Windows 10: After Windows Update 1903 -- Not Able to Save Files

Discus and support After Windows Update 1903 -- Not Able to Save Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Windows 10 Update version 1903 users. I wanted to post a fix to an issue I had after I completed the Windows 10 version 1903 update. ISSUE: I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lmccat21, Aug 21, 2019.

1. lmccat21 Win User

After Windows Update 1903 -- Not Able to Save Files

Hello Windows 10 Update version 1903 users. I wanted to post a fix to an issue I had after I completed the Windows 10 version 1903 update.

ISSUE: I was unable to save any files to my computer. It seemed anytime I tried to save a file, it would give an error that '{Filename} File not found. Check the name and try again' even though I was actually saving a file. After combing through the internet, I found a discussion here that had to do with Sophos Anti-Virus, but one of the steps helped me, so I wanted to pass it along (since the original discussion also had many other things in it that were not relevant to me.)

This is a quick post for anyone who is having trouble saving files in Windows 10, specifically after the 1903 update.

Open Windows Defender > Click Virus and Threat Detection > Go to Manage Ransomware Protection and Turn it Off.

This fixed the issue.

Microsoft's controlled folder feature was keeping my programs from being able to save files in those folders.

(To see the folders that are 'controlled folders' go to Open Windows Defender > Click Virus and Threat Detection > Go to Manage Ransomware Protection > Protected Folders link)... you can add or remove protected folders from this location.

Now, if you want to keep Ransomware Protection turned on, then, in able to save any files, you need to give your apps authorization to the controlled folders. To do this, you will take the following steps:

Open Windows Defender > Click Virus and Threat Detection > Go to Manage Ransomware Protection and Turn it On.

Then, click on the link "Allow an app through Controlled folder access"

Here, you will be able to list the apps that you are allowing to save in the controlled folder areas of your computer.

Click the +Allow An App button

This will bring up two options:

--Recently Blocked

--Browse all apps

Either one of these options should help.

The Recently Blocked option is helpful for people who may not know how to navigate to their apps exe files on their computers. I clicked through the recently blocked and added the apps as I was working on my computer.

If you know how to find the exe files of your programs, then Choose Browse all apps and go in one by one and let them have access to the controlled folders.

Is this a pain to do it this way... yes. But if you prefer knowing you have ransomware protection, this is the option for now
    (until MS finds a fix for this issue.)

I hope this helps! Good luck!

:)

lmccat21, Aug 21, 2019
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Saving files off the internet to be able to be included in job applications

Hello,

Please provide us more information to help you further:

• How are you trying to save the article?

• Do you receive any error message while attaching those files?

• Are you trying to save those as html files?
    If yes, Please be informed that you won’t be able to attach those files to the emails.

So I suggest you to save the article link to a word file and save those files. Now you may attach these word files to the email and send.

Please get back to us with updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 21, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

1. After Windows Update 1903 -- Not Able to Save Files - Similar Threads - Update 1903 Able

2. Not being able to save files in drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not being able to save files in drive: Ive had this problem from a long time, but it is that i cannot save files at my 2nd hard drive. Local Disk C: ended space and i need some, but i cant download stuff nor save stuff there. Any help?[ATTACH]...
  3. Windows 10 - not able to save file tags

Windows 10 - not able to save file tags: Hi, I am unable to save and see tags which I am trying to add to music files. I click properties -> details -> add a tag, then click OK / apply and the tag is not showing anyway. I tried to add tags through the file explorer with the same result....
  4. Files deleted after update 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files deleted after update 1903: Yesterday my PC updated automatically to version 1903. After starting my computer again, I discovered that ALL my files where deleted but not any software installed. I need to recover my files urgently. I have lost a lot of important information. How should I proceed to...
  5. Coreldraw 2018 Close Immediately When Saving a file after a 1903 Windows Update Installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Coreldraw 2018 Close Immediately When Saving a file after a 1903 Windows Update Installed: Hello and good day to all, We noticed that one of our installed Windows application: Coreldraw 2018 stops working suddenly, or will close immediately when we save the file we are working on, resulting in data lost. This problem occurred after updates being made under...
  6. Failure saving color profile after update windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failure saving color profile after update windows 10 1903: After the update it is impossible to save a new color profile created by Spyder Express. The problem seems to be the display enhancement service. This service makes it impossible to delete old and save new color profiles. How can I delete/disable this service permanently?...
  7. OneDrive Files Showing Sync Icon when Saving As after 1903 Update

OneDrive Files Showing Sync Icon when Saving As after 1903 Update: Today, I installed the 1903 update and the relevant cumulative updates offered thereafter. All seems okay, and, since the update all OneDrive folders and files have the Synced icon (green circle) against them. However, when performing a ‘Save As’ and choosing the OneDrive...
  8. not able to edit groups in file explorer after win 10 update 1903

not able to edit groups in file explorer after win 10 update 1903: hello there the community, am having a problem attempting to edit my look in folders after the latest win update 1903 as per the uploaded pics below i cannot use the 'group' option in file explorer settings to get my folders looking the way they were before the update...
  9. Not able to save or open files

Not able to save or open files: Hello everyone . I bought a brand new windows 10 laptop to go along with with a new guitar amplifier I purchased . The amplifier comes with free software to download . The software ( BLACKSTAR INSIDER } is a very valuable tool for downloading amp setting patches that I can...
  10. Not able to save files:

in Windows 10 Support
    Not able to save files:: If I edit a file or anything that I pull out of a folder like a picture, it won't let me save it. Keeps saying I have no rights to that folder, which I have had for years with rights. 17169

Users found this page by searching for:

1. After the last Windows Upgrade I cant save files or create new folders on my PC