Windows 10: After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we...

Discus and support After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; We migrated to Windows 10 and we have some users complained about not able to open .xml reports in MS Word. When they try to open any work xml document... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Cocamar, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Cocamar Win User

After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we...

We migrated to Windows 10 and we have some users complained about not able to open .xml reports in MS Word. When they try to open any work xml document in their documents this message appears.

After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we... c98beea5-ceca-4a96-b905-30b306f5b374?upload=true.png

After further investigation, we found the issue just happen when we redirect My Documents. We are using Office 2013 Pro and we tried to migrate to Office 2016 but the issue still. We tried to change some registry key as advice in this article:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...properly/1ba06028-65ee-48fb-b0b0-75402a999b2f

The Office Handler is the default application to open xml and for Excel documents we don't have any problem at all.

It was wondering if someone could help us regarding this.

Thank you.

Also we tried to apply this workaround

Moved from: Office / Word / Windows 10 / Office 2016

:)

Cocamar, Sep 23, 2019

2. words 2016 as default instead of words 2013

I have two version of Microsoft words 2013 and 2016, the reason I got both version somehow when I upgrade to words 2016 , the 2013 version is not deleted. so every default words (.docx) files still open by default in words 2013 not 2016.

how to make words 2016 as default words program instead of 2013? I am using Microsoft Windows 10, has tried to change directly on default apps, but it only shows words program with no specification either words 2013 or 2016.

whale_steward, Sep 23, 2019
  3. microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Sep 23, 2019
  4. After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we...

Problem when opening a XML file

Hi Roberto - From another source I received a suggestion to open the offending file in Wordpad and to save it as an Office Open XML document which would have an extension of '.xml.doc' then remove the '.doc' part

That idea unfortunately hasn't worked for me. Having saved the file as suggested I then tried to open it. In Internet Explorer and MS Edge I get a completely blank page. In Notepad, Wordpad or Office XML Handler (which uses Notepad) I just get unintelligible
    "mumbo jumbo". In XML Notepad it states "Data at the root level is invalid Line 1 Position 1 and asks if I wish to open it using Notepad. Answering yes just results in "mumbo jumbo" as before.

The file only opens correctly in Word 2016, (i.e. showing all the elements etc.) but if I try to open any of the other XML files using Word, I get a message that "The file contains custom XML elements that are no longer supported in Word. Saving the fie will
    remove these elements permanently", and only the data for each element is shown for these files and there is no sign of the various elements themselves.

Don't know if any of the above gives some indication of what is wrong, but it's all very frustrating . Can't help feeling that it is something very simple! I would stress that the other four xml files used by the program all open properly in a Edge window

Peternosmas, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we...

1. After upgrading to Windows 10 Microsoft Word 2013/2016 doesn't open xml file when we... - Similar Threads - upgrading Microsoft Word

2. Microsoft Office Attachments cannot be opened in Outlook 2016 and 2013 after windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Office Attachments cannot be opened in Outlook 2016 and 2013 after windows update: Hi,Some laptops in my company suddenly cannot open Microsoft Office attachments. The error says the file is corrupted and cannot be opened. So, I copied the Outlook PST file to another laptop and attachments can be opened. I found out that, the issue happened after the...
  3. Microsoft Office Attachments cannot be opened in Outlook 2016 and 2013 after windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Office Attachments cannot be opened in Outlook 2016 and 2013 after windows update: Hi,Some laptops in my company suddenly cannot open Microsoft Office attachments. The error says the file is corrupted and cannot be opened. So, I copied the Outlook PST file to another laptop and attachments can be opened. I found out that, the issue happened after the...
  4. Where To Buy Legit Word 2013/2016?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Where To Buy Legit Word 2013/2016?: No reply to my other thread, seems it's not doable anyways, so as per the title. all I can seem to find is references to phone apps or online/cloud versions. all I want is Word that I can install and use when I want, and not over the net/clouds etc. TIA 149529
  5. WINDOWS 10 AND WORD 2013

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 AND WORD 2013: I am using Dell computer Inspiron 5447 and Office 2013. The computer on purchase windows 8.1 was installed subsequently upgraded to windows 10. Now my computer hard disk is getting into bad shape and hence I was advised by dell service center to replace the same with a new...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer opens a phantom Word 2016 when trying to preview a .doc file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer opens a phantom Word 2016 when trying to preview a .doc file: I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on a Dell 7480 laptop with 8GB memory. When I have 'File Explorer' open and click on a .PDF file the preview pane shows the file without any issues, however when I scroll or click to/on a Word document the laptop fan goes hyperactive and...
  7. Opening embedded files in Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening embedded files in Word 2016: I receive files created in Word 2013 containing embedded files. When I open the files in Windows 2016 there is no Enable Editing button in the bar at the top of the document. I am therefore unable to open the embedded files. How can I open such embedded files, please?...
  8. Problem when opening xml file

Problem when opening xml file: I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10 browser) window and all...
  9. Office 2013 issues, upgraded to Office 2016...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2013 issues, upgraded to Office 2016...: Since upgrading my main desktop to Windows 10, I began having trouble with my Office 2013 installation. I would get the "swirling circle" and the "application has stopped responding" error messages very frequently. I was able to buy the Office 2016 suite for $10 through my...
  10. Windows 10 Drag/Drop any file to Word 2013 and 2016 fails

Windows 10 Drag/Drop any file to Word 2013 and 2016 fails: Topic: I want to be able to drag a file from explorer, desktop, web browser link, etc; into Word 2013 and/or 2016. Software of importance Windows 10 x64 Office 2013 x64 Office 2016 x64 So to start off after upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10, I was no...