Windows 10: After update desktop icons turned white

Discus and support After update desktop icons turned white in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; It happened after update, now the icons are white and I cannot get them back. I think the best solution is reset to factory settings. Help me to reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GaryRomeo1, Sep 20, 2020.

1. After update desktop icons turned white

It happened after update, now the icons are white and I cannot get them back. I think the best solution is reset to factory settings. Help me to reset my PC

:)

GaryRomeo1, Sep 20, 2020
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Sep 20, 2020
  4. After update desktop icons turned white

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

After update desktop icons turned white

1. After update desktop icons turned white - Similar Threads - update desktop icons

2. White desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    White desktop icons: Sometimes, this desktop icon you can see it in the screenshot would just turn white, but it happens only after certain system reboots etc. I had the same issue with other shortcuts before and I had to go to the original path of certain programs and create a new one from there...
  3. Desktop Icons - White Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons - White Box: a little white box has appeared on my desktop in my icons. When I click on an icon the box ticks but I have to tick again to open the link. Its a minor annoyance, but how do I get rid? I think it might have been something to do with winaerotweak but unsure. [img] 173497
  4. White Bar on desktop and no icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    White Bar on desktop and no icons: Hello, I usually sleep my computer rather than shut it down. But when I go onto my desktop after waking it up, there are no programmes. Just a white box in the top left corner. Sometimes there is another one placed randomly on my desktop. Here's what I'm talking about:...
  5. white outline on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    white outline on desktop icons: When i highlight a desktop shortcut then click off of it it will have a white border and i dont know why it does it at all i dont know when this started as well i just logged on one day and it was like this anyone know why this is/why its happening?...
  6. Google Chrome Turns Desktop Icons White????????

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome Turns Desktop Icons White????????: Hi, This started recently within the last few days. Whenever I open my Google Chrome browser then my desktop shortcut icons will briefly turn white for a couple of seconds then they go back to normal. If I open a second browser tab in Google Chrome, then the icons do not...
  7. white icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    white icons on desktop: OK, I just redid windows 10, installed most of my programs, why are there white icons on the desktop? I have 13 icons, 10 are white, is it a corrupt file somewhere? I thought I would have a like new laptop when I did this but far from it, nothing but more problems. 147973
  8. WHITE ICONS IN DESKTOP MODE

WHITE ICONS IN DESKTOP MODE: Tablet Mode is ok I have written about this before and it was suggested that I use windows creation tool to fix the problem I did that twice but it still very much the same prior to that was given some commands for command prompt so copy and pasted them and did it manually...
  9. White border on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White border on desktop icons: [img] Apologies if this topic has been discussed -- can't find it in Search. How can I get rid of the border? 124992
  10. White, blank, desktop icons

White, blank, desktop icons: Hello, My problem is this: All of the desktop icons for websites that I have loaded on my desktop suddenly all turned to white, blank icons. They were installed using the drag & drop method, which also no longer seems to work. What is the solution? I have tried to remove...