Windows 10: After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions

Discus and support After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently helped someone upgrade their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 remotely. They are now running Windows 10 1909. Looking a Disk Management... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TV2, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions

I recently helped someone upgrade their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 remotely.
    They are now running Windows 10 1909.

Looking a Disk Management there are now 2 MSR (OEM Partition).

After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions [​IMG]

I do not recall creating the EFI System partition or the MSR partitions when we first clean installed Windows 7 in 2014. But it has been far too long for me to remember.

Also note: we had a glitch upgrading. This resulted in upgrading, restoring the W7 image backup, upgrading again. Which may explain the 2 MSR partitions.

Questions:
    Can we delete one of these partitions?
    If so, how do we tell which one?

Other questions:
    Will a Windows 10 Upgrade on an UEFI system create the EFI and MSR partitions on it's own?
    Even if the original Windows 7 installation was done with BIOS set to "Other OS"?

:)

2. dalchina Win User

After W7 to W10 upgrade - now 2 Recovery Partitions

An easy way to tell which Recovery partition ('OEM') - which is what those are- is being used is to determine which is the more recent.
    Here's Minitool Partition Wizard: look at the date.

Otherwise you can use these commands: here you can see partition 5 is in use.

Win 10 will of course create the partitions appropriate to its environment - UEFI or MBR. It will be interesting to see what others say about your presumed UEFI configuration.

dalchina, Jan 21, 2020
  3. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Not sure how I "see" that partition 5 is in use.
    Is it because it has 237GB in the Offset column?
    Or because of something I'm looking at in reagentc /info?

EDIT: Ah, I see it now.
    Thank You!

4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

I recently helped someone upgrade their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 remotely.
    They are now running Windows 10 1909.

Looking a Disk Management there are now 2 MSR (OEM Partition).

I do not recall creating the EFI System partition or the MSR partitions when we first clean installed Windows 7 in 2014. But it has been far too long for me to remember.

Also note: we had a glitch upgrading. This resulted in upgrading, restoring the W7 image backup, upgrading again. Which may explain the 2 MSR partitions.

Questions:
    Can we delete one of these partitions?
    If so, how do we tell which one?

Other questions:
    Will a Windows 10 Upgrade on an UEFI system create the EFI and MSR partitions on it's own?
    Even if the original Windows 7 installation was done with BIOS set to "Other OS"?

Thema:

1. After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions - Similar Threads - W10 upgrade MSR

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade

BIOS setting and W7 to W10 Upgrade: I'm looking to help someone upgrade a fairly new desktop PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the MCT method. When we installed Windows 7 on this machine I recall going into the UEFI BIOS and changing the Boot > Safe Boot > OS Type setting from the default "Windows UEFI...
  6. Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop 'pulsing' after W7 - W10 upgrade...: Hello, Having just updated an ASUS laptop by replacing the old hard drive to an SSD and upgraded from W7 to W10 I’m faced with rather an odd problem. When I start the laptop the desktop appears normally but then goes blank, then re-appears then goes off again, 'pulsing'...
  7. W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition

W7 to W10 upgrade fails – can't update the system reserved partition: Apologies for the length of the post but I wanted to pre-empt requests for info. Dell E5450 laptop; Windows 7 SP1; Samsung 250 SSD W7 updates have all been applied other than the August monthly security update. I have cloned the SSD to another Samsung 250, in case the...
  8. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  9. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7: Hello. Need help urgently. Have been locked out after upgrading from W7 to W10. No Microsoft account. Please help. 17346
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...