Windows 10: After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...

Discus and support After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Yesterday I suddenly lost the ability to use Bluetooth on my primary pc last time this happened updating the system fixed the issue so I went to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by mpears3, Feb 12, 2024.

1. mpears3 Win User

After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...

Yesterday I suddenly lost the ability to use Bluetooth on my primary pc last time this happened updating the system fixed the issue so I went to the update tab in settings and saw two updates were failing to install. After some searching I found the article " KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update" and followed the instructions as listed however the update still failed. Following this I tried again and restarted the computer when it loaded up again a lot of data was missing. From the looks of it all of the data from before 2021 is gone for some re

:)

mpears3, Feb 12, 2024
  2. 1adog1 Win User

Support Article to Resize Windows Recovery Partition is Incorrect for MBR Disks

Good morning everyone, today after encountering the KB5034441 update error I decided to use the following support article to increase the size of my windows recovery partition:

KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

I'll note that I followed the MBR instructions as it seems my disk is still using it instead of GPT. At first glance the process went smoothly and I was able to reactivate the Windows Recovery Environment without issue, however on reboot I noticed something strange. The new partition I had just made showed up with a drive letter, and a run of reagentc /info revealed that my C: Partition had become my Windows Recovery Environment Location. After going through the process again, it looks like the recommended format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools" command changes the partition type from Recovery to Primary.

To fix this required another command with that partition selected after it had been formatted: set id 27 - it seems the format changed the ID even though 27 was specified when the partition was first created. After doing that and re-enabling the Windows Recovery Environment, the location now shows the correct partition and Disk Management correctly identifies said partition as the Recovery Partition.

1adog1, Feb 12, 2024
  3. rk3066 Win User
    Resize a Partition/Install

Nevermind. Fixed the issue by Resizing the main partition with a live USB linux OS

rk3066, Feb 12, 2024
  4. After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...

How to hide recovery partition (/set partition as recovery type) after following KB5028997 instructions?

I solely created the F drive (as a partition of the C drive) to act as the recovery partition after following the instructions. At the time I believed this would create a new partition that was of the recovery type (as labelled in the list disk function of diskpart) and as such would not show up as its own individual 790MB drive hence the reason for asking a way to hide/ change the type from primary to recovery like what I had before following the instructions laid out in "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update". So yes I would like to move the WinRE to the F drive and have the F drive listed as a recovery type so it is hidden.

Livid_Tech, Feb 12, 2024
Thema:

After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...

1. After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer... - Similar Threads - update failed install

2. I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...: I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. In the instructions you need to enter the <OS partition index>. How can I find the OS partition index....
  3. I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...: I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update. In the instructions you need to enter the <OS partition index>. How can I find the OS partition index....
  4. I'm trying to do KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  6. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 99 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved...
  7. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 1024 KB Partition 2 System 99 MB 451 MB Partition 3 Reserved...
  8. KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update

9. After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...

After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...: Yesterday I suddenly lost the ability to use Bluetooth on my primary pc last time this happened updating the system fixed the issue so I went to the update tab in settings and saw two updates were failing to install. After some searching I found the article " KB5028997:...
  10. After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...

in Windows 10 Customization
    After update failed to install tried to resize partition as per KB5028997 article computer...: Yesterday I suddenly lost the ability to use Bluetooth on my primary pc last time this happened updating the system fixed the issue so I went to the update tab in settings and saw two updates were failing to install. After some searching I found the article " KB5028997:...