Windows 10: After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

Discus and support After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rekees, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Rekees Win User

After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (SAfter Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared :) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been using this SSD since 2015 and have gigabytes of data on it. I'm assuming doing an "Initialize" would wipe out all files? How can drive letter S: be assigned without destroying all my files?!

:)

Rekees, Jun 9, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 9, 2019
  4. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CAfter Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared :) and empty data (DAfter Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DAfter Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

1. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared - Similar Threads - 1903 upgrade SSD

2. Partition drive letter disappears!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition drive letter disappears!: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I created a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, or after waking up the drive letter simply disappears, the partition name is there but not the letter. The partition is fine, I have to reassign...
  3. Partition drive letter disappears!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition drive letter disappears!: I have a new laptop with Windows 11 installed. I created a partition and assigned it the drive letter Z. Sometimes after rebooting, or after waking up the drive letter simply disappears, the partition name is there but not the letter. The partition is fine, I have to reassign...
  4. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  5. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  6. Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive letters mismatch after upgrading to Windows 10: Hello, After I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 1909, my C drive became F, and the hidden recovery partition became the new C. As a result the PC cannot boot goes to BSOD with stop code 7b, so I was forced to restore the system image that I created before the upgrade....
  7. Windows 10 update 1903, drive letters change after re-start

Windows 10 update 1903, drive letters change after re-start: After updating to 1903 and re-starting, windows won't start. After trying to get to safe or repair mode, I found that drive letters had changed. C: - my boot drive was now D: And E: my secondary drive was C:, etc. After many failed attempts, finally got to safe mode and was...
  8. Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter: Start button > Power button > Restart = drive letter vanishes. BUT Start button > Power button > Shut down > PC power up = drive letter functions normally. Dell XPS 8500 Processor Intel i7-3770 RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home Version 1903 Installed on 6/9/2019 OS build 18362.145...
  9. Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter

Windows 10 1903 Restart zaps SSD drive letter: Start button > Power button > Restart = drive letter vanishes. BUT Start button > Power button > Shut down > PC power up = drive letter functions normally. Dell XPS 8500 Processor Intel i7-3770 RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home Version 1903 Installed on 6/9/2019 OS build 18362.145...
  10. After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared

After Windows 10 1903 upgrade, SSD drive letter disappeared: Upgraded Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903. After upgrade, my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB drive (S:) could not be found by File Manager. Disk Manager says "Disk 1 Unknown Not Initialized" so can't even assign a drive letter to it. Not a new drive, been using this SSD since 2015 and...