Windows 10: After update all programs and user profile moved to windows.old

Discus and support After update all programs and user profile moved to windows.old in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Not sure what happened and junior was on the PC. Have a desktop with fairly new pc, not used much and win10 home. Was going to add some video software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by virtualgeorge, Jul 10, 2018.

1. After update all programs and user profile moved to windows.old

Not sure what happened and junior was on the PC. Have a desktop with fairly new pc, not used much and win10 home. Was going to add some video software so first created a system restore point. Something asked about an update but don't remember what it said and some one else was using the pc and I didn't see what they did.

After the update my usual user that would show on startup was gone, just said "other user" so had to create another account before I could login, my user account was gone.

in the c drive I see there is a windows10update folder, windows folder and a windows.old folder.
    The windows.old folder has all the programs I have installed to date and I see my original user account folder is there.

When I go to system restore there are no restore points even though I created one before the update. Any tips on how to go back the state before the update?

Or can I copy the programs & user profile from my windows.old folder would someone know what I did to create the windows.old folder in the first place?

thanks!!
    -George

:)

virtualgeorge, Jul 10, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

3. How to move the user profile folder to an external hard drive

*Confused I found a Windows 10 Forums article online about how to move the Users profile folder to an external drive, but it was not something easily understood by a not-too-techie user.

If there are some easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to do this for a recently upgraded Windows 10 (not Windows Professional or Windows Enterprise) OS, I would be happy to get them.

wondermuse, Jul 10, 2018
  4. kormath Win User

After update all programs and user profile moved to windows.old

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

After update all programs and user profile moved to windows.old

1. After update all programs and user profile moved to windows.old - Similar Threads - update programs user

2. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  3. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving user profile to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  4. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot access old user profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot access old user profile: I have switched user profiles on my laptop a couple of years ago when I domain joined the device but need access to my old profile (which used the same username but wasn’t domain joined). I can still see it in c:\users\ but I do not see it in PC Management or when I use ‘net...
  6. Moving all user settings (and installs?) to new profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving all user settings (and installs?) to new profile: Hi all, I recently changed my name and don't really want to see my deadname in every user file path, however I'm aware that the only way to really fix that is to create a whole new user and pass everything over to them, which is fine for general files, but I was wondering if...
  7. Move my c:/Users/{profile} to the D:/users/{profile}

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move my c:/Users/{profile} to the D:/users/{profile}: I have an SSD as the C: drive. and a large HDD as the D: drive. Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 I want to keep the stuff I do not use all the time off the SSD drive. I have two users Admin and {J} account. I want to move the working data for the {j} account to...
  8. User profile moving with Sysprep questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User profile moving with Sysprep questions: I previously did a clean install of Windows 7 & moved the User profile along with ProgramData (and manually installed programs to the same drive for those that allowed it & I felt wouldn't benefit from being on a SATA SSD). I notice that the method for doing this in Windows...
  9. moving all mail and profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    moving all mail and profiles: trying to move all my old mail from old laptop with win7 that I used thunderbird on to new laptop with win10 and the mail client that came with it or to outlook. Could use any help at all....
  10. can't delete old user profiles

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    can't delete old user profiles: help please i cant delete the old profile name in user/ folder microsoft tech support ruined it 85151

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10move user profile windows.old

2. programs moved to windows.old

3. windows 10 all programs moved to windows old

4. after upgrade all programs are missing and in windows.old