Windows 10: After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error

Discus and support After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Continuation from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SachaSavastano, Nov 29, 2022.

1. After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error

Continuation from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-update-to-22h2-due-to-0x800701b1-and/0b73553a-b6b3-47bf-a4cc-be9d5080f87a?page=4

:)

SachaSavastano, Nov 29, 2022

2. Windows 10 0xc0000098 error

Hi,

0xc0000098 is caused by an incomplete or corrupt configuration in the BCD registry hive. To help get the best solution to your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions below:

• Are you experiencing the blue screen error during boot up?
    • Have you done any changes on your computer before the issue started?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    If you're able to boot up your computer, we suggest following the steps on this
    link
    to help resolve blue screen errors.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Nov 29, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    error code 0xc0000098, blue screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are getting a Blue Screen error on your computer. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• What is the complete Blue Screen error message you receive?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?
    • Are you able to boot the computer to desktop?

I would suggest you to unplug all the external devices from the computer except mouse and keyboard and try to boot the computer.

If you are unable to boot the computer to the Desktop, I would suggest you toBoot your PC in Safe Mode: Try booting the PC to safe mode and check if it is still crashing. Refer the article
    Start
    your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

In case, the PC is working fine in Safe Mode then you may try performing Clean Boot and see if the PC boots normally. Refer the article
    How
    to perform a clean boot in Windows

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer.
    However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

Note: Please refer the section
    Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

If the PC crashes after performing clean boot, I suggest you to perform hardware clean boot while in Safe Mode and check if that helps.

Hardware clean boot:

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and disable the devices is Device Manager:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Now, expand Display adapters,
      Printers
      , Sound, video and game controllers one by one.
    4. Right click on the devices inside the section and click on
      Disable device.
    5. If asked for restart click on restart later and disable all the devices.
    6. Close the device manager window and restart the computer.

You may also refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors

However, as Thagstrom has suggested, please share the dump files with us to get to the root cause of the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 29, 2022
  4. 浩锬苏 Win User

After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error

Boot Error 0xc0000098

Hi my surface go is experiencing a boot error of 0xc0000098 after an overnight update.

浩锬苏, Nov 29, 2022
Thema:

After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error

1. After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error - Similar Threads - Updating 22h2 during

2. crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Gaming
    crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098: So yesterday I updated my computer. I had some chores to do so I didn't see what happened but I assume it crashed during the update process. When I try to boot my computer I get this bluescreen that says "system thread exception not handled"After restarting my pc I get a...
  3. crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098: So yesterday I updated my computer. I had some chores to do so I didn't see what happened but I assume it crashed during the update process. When I try to boot my computer I get this bluescreen that says "system thread exception not handled"After restarting my pc I get a...
  4. crash during update, BCD error 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Updating to 22h2, during boot I get blue screen and 0xc0000098 error: Continuation from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-update-to-22h2-due-to-0x800701b1-and/0b73553a-b6b3-47bf-a4cc-be9d5080f87a?page=4...
  6. Blue screen of death during boot

Blue screen of death during boot: Automatic repair locks up on blue screen. “Your PC did not start correctly”. Gigabyte GAZ77M-D3H motherboard Intel core i5 3570K Above are 8 years old and have never had any firmware updates. I attempted to overclock i5 which produced a very small increase in...
  7. Blue screen during updates

Blue screen during updates: Hello everyone! I'm using Windows 10 Home edition. I've been experiencing problems with Windows update. The updates start downloading and after 10-30sec I get a blue screen with stop code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. The only way to keep my computer working is to disable the...
  8. File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc0000098

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc0000098: Today when I turned on my Surface Go it briefly announced that it needed to do a system update, then went to a blue screen announcing the above. As I don't have a keyboard I can't see what needs to be done.. Could it possibly be flat battery..?...
  9. error code 0xc0000098, blue screen

error code 0xc0000098, blue screen: After running chkdsk c: /r/x for error code 0xc0000098 - message given failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50, I am now running sfc/scannow any suggestions?...
  10. Boot Error 0xc0000098

Boot Error 0xc0000098: Hi my surface go is experiencing a boot error of 0xc0000098 after an overnight update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-error-0xc0000098/ff388e56-5972-4f23-8cf2-6e5ac641bdb0