Windows 10: After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour

Discus and support After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win10 64 PRO, ASUS Z270AR Mobo, 32GB 3200Mhz ram, i7 KL CPU at 4.2GHz, LQ cooler, 850W PSU, Gfx MSI nVIDEA RTX1080 Ti TRIO 11GB iTB Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JOHNBYERS1, Aug 14, 2020.

1. After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour

Win10 64 PRO, ASUS Z270AR Mobo, 32GB 3200Mhz ram, i7 KL CPU at 4.2GHz, LQ cooler, 850W PSU, Gfx MSI nVIDEA RTX1080 Ti TRIO 11GB

iTB Samsung nVme 970 PRO SSD, Crucial nVme SSD, 4 x HDD 7200 drives , Msoft kbrd and mouse

Two nights ago my PC auto upgraded to Win10 PRO 2004. Before this it was operating fine with all my softtware Afteru pgrading I checked my app software video editing and everything appeared to be working OK, xcept that 2004 seemed a bit slower. than before.

Rather than do a sys image backup over my previous image disk I decided to buy a new drive and keep my previous sys image just in case .

But some strange things happened.in stages as below while installing the new drive.

Stage 1. My new drive was recognised under Disk Management as uninitialised but could not be partitioned/formatted as these were greyed out. {Only item could be accessed was "properties" but Format not available from here now

.Re booting changed nothing.

I then removed the new drive, installed on my Win8.1 PRO PC where it was parted and formatted as usual without problem.

Re installed in Win10 where it was now recognised as ready to use.

It did report it needed to be chkdisk'd , which was done.....I have noticed that disks formatted in Win8.1 give a chkdsk error when used in a Win7PRO or Win10 PC....this seems to be a normal thing over the years

Stage 2. Making a sys image on the newly formatted drive:

The correct parameters were set up and it started.....but failed "Cant make sys image ..failure to prepare the back up image of the volumes of the back up

ERRORS 0x 807800C5 and 0x 8004245E

This was done,but again the same messages were repeated.

The sys image could not not made

Stage 3. Check on Win10 files using sfc /SCANDISK

this failed with message "There is a System Repair Pending which requires a Reboot Restart"

But when restarted get the same message again..its an infinite loop.

Stage 4 I checked on Update to see if there was a s/ware correction from Msoft.

It stated no updates available BUT message said "Cleaning up" restarted PC and screen massage "Cleaning Up please wait"

Stage 4 After this completed and rebooted I foud sfc and formatting were now available and working

sfc/ SCANNOW reported no errors

Stage 5 Ths should have resolved the sys image backup ??? NO !!!

This STILL cannot be made "failure to prepare.............as before but this time with No hex errors reported

CONCLUSION: I cannot make a system image back up under Win10 2004.

This is needed as one of my video edit apps allows only a single re installation,then you have to buy another license.

Under the old version I had no problems with any of the above.

Should I go back to a previous restore point and forget about 2004 ???

many reports about 2004 issues on the web , but I thought they would have been resolved by now my install date 13/08/2020

Another issue: some of my installed software utilities are no longer available , but appear to be hidden as attempts to re install tell me they are already installed, but are not accessible

Anyone else having such issues with 2004 ??

John

n

:)

JOHNBYERS1, Aug 14, 2020
  2. Arkane78 Win User

Win10 Pro (1903 - Build 18362) System Restore behaviour

I've noticed some strange behaviour with creating a System Restore Point in Windows 10, this may be an oddball way of doing things but it's worked for me for many years prior to upgrading to Windows 10 x64 (from Windows 7 x64).

In short - I had a scheduled task that ran daily - every 4 hours, which created a System Restore Point in Powershell.

The code for this is as follows:

Code:
    Checkpoint-Computer -Description "[CreateSR] Scheduled Restore Point" -RestorePointType MODIFY_SETTINGS
    Now, this worked perfectly in Windows 7 (and it may have been working perfectly in Windows 10 post-upgrade - I can't be certain), however - the point is running the above command on my PC will certainly create a System Restore Point on all drives but my
    System Drive (the same drive on which Windows is installed).

Looking at System Restore, it shows the restore point as a valid one to use - so far, so good.

If I undertake the following test process:

1. Create Folder on Drive C: (can be called anything)
    2. Inside folder, create a text file, any name - write a couple of words and save the file.
    3. Execute Powershell above.
    4. Modify file you created in Step #2 and save.

This SHOULD give me Previous Versions of the file at the time I executed step #3 - but it instead tells me there are no restore points available.

If I modify the Powershell script to use APPLICATION_INSTALL as the RestorePointType instead of MODIFY_SETTINGS, I still get a restore point in System Restore, but still nothing in Previous Versions.

If I check any other drive than C: - I get plenty of previous versions, with timestamps which match when I took the snapshots, either manually or on schedule.

If I disable the schedule and instead use a VBScript to take a snapshot (code below):

Code:
    swinmgmts = "winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore"

GetObject(swinmgmts).CreateRestorePoint "[CreateSR] Scheduled Restore Point", 7, 100
    I do indeed get System Restore Points as before and they are present on Drive C:.

If I use an older version of the above code (which I used successfully on Windows 7) - substituting 7, 100 with 0, 100 - it again, creates a restore point as far as System Restore is concerned, but doesn't show any old files (repeating the steps above).

I'm wondering if anyone else has similar issues using Automatic System Restore Points or whether my Windows 10 is a little odd in that it is happy to create Restore Points while using the APPLICATION_INSTALL flag with WMI, yet won't do the same task with
    the MODIFY_SETTINGS flag. The fact it won't do either under Powershell confuses me even more.

I'd like to add the following - there are no events in Event Viewer that suggests VSS is having any issues or problems, my disks are good (chkdsk /f), the OS is good (sfc /scannow) and I'm definitely executing everything as an Administrator - be it schedule
    tasks or manually performing the steps.

This may well be the result of a Windows 10 update or this may be the behaviour of Windows 10 right from the start that I simply never noticed - but to be fair, how often do you check things if there isn't a problem with it? After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004  it fails to create  a system image and other odd behaviour :)

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions would be helpful - if any more detail is required, let me know.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'd set the SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency DWORD to 0 (so I can create as many restore points as I like).

Edit #2: This seems to happen on another PC I have tried it on, so it looks like something is either broken with 2 independent Win10 PCs (same OS build, architecture) or there's some strange misconfiguration somewhere - or maybe MS changed something with
    a patch?

Arkane78, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Megahertz Win User
    Win10 2004 upgrade created a second recovery partition

Win10 Pro Ver 2004
    Just discovered that when I upgraded from Ver 1909 to 2004 a new Recovery partition was created.
    It's same structure as the other.
    Ver 1903 has the recovery partition as the fist one.
    Ver 2004 has the recovery partition at the end of the C: partition

Megahertz, Aug 14, 2020
  4. MacNala Win User

After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour

System Image Backup failed with odd message

I have tried to run a system image backup on my Win10 VM and it fails with an odd message.
    the location must not be "compressed or encrypted or sparse".
    Now I understand what compressed and encrypted mean and the location is not those, but sparse?

Details
    Host: Win7 64bit SP1
    Guest: Win10 64 bit build 10565

with TBs to spare

MacNala, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour

1. After upgrade to Win10 PRO 2004 it fails to create a system image and other odd behaviour - Similar Threads - upgrade Win10 PRO

2. Odd Trackpad Behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd Trackpad Behaviour: Windows 10 ver 20H2. SONY VAIO laptop with Samsung 860 SSD, 4GB RAM. Initially, the laptop worked fine. Recently an odd problem has surfaced. I prefer to use a wireless mouse (Logitech V450 Nano) which behaves as expected. However, the laptop's own trackpad is (for want of a...
  3. Create System Image fails 0x80780172

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create System Image fails 0x80780172: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Trying to create an image on an external drive so I can reformat my hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image-fails-0x80780172/e1659cc5-f5e0-4ca5-bafd-09c4f4ef7a4f
  4. Failed to create system Image in Windows 10 2004 0x80780119

Failed to create system Image in Windows 10 2004 0x80780119: Win10 2004! C: drive about 41GB, Backup Drive 241GB! Getting error message that there is NOT enough space to create the shadow copy on the storage location! [ATTACH] Tried the same on trhee different source drives, one of them with pristine install of Win10 only 31GB!...
  5. Attempt to create a system image fails

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Attempt to create a system image fails: I am new to Windows 10. I just tried, for the first time, to use the legacy "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" to create a system image on an external hard drive. The creation failed with an error: The backup failed. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check...
  6. "Create a system image" "The backup failed"

"Create a system image" "The backup failed": Windows 10 Pro Build 1809 fully updated Trying to create a system image. Steps followed: File History - System Image Backup New windows opens - "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" Click "Create a system image" Browse to external USB drive Process commences then this...
  7. System Image Backup failed with odd message

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Backup failed with odd message: I have tried to run a system image backup on my Win10 VM and it fails with an odd message. the location must not be "compressed or encrypted or sparse". Now I understand what compressed and encrypted mean and the location is not those, but sparse? Details Host: Win7...
  8. Odd WMP behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd WMP behaviour: I burn CD's to use in my car to save wrecking the original disk and have done so for some time now. I now have a little problem that I have never seen before in that in 10 WMP picks the last three tracks and marks them as having a problem with burning. I first thought...
  9. Odd BSOD behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Odd BSOD behaviour: Hello everyone, and I hope you are all doing well. My laptop has recently been subjected to a few BSODs. The first one was about a few weeks ago. The BSODs typically involved the screen going a pink fuzzy texture (graphics messing up), and restarting. It started showing...
  10. Odd behaviour.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd behaviour.: I use Windows 10 and I have recently had the most annoying behaviour start happening. Out of nowhere it just started randomly opening the start menu, task manager and auto-clicking the button that initiates scroll with my trackpad. It does it randomly and gets right in my...