Windows 10: After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature

Discus and support After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just installed the build 1809 over my existing Windows 10 Enterprise install and after that the Start menu search feature (and also the brightness... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Juliano Nunes Silva, Oct 3, 2018.

1. After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature

I just installed the build 1809 over my existing Windows 10 Enterprise install and after that the Start menu search feature (and also the brightness function keys) stopped working.

I've already tried to re-register Windows apps using Get-Appxpackage, run sfc /scannow, logged in with another user's account, restarted the Windows Search service, rebuild the search index, enabled Cortana (that were disabled by a policy).

Nothing works and going back to a previous build isn't an option.

:)

Juliano Nunes Silva, Oct 3, 2018

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 3, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    Weird start menu problem, I've been searching for hours

Hi, the 2nd picture is not a current start menu picture- and certainly not related to the anniversary edition- assuming you have the anniversary edition that is. (build 14393.51).

'All apps' has vanished from the start menu in the current build- that was in build 1511 from November 2015 until August 2nd when the new build was released. MS now lists all items the start menu finds as per your 1st picture. If you want something different, you'll need a replacement 3rd party start menu.

(I see 3 icons to the left of the list of programs in my Win 10 start menu- this is configurable in Settings, search for choose which folders..).

So your picture is of the current start menu, anniversary edition.

Suggest it's worth searching the internet for articles on what's changed in the anniversary edition.

dalchina, Oct 3, 2018
  4. After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature

Start menu search problems

Hi Michael,

In order for us to better assist you, we would like to ask few questions:

• Did you make any changes or updates to your computer prior to the issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Since you're having issues with the Start menu, we suggest checking this
    article
    and follow the methods provided to troubleshoot Start menu.

Update us on the outcome.

Reymichael Ros, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature

1. After updating to build 1809 I can't use Start menu search feature - Similar Threads - updating build 1809

2. Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?: Hello I accidentally removed the ability to search for documents using the start menu. I used to be able to do it, by just clicking the start button on the bottom left corner, and then typing in the file name, but now all I get are web results. Is there a fix for this? I...
  3. start menu and search not working after Build 19041.264 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start menu and search not working after Build 19041.264 update: Hi there, I recently updated my pc to insider preview Build 19041.264, and my pc start menu started freezing and goes blank. the search menu no long pops up when I click the icon on the taskbar, and it no longer works in file explorer as well....
  4. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Features and How to use it

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Features and How to use it: [ATTACH]Windows 10 Start Menu Search has evolved year, and it is integrated with the Windows 10 Timeline with the Windows 10 v2004 Feature update. In […] This article Windows 10 Start Menu Search Features and How to use it first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Can't search anything using Windows Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't search anything using Windows Start menu: Hi, I can't search anything using Windows start. Never had this problem before. It's slowing me down a lot. [ATTACH] Type anything and I'll get nothing on the start menu. Please help! TIA!...
  6. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  7. I can't use Search in Start Menu

in Cortana
    I can't use Search in Start Menu: Hi, When I open Start Menu and start typing something I get the white block. How I can fix that issue? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-search-in-start-menu/192fc523-48a4-4654-89b8-e6e9f35c6ebc"
  8. Start menu's search randomly stops working after update to 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu's search randomly stops working after update to 1809: Hi, We rolled out 1809 in our company couple of days ago. After update I noticed annoying problem with start menu. When I hit win-key and start to type a program's name (outl..., mstsc etc) the start menu grays out and goes unresponsive. It comes back to life if I hit...
  9. Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start Menu can't access the system files after the 1809 Update: The problem is Start Menu can't access the system files. For example - When I click on File Explorer button on the Start Menu it can't start it. [ATTACH][ATTACH] - When I use the Search to start things, it does the same thing [ATTACH][ATTACH] But - I can access the...
  10. Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to use Search in start menu since 1709 feature update: I am pretty stumped. Since the latest feature update on my laptop only ( my other computer is ok) I cannot use the search function in the start menu I start typing and it freezes and I cannot click any of the search results the only way I can open software is my manually...