Windows 10: After Win Update, HDD RAW, files gone

Discus and support After Win Update, HDD RAW, files gone in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Long story short: I did a Windows 10 Update, and after that my PC wouldn't start anymore. I uninstalled the latest quality update via the repair... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Micha79, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Micha79 Win User

After Win Update, HDD RAW, files gone

Long story short:

I did a Windows 10 Update, and after that my PC wouldn't start anymore. I uninstalled the latest quality update via the repair center. After that, I was able to boot Windows 10, however, my HDD was no longer "existing". That means, it's marked as "Type RAW" and when I try to access it, an error messages pops up. Therefore I lost access to all my files, pictures, documents….

Important to know: The main system was/is operating on a SSD, and just a small piece 100MB was/is set up on my HDD as well the HDD had/has two partitions, a small system one, and a big one for documents, programs etc..

I tried several recovery programs but nothing worked out. I couldn't switch the type form RAW to NSTF and other scan attempts weren't successful either.

To make it worse, I'm pretty sure the HDD is now labeled as "SMART" the warning that says, that your HDD is about to die.

Any Idea? Help?

Short story long:

My PC is almost 10 years old. Originally it just had an HDD SATAII, 1.5TB .When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 for free back in... 2016 i believe? I added a SSD 128GB and made sure that the OS would operate from there.

4 years later, everything was working smoothly. The operating system was doing its job on the SSD and I used the HDD for personal files such as pictures, documents, videos but also programs that I've installed on that disk.

Last Sunday, I got an update, a big one, but Windows also notified me that there's no space anymore on the SSD. So I used the "clean-up" tool from Microsoft to make some extra space. Windows was apparently happy with that and ready to restart to install the update. So I did that.

However, the computer never rebooted. It got stuck at the beginning, right after you could access the bios, saying that the pc couldn't find any bootable disk. I tried to restart the computer again and this time I actually made it to Windows 10 loading screen. But windows would still not boot, just being stuck in the loading screen. So I restarted again and accessed the repair center. There, I uninstalled the latest quality update. Even though I was able to boot Windows 10 now, everything else was gone since the HDD was/is "damaged". I can't even reset the computer since it can't find a original Windows 10 file. Also, I lost the key to Windows 10, so now Windows is asking me to buy a Key.

This is a joke…. Just did a stupid update and then this.

If somebody can help me, I'd appreciate.

Programs I've used so far unsuccessfully: MiniTool Power Data Recovery, M3 Data Recovery Free, EaseUS Data recovery Wizard, Decacopy Lite, MiniTool Partition Wizard and Hetman Partition Recovery

--> They all find the HDD, but they can't access/open/scan it.

I've also tried --> cmd --> chkdsk --> unsuccessful

:)

Micha79, Feb 19, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 19, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW drive
    3. select disk # ======> is the number in step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

topgundcp, Feb 19, 2020
  4. erod1017 Win User

External HDD's 'converted' to RAW on PC

I have multiple external HDD's, both WD and Seagate, that are recognizable by my PC, but list in device manager as RAW and empty. I can access all the information on the drives on my laptop just fine. I've tried to reformat the drive and it wont allow me
    to access the drive, reading "the format did not complete successfully." I've tried everything from wiping my SSD that windows was installed on and reinstalling fresh, to updating my BIOS, to uninstalling the drivers...

I cant find anything that will allow them to work on my PC.

erod1017, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

1. After Win Update, HDD RAW, files gone - Similar Threads - Update HDD RAW

2. HDD is gone after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD is gone after update: my computer no longer recognizes that it has a hdd to the point to where i cant find it in the system settings. literally losing 1tb of storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-is-gone-after-update/f7dd357a-1c97-4653-8ff3-4c433636fb39
  3. HDD is gone after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD is gone after update: my computer no longer recognizes that it has a hdd to the point to where i cant find it in the system settings. literally losing 1tb of storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-is-gone-after-update/f7dd357a-1c97-4653-8ff3-4c433636fb39
  4. HDD file recovery from RAW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD file recovery from RAW: hello, I am trying to find a way of retrieving files from a laptop HDD that appears to have changed to RAW? it doesn't show up on computer management on a working pc using an adapter. I have attached a picture in command prompt in the hope that someone can let me know what...
  5. HDD file recovery from RAW

HDD file recovery from RAW: hello, I am trying to find a way of retrieving files from a laptop HDD that appears to have changed to RAW? it doesn't show up on computer management on a working pc using an adapter. I have attached a picture in command prompt in the hope that someone can let me know what...
  6. HDD file recovery from RAW

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Files gone after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files gone after update: Windows performed an automatic update last night. Now all my files -- everything on my desktop -- are gone. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-gone-after-update/96b89c54-67d1-4977-853e-877c129d98fb
  8. Files gone after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files gone after update: Windows performed an automatic update last night. Now all my files -- everything on my desktop -- are gone. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-gone-after-update/96b89c54-67d1-4977-853e-877c129d98fb
  9. Files gone after update

10. NVME gone after Win 10 Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVME gone after Win 10 Update: HI everyone,A Windows 10 Pro update was installed yesterday and since then my NVME was not reconized by windows anymore. It Shows up in the Bios and also when I had to reinstall windows.After the reinstall Windows again pulled updates and after the second restart where the...