Windows 10: After W10 1607 to 1809 update, SSD not booting automatically anymore

Discus and support After W10 1607 to 1809 update, SSD not booting automatically anymore in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says. I reinstalled W10 Pro via a bootable USB stick (which has 1607 on it) onto my 4TB SSD. First it was only 1607, and everything was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cmaesing, May 6, 2019.

1. cmaesing Win User

After W10 1607 to 1809 update, SSD not booting automatically anymore

As the title says.

I reinstalled W10 Pro via a bootable USB stick (which has 1607 on it) onto my 4TB SSD. First it was only 1607, and everything was working fine: My SSD was split into (I think) 4 partitions, all of them GPT (vs MBR) so that esp. the one with the W10 installation becomes bootable via UEFI mode (as opposed to legacy boot mode).

After all is said and done now, all W10 updates installed etc, I now am on 1809 with the problem that W10 does not boot automatically anymore. Upon start of my laptop, I have to hit the "boot options" key, and then manually choose my SSD - and W10 will fire up nicely. Changing it to legacy (and choosing harddrive as first option) does not work, of course - but neither does changing it back to UEFI. In other words: The UEFI boot mode was working perfectly under 1607, but does not anymore under 1809. No changes in the bios software.

The options I am presented with in UEFI mode are:
    • Windows Boot Manager
    • Windows Boot Manager (it indeed does show twice)
    • EFI Network 0 for IPv4
    • EFI Network 0 for IPv6
    Interestingly enough, when I go in to the boot options (right at the start screen) I see all these options AND my SSD. But it is not listed under the UEFI boot options.

My rig is an Alienware 17 R2 laptop, currently on bios version A09. A10 is the latest one - I tested that, but it did not work, so am back on A09 (which was working fine prior to my W10 reinstall) ...

That said, I did have a final look at my SSD via the MiniTool Partition Wizard (which I used in the first place to convert - after W10 1607 install - from MBR to GPT). I did not take a screenshot prior to the 1809 update, but I think that it used to have 4 partitions (now it has 5). So I somehow feel that the 1809 update added a new partition here, which causes the SSD to not auto boot anymore ... Attached is a screenshot with the list of the 5 partitions as I see them right now. My guess is adjusting one of these partitions will do the trick - but I have zero idea what exactly I am to do with which one.

Thanks for any insight!

:)

cmaesing, May 6, 2019

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, May 6, 2019
  3. jbunch07 Win User
    Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile After W10 1607 to 1809 update, SSD not booting automatically anymore :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, May 6, 2019
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Windows 10 update to version 1607

I record every one of my Windows customizations in a Word document, including step by step process to create them.

Then whenever clean installing, setting up new PC's, or dealing with major OS upgrades (now referred to as Feature Updates) I can just go down the checklist and get everything back to where it was in about an hour or so.

The kicker is that, at least with the 1607 upgrade, even the settings changed, so my cheat sheet was not exactly step by step anymore.
    But at least you get to see just how many defaults were reset.
    My favorite was that Disk Defragmenter was back on Automatic and my SSD was on for defragmentation. Nice!

Thema:

1. After W10 1607 to 1809 update, SSD not booting automatically anymore - Similar Threads - W10 1607 1809

2. Updating windows10 from 1607 LSTB to 1809 LSTC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating windows10 from 1607 LSTB to 1809 LSTC: Hello. Is there someone to help me update windows?I'm using Widows10 Enterprise LSTB1607 now.But i want to update it to LSTCv1809 or v21H2Actually i don't think it's gonna be possible to update it to v21H2 because it's not a IOT Enterprise.However i think it seems possible to...
  3. Automatic Repair after Booting to Other SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic Repair after Booting to Other SSD?: Have Windows 10 running on SATA SSD. No problems but decide to upgrade to NVMe PCI SSD for even faster loading speed. 1. Unplug original SSD, 2. Install new NVMe SSD then Windows from USB Media Disc Current Image. Install goes fast, no problems. 3. Plug in old SATA SSD 4....
  4. No boot after W10 update 1909

No boot after W10 update 1909: I have just attempted to update my spare computer to the latest window 10 update, now it fails to boot. There is power on and the disc and DVD drive leds light then it just stops there is no video so I can't boot into safe mode. All was working well until the update with no...
  5. W10 1809 to 1903 update

W10 1809 to 1903 update: Lenovo ThinkCentre E73, I have updated from W10 1809 to 1903 and the PC has now gone really slow and having issues with admin rights, I have chkdsk'd and scannow'd' but no issues found. Tried an inplace update in case windows was corrupted and get the message some hardware on...
  6. Script failure after W10 update to 1809

in Windows 10 Customization
    Script failure after W10 update to 1809: I've been using a little script to launch an application in a "kiosk-like" mode. Basically, upon login, the a registry entry calls the script, the script launches the exe, and then script waits for you to exit the app. When you exit, it reboots the PC. The problem is...
  7. Unstable boot of W10 after upgrade from 1803 to 1809

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unstable boot of W10 after upgrade from 1803 to 1809: Hi, I'm diagnosing a real puzzler here. System is Windows 10 64 bit, 128 GB RAM, Intel 7980XE on Asus platform. System runs without incident on 1803. Only errors in Event Viewer on boot are a few DCOM errors that I've backtracked as harmless. System restarts and shuts...
  8. Empty folders after W10 update 1809

Empty folders after W10 update 1809: Hi everyone, I have a critical issue. A few hours ago I updated my laptop to the 1809 Windows 10 version. After the reboot my Documents and Pictures folders are empty! Desktop, Download and Music folders are ok. In the C: disk a windows.old folder has been created but the...
  9. updated to W10 1607 and have a bitdefender problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    updated to W10 1607 and have a bitdefender problem: After updating to W10 anniversary, all seemed to go successfully. Now my AV program Bitdefender 2016 Total Security is stuck in game mode. I have been unable to go back to autopilot. I do NOT game on my computer and have so far got nothing back from Bitdefender support. It's...
  10. SSD Not Booting Automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Not Booting Automatically: My SSD drive with Windows 10 Pro on it stopped automatically booting when turning on my computer a few days ago. All I can remember is that I installed MS-Office 2013 Professional Plus the night before. Everything was working normally until I tried to start my computer the...