Windows 10: After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle

Discus and support After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop did the big update this morning and now for the last couple hours it has been stuck on a black screen with a white spinning circle. What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by XXL JIGSAW, Sep 4, 2016.

1. After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle

My laptop did the big update this morning and now for the last couple hours it has been stuck on a black screen with a white spinning circle. What should I do? I'm inexperienced in areas like this and I don't want to ruin my computer.

:)

XXL JIGSAW, Sep 4, 2016
  2. Keith1904 Win User

Windows update stuck

Hello!

On windows 10, Just did fall creators update, computer had black screen with loading circle which did not progress, restarted computer and now black screen with windows logo but no spinning circle. What should I do ? Thanks

Keith1904, Sep 4, 2016
  3. JohnReese Win User
    stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle

I had laptop which I used to download latest Insider version of Windows 10. From this ISO I created boot able USB with this ISO since I had no DVD disc which 10 would not fit. I used spare 8 Gb Flash drive. I had blank 1 Tb hard drive. I just remove
    the non-working hard drive and install new install of Windows 10 on the blank 1 Tb hard drive. I have working system, I didn't have the time to troubleshoot the old drive. Maybe sometime on this weekend I may re-install the non-drive and see if I can troubleshoot
    the drive. I tried all the troubleshooting options nothing work except new install. I believe I had power failure which in turn cause corrupted section on hard drive.

JohnReese, Sep 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle

Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update black screen issues
    = how to roll back.

Further idea: if indeed it's a graphics driver problem, you may also be able to get to safe mode (by booting from a Win 10 boot disk or USB drive - iso freely downloadable or you can create the bootable drive using MS's media creation tool), and then replace the graphics driver with one that is compatible - e.g. the last approved by your manufacturer. Then you'd need to stop Win 10 replacing it as per tutorial in the Tutorial section. This you should be able to do if reasonably experienced.

Please complete your system specs - we don't know what sort of PC you have. Thanks!
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

We strongly recommend using disk imaging routinely- e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage. You can then restore the image and have your PC back up running as it was. Can be very useful when your PC won't boot if there's no other recovery method.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  5. Mmmx235 Win User
    JIGSAW, Try unplugging any type of USB wireless connections. I encountered the same problem and had that screen for almost 12 hours until I unplugged the USB dipole for my wireless mouse and restarted my laptop. Now it's right back to updating.

Mmmx235, Sep 22, 2016
  6. I was formatting my laptop cause of a disk issue and ran into the same problem of having a black loading screen. I wasn't even able to go into the BIOS and forcing it to shut down and restarting did nothing. Then I tried unplugging my USB connector for my wireless mouse and it's back to formatting again. Thanks, I've been scratching my head for hours and I doubt I'd have found this solution any time soon.

Username5000, Sep 25, 2016
  7. Meatstack Win User
    This did it for me as well. Thank you! Was my wireless mouse USB dongle

Meatstack, Sep 27, 2016
  8. djarvie Win User

I spent hours trying to upgrade to the Anniversary edition. First time it ended up with a blank screen. Next time it ran all night and stuck at 99%. Then I used the media creation tool, disabled AV and firewall, turned off wi-fi but still it went to a blank screen with spinning circle. Then I found this thread. I removed the wireless mouse dongle, rebooted and in 15 minutes I had the great message "We've updated your PC...". Now I have the Anniversary edition 1607 working. I can't thank you guys enough!

djarvie, Nov 3, 2016
  9. XweAponX Win User
    try pressing ctrl/alt/del, see if you can get Task manager to come up, if it does, then you can start explorer.exe. Usually if it is spinning, it's hung up on Winlogon or some other process though. Try booting from an install medium, then you can get into recovery options and you can do a system restore. Most of these hangups are due to a bad driver, if you can roll back, you can use "wushowhide.diagcab" (google for a download) to prevent driver updates for the device that might be causing this.

XweAponX, Nov 3, 2016
  10. XweAponX Win User
    however: usually after a big update, it will take a long time for the update to finish, I've had to wait up to an hour yesterday, it was because anniversary edition had been installed. I rolled it back immediately.

XweAponX, Nov 3, 2016
  11. MrTom Win User
    Holy crap!! It worked.

I was just minding my own business uninstalling a few junkware programs and did a restart. Only to find after the blue logo with spinning circles the screen changed to all black with a slightly lagging spinning circle, like the screen refresh rate was different. But anyway, it would just sit there forever and do nothing. I tried a reboot with the same issue.

While the black screen was there with the spinning circles I unplugged the USB keyboard/mouse wireless dongle from the back USB port and it instantly continued to boot after that!

WTF Microsoft!?

MrTom, Nov 14, 2016
  12. XweAponX Win User
    GREAT! I'm glad something worked. I'm going to have to add this to my bag of tricks now, seems like it happened to me on an 8.1 machine. I worked on it here, then gave it back to it's owner who had all different KB/Mice/Display, and it got stuck detecting his hardware, and his Ethernet was disabled and I hadn't seen that (Using a Netgear Wifi stick). Once I got it plugged in here, everything worked so I just added his hardware and display and removed mine, and presto. The system depends on the Ethernet being able to connect to download the drivers.

Seems like Windows 10 did that to me last week when I was assembling a new PC for my neighbor and it did an Anniversary Update on me. It had to re-detect all of the hardware. The whole process took about 3 hours just to finish updating, and I rolled back from Anniversary ed almost immediately.

I had forgotten about busy or stuck hardware.

If your machine is expected to be run daily and you don't care about updates, you can just disable the Windows Update Service. You can enable it when you want to update. Just remember to turn it back on as "manual" not "Automatic", and then just start it and you;ll be able to get updates. I also use the Wsusupdatehider.diagcab (I'll have to check spelling) to hide all drivers and other unwanted updates, you enable the update service then run the diagcab, then pick "hide updates" and then after it populates hide all of the updates you don't want. I always check every KB article before I allow just one update in.

XweAponX, Nov 14, 2016
  13. MrTom Win User

The system I'm dealing with wasn't connected to the internet here, and already has AU. I had already rebooted it a couple times. The customer had done a recent remote session after calling one of those "microsoft support" phone numbers that was stuck in their browser.

System was working just fine. Just did that reboot after uninstalling a couple remote connection programs, then got hit with this issue. After removing the USB dongle and it booted I checked the device manager it had about 6 failed HID devices with an "!", HID-Compliant Consumer Control Device, and HID-Compliant Vender Defined Device. I tried to delete one of them and device manager froze. I rebooted and all the bad devices were gone and plugged the USB dongle back in.

So I don't know if Windows 10 kept trying to create multiple HID devices for the USB dongle and failing or what. But now it's normal and it's plugged back into the original USB port and boots okay. I also disabled Fast Boot for the heck of it because I do have another computer here that won't boot after a "Shut Down" if it's enabled. Now there's only one "HID compliant mouse" device in "mice and other pointing devices". Go figure. Just another Windows 10 inconsistency bug.

MrTom, Nov 14, 2016
  14. XweAponX Win User
    Well most of the drivers for the most common devices mice and keyboards etc. are supposed to be included, right? But I always like to be connected to the Internet and I tell the system to download the drivers from there, I always get better drivers that way- except for display drivers, if they are not automatically installed when I do the initial installation of windows 10, then I use any CDs that they gave me to install.

So maybe this has nothing to do with the ethernet it just gets stuck at a certain point I've noticed that certain printers do this to me too, I mean even on windows XP I will have to unplug the printer before the device will boot and then after it comes up I plug it in and it detects the printer and everything's fine. I've had it also happen on windows seven and eight as well especially with brother printers.

I don't know why the system is trying to load new drivers after an update seeing as the proper drivers were already loaded before the update so this is just a continuous "WTF" from Microsoft

XweAponX, Nov 14, 2016
  15. MrTom Win User
    Well, the piece of shit. I connected to the internet and did about 10 or so updates for Office and windows for this month. After the reboot it did the same thing. Right when I removed the USB mouse/keyboard dongle it continued to boot. But, the initial logon background showed up, I click it and it zooms in on where the user name and password box should be, but it's empty. I selected Restart and it's just hanging at Restarting. Forced a power off/on and it's booting again. Plugged the USB dongle back in. Maybe it's broke or failing, hmm.

MrTom, Nov 14, 2016
Thema:

1. After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle - Similar Threads - update Black screen

2. Stuck at black screen with a spinning loading circle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck at black screen with a spinning loading circle: So basically i started my pc and saw a blue screen saying something about an automatic repair and i just clicked the left button and now started up again and am stuck on a black screen with the spinning loading circle ab please help fr fr...
  3. Stuck at black screen with a spinning loading circle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck at black screen with a spinning loading circle: So basically i started my pc and saw a blue screen saying something about an automatic repair and i just clicked the left button and now started up again and am stuck on a black screen with the spinning loading circle ab please help fr fr...
  4. Stuck at black screen with a spinning loading circle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle.: Before this happen I opened task manager my cpu was at 100% used while I had no apps open i decided to restart my pc after that it just got stuck on the spinning circle. Tried to full restart my pc but i didn’t let me and i don’t know what to do. I’m not sure what it is. I...
  6. Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle.: Before this happen I opened task manager my cpu was at 100% used while I had no apps open i decided to restart my pc after that it just got stuck on the spinning circle. Tried to full restart my pc but i didn’t let me and i don’t know what to do. I’m not sure what it is. I...
  7. Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle.

8. Win10 Black screen with spinning loading circle + Black screen of death when booting in...

Win10 Black screen with spinning loading circle + Black screen of death when booting in...: Hi Guys, i`m having trouble with a combination of a stuck blackscreen with loading spinning circle windows 10 and on top of that a black screen of death when wanting to reboot into safemode. This means i`m not able to repair anything.I have two SSD drives in good health with...
  9. Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle

Windows 10, stuck at black screen with loading spinning circle: Hello, We tried many times this steps, but nothing is happen: Press and hold the power button until the computer shuts down. Press the power button again As soon as the spinning wheel starts, press and hold the power button Repeat until automatic repair starts (usually...
  10. computer black screen and spinning status circle but will not finish load after a microsoft...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer black screen and spinning status circle but will not finish load after a microsoft...: i can not even get to a safe boot or a recovery screen. it a dell flat screen all in one computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-black-screen-and-spinning-status-circle/fa5cdcf5-7821-4f1c-b516-c8ae54c917a5