Windows 10: After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...

Discus and support After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; At 23.55 last night, Cumulative WU KB4551762 finished downloading but didn't install. The message gave me the choice to either "Restart now" or "wait... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Taffy087, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Taffy087 Win User

After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...

At 23.55 last night, Cumulative WU KB4551762 finished downloading but didn't install. The message gave me the choice to either "Restart now" or "wait until my active hours". But my active hours are 08:00 - 01:00 so it should have restarted.

Is there any action that I should take?

PS In case it's relevant, I subscribed to receive Microsoft Security Advisory Notifications but I didn't get one for this update.

:)

Taffy087, Mar 12, 2020
  2. Joan Pin Win User

Disabling "Active Hours" (Windows Update Automatic Restart)

Hi,

Windows 10 provides the latest updates that automatically download and install once it's available. The active hours helps you to prevent inconvenient restarts. You may only change the active hours set on your device. To do this you may follow the steps
    provided on this
    link
    . Should you need any assistance, feel free to share your thoughts with us.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Joan Pin, Mar 12, 2020
  3. Installing Updates and Restarting During my Active Hours?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the inconvenience caused to you as the Active Hour feature is not working as it should be.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that fix the issue.

Configuring active hours with Group Policy.

Please refer the section for Configure active hours
    and make the changes accordingly. If the PC installed with Windows 10 Pro then follow the steps under
    Configuring active hours with Group Policy and if it is
    Windows 10 Home then follow steps under Configuring active hours through Registry
    from this article: Manage device restarts after updates.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify
    the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take
    backup of registry.

Please let us know the status of the issue,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 12, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -...

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

1. After the latest WU, my laptop would not automatically restart - "Active Hours" problem -... - Similar Threads - latest laptop automatically

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  4. After latest update Laptop buffing for hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After latest update Laptop buffing for hours: Hello, my laptop jumped into its configuration mode as it does from time to time. It reached 100% then began buffering. It must be a few hours now that I have the little circles. I'm using a laptop and running Windows 10 Is anyone else experiencing the same issues? How...
  5. My laptop screen get off after half and hour automatically.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop screen get off after half and hour automatically.: My laptop screen get turn off automatically after half and hour of use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-screen-get-off-after-half-and-hour/47d50349-cd46-440b-be89-15f58bbef371
  6. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting: My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the system. If I get hoe from work and I don't use the laptop that evening, it stays in my backpack all night. There have been...
  7. What's caused these strange problems (especially Notepad) after the latest WU? Win10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What's caused these strange problems (especially Notepad) after the latest WU? Win10: I'd been working on my laptop since 11pm last night. When shutting it down an hour or so later I saw that there had been a Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1809 for x64-based Systems. I powered it up again and found the following had happened: (1) four Word...
  8. my laptop restart automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    my laptop restart automatically: my laptop keeps restarting on its own after reinstalling the windows it show stop code- VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-restart-automatically/2e34e380-77e6-4d22-9305-377f2a914a1f
  9. WU - restart message AFTER PC has restarted Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WU - restart message AFTER PC has restarted Win10: My laptop was successfully updated by Cumulative Update KB4462933 on the 3rd November but at 05:03 today I once again got this silly message: [ATTACH] Can't Microsoft get its act together and give us this info BEFORE they restart, please?...
  10. Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Pesky UAC messages returned after latest WU: I had a major Windows Update this morning. I'm now getting that PITA message "Do you want this application to make changes to your computer?" every time I run various programs that did not cause that previously. I'm 99% sure my UAC setting (one from the bottom) has not...