Windows 10: After upgrading my CPU/MOBO, Windows 10 is no longer activated and will not a find device...

Discus and support After upgrading my CPU/MOBO, Windows 10 is no longer activated and will not a find device... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Alright so I was one of the many that upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few years ago and since that time I've reformatted after purchasing new SSDs and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Oceansmack, Mar 21, 2020.

1. After upgrading my CPU/MOBO, Windows 10 is no longer activated and will not a find device...

Alright so I was one of the many that upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few years ago and since that time I've reformatted after purchasing new SSDs and such and each time I never had to add an activation number, it always activated after I logged in with my Microsoft account. However, after recently changing my motherboard and cpu, 3 days later it tells me my Windows is not activated. I've tried the troubleshooting options, I even called tech support and that wasn't very helpful. I have no clue where my license is and have never been prompted for it before. Basically I'm asking am I screwed or are the activation servers possibly down?

Side note when I go thru the trouble shooting option and click 'I changed hardware on this device recently' it tells me it can't find a device to activate Windows, it still shows my old mobo/cpu device as well as the new one but won't find either while searching on Windows. It's just strange that I never had any issues before with changing hardware.

:)

Oceansmack, Mar 21, 2020
  2. rzn6jw Win User

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses).

This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at Microsoft.com.

Am I going to have any problem activating the PC after the hardware upgrade, or is it as simple as updating and signing on the my Microsoft account?

Thanks.

rzn6jw, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Changing my MOBO and CPU a

I'm doing PC upgrades and changes entirely for my new mini-itx build.

I'm not sure about how the process would work, but what are the appropriate steps I need to undertake before making my changes?

• My personal data and files are backed up to my Onedrive, and have nothing to lose in terms of data.
    • I have an additional copy of Windows 10 (but would prefer not to use it in-case I do another PC build).
    • My MOBO and CPU upgrades are polar opposites of my current hardware:
      • OLD HARDWARE
        • Intel i5 6500
        • AsRock Killer MOBO
      • New Hardware
        • AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
        • Asus Strix X-470
    This is my first time doing a particular change so guiding steps would be greatly appreciated! Things like how to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall Windows, etc.

Chris Anguiano, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Amol S. Win User

After upgrading my CPU/MOBO, Windows 10 is no longer activated and will not a find device...

Changing my MOBO and CPU a

You will have to buy windows license if you change the motherboard, unless you made the computer originally in the first place, or bought a license key.

Amol S., Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

After upgrading my CPU/MOBO, Windows 10 is no longer activated and will not a find device...

1. After upgrading my CPU/MOBO, Windows 10 is no longer activated and will not a find device... - Similar Threads - upgrading CPU MOBO

2. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  3. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade mobo and cpu: Hello im upgrading my motherboardand cpu,and my question is what i need to archivemaybe my windows?Also were I can find my windows key?Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-mobo-and-cpu/62c21727-4492-4af4-87a4-eab84b67dd49
  4. Upgrade mobo and cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't activate Windows after upgrade mobo: Hello, 2 days ago, i upgrade my motherboard pc, and i can't Activate windows in my new motherboard https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-activate-windows-after-upgrade-mobo/5297c91c-a807-418c-9be1-12edf0072896
  6. Activation error after MOBO CPU change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation error after MOBO CPU change: Been using this key since 2015, changed the mobo a couple times already. Never had a problem. This week I finally got a new CPU and a new mobo and have an issue activating Windows 11 Pro: Error 0xC004C060HelpATTTiago Gass...
  7. I upgraded the MOBO and CPU. Can not activate Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I upgraded the MOBO and CPU. Can not activate Win 10: I upgraded the MOBO and CPU. Can not activate Win 10, digital license associated with my Microsoft Acct. on my sons' computer, he is the admin with his own Microsoft Acct. can not add an acct. on his comp until win 10 is verified. any help would be appreciated. Tanks Kevin...
  8. Windows activation after mobo and cpu change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows activation after mobo and cpu change: Hello, I've recently replaced my mobo and cpu and now my Windows 10 is not activated. Before the hardware upgrade I'd checked the activation was linked to my Windows account and I'm signed in on that same account post-upgrade but the troubleshooter isn't working. When I...
  9. Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade

Windows 10 activation after a mobo+cpu upgrade: I recently changed my mobo and cpu and after i had to reinstall windows but when it booted up. I noticed the watermark in the bottom right corner. And i tried to activate windows and i dindt succeed i tried the option to activate windows after a hardware change and i...
  10. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...