Windows 10: After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files

Discus and support After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My windows 10 PC was updated overnight. I can no longer access my encrypted files. I get "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by liza43, Feb 10, 2021.

1. liza43 Win User

After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files

My windows 10 PC was updated overnight. I can no longer access my encrypted files. I get "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privilieges ....". What happened? Tell me how to get my access privileges returned.

Windows 10 Pro

Version 2004

Installed on 8/18/2020

OSbuild 19041.804

:)

liza43, Feb 10, 2021

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Feb 10, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 10, 2021
  4. modder Win User

Software encryption

read this:
    The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file system driver with filesystem-level encryption available in Microsoft Windows (2000 and later) operating systems, except Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. The technology transparently allows files to be encrypted on NTFS file systems to protect confidential data from attackers with physical access to the computer.

User authentication and access control lists can protect files from unauthorized access while the operating system is running, but are easily circumvented if an attacker gains physical access to the computer. One solution is to store the files encrypted on the disks of the computer. EFS does this using public key cryptography, and aims to ensure that decrypting the files is in theory impossible without the correct key. However, EFS is in practice susceptible to brute-force attacks against the user account passwords. In other words, encryption of files is only as strong as the password to unlock the decryption key.

read more ...wikipedia Encrypting File System - Wikipedia

modder, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

1. After Windows 10 update, can no longer access encrypted files - Similar Threads - update longer access

2. Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update: Hello All,I have a customer running Windows 10 Professional, build 19042, and since their PC recently lost power, it was restarted. After the restart, our software application cannot seem to open due to an exception from being unable to access dependent files in its install...
  3. Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update: Hello All,I have a customer running Windows 10 Professional, build 19042, and since their PC recently lost power, it was restarted. After the restart, our software application cannot seem to open due to an exception from being unable to access dependent files in its install...
  4. Application can no longer access files in "C:\Program Files" after Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Lack of access to encrypted files after reinstalling Windows

Lack of access to encrypted files after reinstalling Windows: Hello everyone, my previous Windows got into trouble and I had to change it! I had a series of important files and tried to encrypt them encrypt contents to secure data! But now that I try to open it, it can't and it says no access! Well, dear friends, I want to know what to...
  6. Can no longer access Feedback Hub after 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can no longer access Feedback Hub after 20H2 update: The 20H2 update has caused a myriad of headaches for me so far. I've been chronicling them to submit to Feedback Hub, but now one of the issues the update is caused is that I can no longer access the Feedback Hub! When I attempt to open it it immediately closes itself....
  7. Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?

Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?: I have installed Windows on my SSD today I have 2 HDDs and one SSD in my PC but I can't access my apps stored on the HDDs I can see the files and the drives are also displayed. How can I make the HDDs work as before? Dateien nach Windows neu installation nicht mehr aufrufbar?
  8. Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?

Files can no longer be accessed after Windows reinstallation?: I have installed Windows on my SSD today I have 2 HDDs and one SSD in my PC but I can't access my apps stored on the HDDs I can see the files and the drives are also displayed. How can I make the HDDs work as before? Dateien nach Windows neu installation nicht mehr aufrufbar?
  9. Accessing encrypted files

Accessing encrypted files: I have files on my backup hard drive which I cannot access - they have little padlock symbols on them. After trying many different things, I get two messages: 1. There is a problem decrypting the files - access denied or words to that effect 2. "You need administrator...
  10. Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10: I have an external hard drive that I had to encrypt when using on a work computer. It's protected with a password and to access files, I run unlock.exe and type in a password. However, since upgrading to Windows 10, I can no longer access the files. When I run unlock.exe an...