Windows 10: After the w10 may update my pc turns right back on a few seconds after I shut it down

Discus and support After the w10 may update my pc turns right back on a few seconds after I shut it down in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The May update started it's updating yesterday when I shut my pc down. So I expected it to finish today on start up. This it duly did. I now have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GarrAxe, May 15, 2019.

1. GarrAxe Win User

After the w10 may update my pc turns right back on a few seconds after I shut it down

The May update started it's updating yesterday when I shut my pc down. So I expected it to finish today on start up. This it duly did. I now have the issue that about 5-10 seconds after my pc powers down (shutdown through start-->shutdown) it powers itself right back on again. I have disabled power up via USB devices (keyboard and mouse) in the bios, I have unchecked 'allow this device to wake up pc' on the kb/m in device manager and have disabled wake for tasks and quick start up. Now I am stumped. Any ideas? It was fine last week prior to the May update.

:)

GarrAxe, May 15, 2019
  2. MartynasB Win User

PC only shuts down on a second try

Hello,

I posted here yesterday asking for help on a similar problem yesterday: GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown - Windows 10 Forums

Basically, what happens now is as follows: When I press shutdown from start menu and the PC screen goes black at the end of it, I can hear components stopping their work, but pretty much all fans keep working (PSU fan, case fans, GPU fans). They work for 20-30 seconds and then I hear a Mobo beep (the same one you hear when you turn on your PC) and the PC boots back like it's nothing. When I reach login screen and shut down again from there, the PC fans again keep spinning after components turn off, but only a few seconds this time. The PC components then turn on and immediately turn off together with the fans.

Sorry for the poor phrasing, English is not my native language and I try my best here.

This complicated double-take shut down process only began after I disabled fast startup in Windows 10 (some guys on various forums suggested that I do that). Before I disabled them, the problem was like the one I linked to in the beginning. The whole problem started after I installed a second HDD. During the installation I also removed the GPU to allow me to fix some cables.

Besides the shut down, the PC seems to be working just fine. No crashes, no BSODs - nothing. Only this strange shut down.

Things I've already tried:
    • Disabling fast startup
    • Removing my second hard drive
    • Changing its SATA plugs
    • Changing SATA cables
    • Changing HDD power connector cables
    • Removing and putting back the GPU
    • Updating chipset driver
    • Shutting down from login menu

MartynasB, May 15, 2019
  3. PC turns on for a split second then shuts off

hrm...so the original symptom is that your PC would turn itself off after a couple of seconds. you reset the bios and now it doesnt shut down, but instead it just sits at the screen as it looks for a network address? try resetting your bios again.

Easy Rhino, May 15, 2019
  4. After the w10 may update my pc turns right back on a few seconds after I shut it down

PC turns on for a split second then shuts off

When I hit the power button my rig turns on then shuts off less than a second later. All my fans spin then it shuts off then tries to turn on again but does the same thing. Im thinking its my psu but I dont want to jump to anything yet.

ShadowFold, May 15, 2019
Thema:

After the w10 may update my pc turns right back on a few seconds after I shut it down

1. After the w10 may update my pc turns right back on a few seconds after I shut it down - Similar Threads - w10 may update

2. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC turns itself back on after shut down: Happened to me this morning, i got off my computer and clicked on shutdown and immediately after it restarted. I retried shutting it down today but it just restarts....
  3. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC turns itself back on after shut down: Happened to me this morning, i got off my computer and clicked on shutdown and immediately after it restarted. I retried shutting it down today but it just restarts....
  4. PC turns itself back on after shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds: In newly installed Windows 10 Pro Adobe Acrobat X PRO keeps shutting down after several seconds,It does not matter whether Acrobat is started alone or just opened from pdf file.It does not help when started with Administrator privileges.The same problem I have on 2nd computer...
  6. Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds: In newly installed Windows 10 Pro Adobe Acrobat X PRO keeps shutting down after several seconds,It does not matter whether Acrobat is started alone or just opened from pdf file.It does not help when started with Administrator privileges.The same problem I have on 2nd computer...
  7. Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds

8. PC shuts down after a second when turned on

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down after a second when turned on: Hi! I have a problem w/ my PC. When power on is pressed, the cpu fan/heatsink, psu fan and power led will turn on for a second then turns off. I try to test my psu. connected to a paper clip to green and black pins then turn it on. the psu fan is spinning and it doesnt turn...
  9. App shuts down after few seconds of work

in Windows 10 Customization
    App shuts down after few seconds of work: A I use an app from ASUS, which is called "Asus Splendid". It enhances picture and I make color temperature warmer. And it worked fine while I was on 1709 but few weeks ago I updated to 1803 and this application doesn't start up with windows 10 so I have to launch it myself,...
  10. PC shuts down after turning it on

PC shuts down after turning it on: Hello. I have a problem with my pc. I have windows 10 installed, and have formatted and installed windows all over again trying to fix this problem but it didn't do it. When I turn on my pc, the windows logo appears for a few seconds and then the computer shuts off. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 may update