that is meant for graphics. Suffice to say, if no GPU is present, then the CPU does not only have to compute things like AI, but the graphics too, which makes the chances of running on 100% a lot more real.

Furthermore, a game is designed to run as best as possible in most of the cases, so it is very likely for any game to max out in one way or another. Some games are not programmed for multi-core use, so they may seem to not run at 100% cpu, but they still max out one of the cores. Say, you have a 4 threaded CPU, you may see that you have 26% CPU usage. 25% of the CPU is 1 thread maxed out, and 1% of usage for other stuff that runs in the background, for example, the task manager you opened to view the cpu usage.

So, to answer your final question, and to summarize this answer, Although it is a matter of opinion whether you should or not, I can safely say that it will not harm your pc if you continue to play roblox in such matter that your pc will die in a week or month from now. You may reduce the lifespan of your CPU, but if you don't want that, then why did you buy a computer?

Ask yourself this, can I upgrade/replace my computer in a year or two? As in, do you have the financial means then? If the answer is yes, then you are fine and could continue to play Roblox. If not, then consider how much you need your PC for other things.

LPChip, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

After the latest update I cant play games without 100% of the cpu being used.

1. After the latest update I cant play games without 100% of the cpu being used. - Similar Threads - latest update cant

2. Game Laggy CPU being at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Laggy CPU being at 100%: I reseted my pc win-10 two days ago. I tried to play game it kept lagging and i can't fix it.I don't know what to do.if i need to show my pc stuff please tell me how;...
  3. Game Laggy CPU being at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game Laggy CPU being at 100%: I reseted my pc win-10 two days ago. I tried to play game it kept lagging and i can't fix it.I don't know what to do.if i need to show my pc stuff please tell me how;...
  4. Cpu goes to 100% when I play games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cpu goes to 100% when I play games: Whenever I play games My CPU and memory skyrockets to 100% and I've been looking through google for the past hours trying to find a fix to this solution but all those things did not work. and whenever i do try to play with this high CPU it makes my laptop lagInfo about...
  5. Cpu goes to 100% when I play games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu goes to 100% when I play games: Whenever I play games My CPU and memory skyrockets to 100% and I've been looking through google for the past hours trying to find a fix to this solution but all those things did not work. and whenever i do try to play with this high CPU it makes my laptop lagInfo about...
  6. Cpu goes to 100% when I play games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. CPU at 100% when playing games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU at 100% when playing games: I was testing something because my desktop computer kept crashing and I was trying to find the issue. So while running a game I had task manager open and every time I was in the game my cpu percentage was 100. I dont know if this is normal and so I'd like confirmation and...
  8. CPU 100% After Latest June Windows Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU 100% After Latest June Windows Update: Hello!After updating Windows I've been having issues with task manager saying my CPU is 100% when there's no apps open to cause such high usage. I can't even play my PC Games due to the game stuttering leading to the game to eventually freeze and become unplayable. My CPU...
  9. CPU 100% After Latest June Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CPU 100% After Latest June Windows Update: Hello!After updating Windows I've been having issues with task manager saying my CPU is 100% when there's no apps open to cause such high usage. I can't even play my PC Games due to the game stuttering leading to the game to eventually freeze and become unplayable. My CPU...
  10. CPU @ 100% after update

in Cortana
    CPU @ 100% after update: Just updated this machine to the latest windows 10 1903? Now the CPU runs at close to 100% on Idle. Had the same on another desktop at home and was resolved by removing the latest "quality" update. Is this a know issue?...