Windows 10: After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...

Discus and support After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The reason for asking; with an effective storage of @28gb and 500mb available after the install; I uninstalled a couple of drivers; went back and had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by D.Charner, Oct 20, 2021.

1. D.Charner Win User

After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...

The reason for asking; with an effective storage of @28gb and 500mb available after the install; I uninstalled a couple of drivers; went back and had about 6gb free and 500mb of old Windows may not be the precise terminology. So presumably - maybe I could have had 13.5GB free and the implication is that the difference - 6.5GB is somewhere buried and useless on the computer. Does this seem correct or is there some arcane reason that deleting 13GB of old windows only leaves half that amount in storage?

:)

D.Charner, Oct 20, 2021

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 20, 2021
  3. Disk Cleanup after The anniversary update

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Disk Cleanup. I will certainly help you.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, it is safe to delete all the files with extension .tmp in the temporary files folder.

I suggest you to try deleting the temporary file manually by the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Go to Windows key+ R and type
      temp
    • Select all of the files and folders within the Temp folder and delete.

Please follow the below link to run disk cleanup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Oct 20, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Oct 20, 2021
Thema:

1. After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been... - Similar Threads - update 21H1 Disk

2. disk cleanup for Windows after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk cleanup for Windows after update: I just installed: 2022-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5015814 in both of my desktops, One an HP, the other a Dell.After updating in both computers when I try to use "disk cleanup for Windows" I get a lock sign next to Temporary Internet Files and...
  3. disk cleanup for Windows after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk cleanup for Windows after update: I just installed: 2022-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5015814 in both of my desktops, One an HP, the other a Dell.After updating in both computers when I try to use "disk cleanup for Windows" I get a lock sign next to Temporary Internet Files and...
  4. KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.: I'm trying along with probably millions of others to reduce the size of Winsxs. I almost never use Windows Update and I don't think I've ever uninstalled a Windows Update. Apparently a lot of Winsxs are backups of Windows Updates. Couldn't I delete at least most of the older...
  5. KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.

KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.: I'm trying along with probably millions of others to reduce the size of Winsxs. I almost never use Windows Update and I don't think I've ever uninstalled a Windows Update. Apparently a lot of Winsxs are backups of Windows Updates. Couldn't I delete at least most of the older...
  6. After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...: The reason for asking; with an effective storage of @28gb and 500mb available after the install; I uninstalled a couple of drivers; went back and had about 6gb free and 500mb of old Windows may not be the precise terminology. So presumably - maybe I could have had 13.5GB free...
  7. After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...

After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...: The reason for asking; with an effective storage of @28gb and 500mb available after the install; I uninstalled a couple of drivers; went back and had about 6gb free and 500mb of old Windows may not be the precise terminology. So presumably - maybe I could have had 13.5GB free...
  8. After update to 21H1 Disk cleanup showed Old Windows with about 13gb; should this have been...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Disk cleanup not working as it should

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk cleanup not working as it should: Hi guys am new here, as in first time posting, but I have used ur site in the past. I really need help with a issue I have, as in everytime I run Windows 10 disk cleanup utility and clean up everything suggested by disk cleanup, for some strange reason where it says windows...
  10. Missing Windows Update Cleanup after cancelling Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing Windows Update Cleanup after cancelling Disk Cleanup: I tried to be as concise as possible in the title but I will give as much info as I can here: I noticed my laptop was lagging a bit so I checked my disk space and noticed it was at about 11 GB. I decided to initiate Disk Cleanup via Setting-System-Storage-Free Up Space Now...