Windows 10: After Windows 10 update that took 16+hours desktop and other files are missing

Discus and support After Windows 10 update that took 16+hours desktop and other files are missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Yesterday, Windows 10 automatically installed an update which took over 16 hours. Today, When I login after booting I get the message that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by awfritsch, Dec 6, 2018.

1. awfritsch Win User

After Windows 10 update that took 16+hours desktop and other files are missing

Yesterday, Windows 10 automatically installed an update which took over 16 hours. Today, When I login after booting I get the message that "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. I have successfully started taskmgr and I can bringup a DOS prompt. Via the DOS prompt I was able to verify that most of my files appear to be there. How do I recover this file and related files so I can run apps normally.

:)

awfritsch, Dec 6, 2018

2. Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 6, 2018
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

1. After Windows 10 update that took 16+hours desktop and other files are missing - Similar Threads - update took 16+hours

2. After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.: I ran the most recent Windows 11 update yesterday 15/10/2023. After the update, all files on my desktop are missing. It just has recycle bin. I have already searched the files on /user/desktop folder, but it is empty....
  3. After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Windows 11 update files on my desktop are missing.: I ran the most recent Windows 11 update yesterday 15/10/2023. After the update, all files on my desktop are missing. It just has recycle bin. I have already searched the files on /user/desktop folder, but it is empty....
  4. Windows 10 1903 update missing desktop files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 update missing desktop files: Hi, so i recently updated to windows 10 1903 after putting it off for a while and folders on my desktop arent there anymore and i cannot find them. So, basically the update was going normally until it went into the sign in. It came up with " The user profile server failed...
  5. My Desktop icons missing after Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Desktop icons missing after Windows 10 update?: My Desktop icons missing after Windows 10 update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-icons-missing-after-windows-10-update/a8ed20dd-dd0b-4942-9801-dcec8aaff1a1
  6. Missing Desktop file Windows 10

Missing Desktop file Windows 10: I believe that my laptop recently performed a routine Windows 10 upgrade and afterwards I the desktop screen is at a bare minimum and almost all functions and key presses seem to be disabled. . The message I get is that there is a file missing:...
  7. Files missing after windows 10 update

Files missing after windows 10 update: Hi , Windows 10 started taking matters on its own hands again and yesterday it performed an update without my permission. Apart from restarting and doing staff on its own this time it considered my files as disposable and deleted them! After spending a few hours and...
  8. Windows update 1803 took 3 hours , is it normal ? :)

Windows update 1803 took 3 hours , is it normal ? :): Hey guys , i recently cleaned the download folder ( which is located in the software distribution folder ) , because i was always getting an error when i was trying to do this update 1803 , now i cleaned this folder and the update took 3-4 hours to finish downloading . Is...
  9. Missing desktop files after Windows update

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing desktop files after Windows update: Hi, I have a year 2010 Asus PC with Windows 10. After the latest Windows 10 update, a few document files are missing from my desktop. I used file explorer to search for one of the files but could not find the latest version. Can anyone help? Thanks!! 65749
  10. Missing file after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing file after Windows 10 update: I got the Windows 10 Creator's Update last night, but when starting up Windows, I get this RunDLL error message, stating: There was a problem starting V0700Pin.dll The specified module could not be found. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it's annoying...