Windows 10: After upgrading from Win 7 due to sys upgrade, Win 10 locked files that were on a seperate...

Discus and support After upgrading from Win 7 due to sys upgrade, Win 10 locked files that were on a seperate... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi guys, So I have a studio computer that has .wav samples (HUGE sample libraries that I paid for) on an internal drive (physically separate drive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GeorgeZon, Feb 26, 2019.

1. GeorgeZon Win User

After upgrading from Win 7 due to sys upgrade, Win 10 locked files that were on a seperate...

Hi guys,

So I have a studio computer that has .wav samples (HUGE sample libraries that I paid for) on an internal drive (physically separate drive from the OS). I upgraded my OS to WIN 10 (retail Home) due to the stupid Win10 requirement for new gen chips (don't preach, I was happy with Win7, just needed a faster CPU).

Ever since installing Win 10 on my new system some of the sample files (always a whole folder of files) are encrypted and can't be accessed by Win 10 (production software, media player, none of it works). I've read up about this and apparently it's related to encryption from Win7 that has locked the files so they can't be used by other PCs / users (say on a network or if you're hacked or what ever).

That's all fine and dandy, but I didn't encrypt any of my sample files (as they don't work in production software if they're encrypted, learned that years ago!). How the heck did this happen?

I've spent about 6 hours fluffing about with this and I've just about had it. I don't have encryption keys or certs as I never encrypted anything? How do I fix this.

Thanks,

George

:)

GeorgeZon, Feb 26, 2019
  2. warup89 Win User

Uninstall Win 7 upgrade

I recently upgraded one of my Xp rigs to Win 7, and i did a clean install [custom install > full] but gave me an option to install Win 7 on my secondary HDD which i did, but now i just want to go back XP since i don't really need win 7 on that rig. Weird thing is that when i boot [from my XP HDD, as selected by BIOS] I get the option to choose either OS, even though the Win 7 OS is on the other HDD.

Quick question:
    How could I uninstall Win 7 from my secondary HDD, without affecting my primary HDD, since [i think] some of the Boot files of Win 7 are on my Primary [XP] HDD.

-New to 2 OS'es on one machine *Eek! After upgrading from Win 7 due to sys upgrade, Win 10 locked files that were on a seperate... :eek:

warup89, Feb 26, 2019
  3. LeeBerge Win User
    Upgrading Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Hi Once Again

I just finished performing the steps you suggested I do in your last email to upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. I eliminated all of the temporary files and then performed a check disk on my hard drive; no errors or bad sectors were found. After doing those
    steps, Win10 failed to install again so then I went back and performed all of your suggest procedures from the past several emails all at once....disconnecting all of my external devices, doing the system file check, and then deleting all of the temporary
    files following by the check disk routine. Once again the Win10 download failed to install.

This is what happened when I tried the upgrade: I began the download from the Microsoft flag download icon in my bottom toolbar rather than using the Media Creation tool program applet that had tried several times before to upgrade windows.. The download
    preceded normally and then the computer went into the installation process. The preparing for upgrade splash panel came up and then the desktop showed configuring update for Windows 10 appeared. The upgrade got to 87% complete once again and then my computer
    went into the reboot mode. The computer rebooted back into Win 7. The Windows update panel appeared with a panel that said "upgrade to Win10....start installing the newest versions of windows". I did not get a Win 10 failed to install as I did when using the
    Media Creation tool.

As I said, the reboot took me right back into my normal Windows 7 screen which worked normally.

That's all the information I have this time around.

Lee

LeeBerge, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Jererermy Win User

After upgrading from Win 7 due to sys upgrade, Win 10 locked files that were on a seperate...

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 Puzzle

Ok, so here is my problem.

I currently have my 1.5 TB hdd partitioned in half. The first half is blank, and the second half has Windows 7 installed and activated. Unfortunately, I learned that I cannot combine the 2 partitions back together to diminish the partition split and maximize
    my hdd space like intended because I am only able to increase the first partition or shrink the 2nd.

So my problem is that I would like to upgrade from my Windows 7 to Windows 10 (which I am fairly confident in how to do it) but I need to use the free upgrade available to me to install Windows 10 to the 1st partition and not the 2nd one.

I created a USB bootable Windows 10 using the Windows 10 setup tool, but it gives me the following warning:

• If you are going to install Win 10 on your PC clean for the first time, you'll need a Win 10 product key.
    • If you are going to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, you won't need to enter a product key.
    The problem is that I need to sort of do both. I want to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 but on the 1st partition instead of the 2nd one that currently has Windows 7.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for me?!

Jererermy, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

1. After upgrading from Win 7 due to sys upgrade, Win 10 locked files that were on a seperate... - Similar Threads - upgrading due sys

2. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading from Win 7: Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 or 11. I get to the download tool and when I try to open it, I get an error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win-7/33a030e5-ec18-4d25-8168-f0f73e62b8e3
  3. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  4. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  5. upgrade to win 10 from 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade to win 10 from 7: I upgraded briefly about 2 years ago from 7 to 10 and then within an hour went back to win 7. Since that time my "setup backup " and thus backup would not complete.. a couple of days ago after some digging i was getting error code ox80041321 for which after trying a couple...
  6. upgrade from win 7 to 10

upgrade from win 7 to 10: I have an existing desktop computer running with windows 7. I purchased a new windows 10 dvd. My windows 7 is win 10 compatible. All the help ie videos etc seem to be based on using the windows "media creation tool" and not the official Microsoft dvd. If anyone can guide me...
  7. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  8. BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10: I have a pc I built myself that's been running on windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. I've left this pc on for a week at a time without a bluescreen or even shutdowns. Ever since I've upgraded to windows 10, I've been getting store exception errors every day or two....
  9. Upgraded from Win 7

Upgraded from Win 7: I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 via the free upgrade a few years ago. Do I need to keep my original Win 7 installation disks & Product key? 131586
  10. upgrade from win 7 to win 10. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEMPTION igdkkmd64.sys

upgrade from win 7 to win 10. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEMPTION igdkkmd64.sys: Hi everyone, *cakeLet me state my huge thanks and appreciation for any help i recieve right up front. *cake The pre flight check all indicate I should be fine. I did the additional, Removed antimalware and virus, Done checkdisk, Imaged my partitions Upgraded...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade due to bios from win 7 to win 10 issues