Windows 10: After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or...

Discus and support After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, This has happened to me recently on two occasions after updating software, and I haven't managed to solve it. I would update a program, then not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Liv_1981, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Liv_1981 Win User

After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or...

Hi,

This has happened to me recently on two occasions after updating software, and I haven't managed to solve it.

I would update a program, then not be able to use the program afterwards.

Occasion 1 - Flowjo

I performed an update. The program was installed, click on the icon and an error comes up saying 'program already running'.

This forces the program to close. When task manager is open, I see that the program is not running.

Occasion 2 - Prism

I performed an update. After restarting the computer, when I click on the icon the program has disappeared.

I cannot find the program in 'Add or Remove programs'.

But when I try and reinstall the program, the program is apparently already on my computer?

I have tried doing a Windows Restore already which didn't fix the issue.

Many thanks for your help

:)

Liv_1981, Nov 29, 2018
  2. DCnewbie Win User

Are my Registry Files all legitimate programs?

Isn't there a web tool whereby I can check if programs listed in my REGISTRY FILES are legitimate programs?

DCnewbie, Nov 29, 2018
  3. happy Win User
    Are There Any Free Programs That Open .EPUB Files On PC (Windows Vista)

Are there any free programs that open .epub files? I tried googling for some free software but can't seem to find any that actually opens .epub files. Do you guys have any knowledge of a program that exist?

Thanks

happy, Nov 29, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or...

What is "Program" in taskmanager

Exactly, er was no program.exe and the "open file location" was greyed out.
    I was able to remove it with "Autoruns".
    After that I scanned with malwarebytes, no big problems found.

P4-630, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

1. After updating a program, why does Windows detect a program file but I cannot open it or... - Similar Threads - updating program why

2. I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM: I accidently remove some permissions in hkey_classes_root and then i cannot open windows program like file explorer, control panel, windows setting and it came a notification you may not have the appropriate permissions for acces the item, and the sound is error too, please...
  3. I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM: I accidently remove some permissions in hkey_classes_root and then i cannot open windows program like file explorer, control panel, windows setting and it came a notification you may not have the appropriate permissions for acces the item, and the sound is error too, please...
  4. Programs not opening after 2004 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs not opening after 2004 update: Hi there I recently updated my computer to the latest 2004 build, to be honest I did it without thinking, windows update is telling me to install, have no reason to disagree with it. BIGGEST MISTAKE! So after 3 attempts at the update which all came down to an external...
  5. Windows 10 update detection of open programs faulty

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update detection of open programs faulty: I sometimes put my computer to sleep in the middle of work and expect to be able to return to it shortly. This may be in a half hour or overnight. I am a developer and sometimes leave programs in a state so I can remember where I was and can continue updates. I am usually...
  6. choosing a program to open a program file

in Windows 10 Customization
    choosing a program to open a program file: why can't I drop and drag a program file in windows 10 and it becomes the default program for that program file? I has worked from windows 95.........
  7. Unknown program opening open file with program dialogue.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown program opening open file with program dialogue.: I keep having this issue every morning when I get on my computer. The open with program dialogue will be open asking what I would like to open *File* with. Said file is unknown *I did not open anything as I was away from the computer* My instinct tells me to click notepad...
  8. Some Programs Not Opening After Windows Update

Some Programs Not Opening After Windows Update: Have Windows 10 build 1803. Installed the updates that were released yesterday. Since then some of my programs are not opening, the cursor spins for a couple seconds then nothing. Did sfc /scannow, it found corrupted files. Those were fixed, but the problem persists. I...
  9. OPENING FILES/PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OPENING FILES/PROGRAMS: HI THERE,COULD ANYONE HELP I HAVE LOADS OF FILES AND PROGRAMS I NEED DESPERATLY TO USE BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO OPEN AS ALWAYS SHOWS ERROR CANT OPEN 'EXE' FIES HOW DO I OPEN THEM WHAT DO I NEED TO GET OR WHAT DO I NEED TO DO PLEASE HELP AND THANKS....
  10. Why install programs to \Program Files\?

Why install programs to \Program Files\?: Well, MS programs like Office and Windows related, sure. But I use a bunch of smaller utility programs and it's difficult to edit .ini files or others because access is denied. Accordingly I have set up a Programs directory and installed several there in lieu of PF....