Windows 10: After windows update - All drives are read only

Discus and support After windows update - All drives are read only in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know how my computer is even running correctly, but every time I try to create a new folder, etc, it is read only. I have tried to change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robertheadley, Dec 13, 2020.

1. After windows update - All drives are read only

I don't know how my computer is even running correctly, but every time I try to create a new folder, etc, it is read only. I have tried to change permissions but it isn't working.

Is there some tool that just resets drive permissions to the way they are supposed to be?

Even if I take ownership of a drive, it does not allow me to remove the read only tag.

After windows update - All drives are read only [​IMG]

Windows 10.0.19042

:)

robertheadley, Dec 13, 2020
  2. little cat, Dec 13, 2020
  3. erixx Win User
    Does Windows Update Take 10GB?

Richtclick con "My PC" (Or "My desktop" and "Properties", it tells you if your system has SP1.

1) In your case, I would just reinstall al new (not update or repair), no need to killdisk.

2) Make sure your system is perfectly healthy (Device manager), if needed, install mobo, chipset and SDD drives.

3) Run Winupdate, it will install updates step by step, not 200 at once.

4) Check each step before proceding to next step. Read WinUpdate error messages early (also in Event viewer/System filter by error and warning).

erixx, Dec 13, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

After windows update - All drives are read only

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond After windows update - All drives are read only :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

After windows update - All drives are read only

1. After windows update - All drives are read only - Similar Threads - update drives are

2. All my files are now read only after the new update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my files are now read only after the new update: Hello, The other day my computer updated to the latest version of windows. Then I tried to open some of my images and other files and they are all read-only so I can't do anything. I tried to change them to not be read-only but that didn't change anything. I tried looking...
  3. 2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update: hi, recently updated windows with an update it was showing as needed- now the 2nd hard drive i have installed is showing read only and i can't save anything to it. in properties its showing read/write correctly for all users. but disk mgmt shows the drive as read only...
  4. All partitions on my hard drives are read only

All partitions on my hard drives are read only: All partitions on my hard drives are read only. Any new Folder I create is automatically read only. I have checked security permission and all users have full control. When I click on a folder and remove the check in the read only box and apply, the system goes through the...
  5. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  6. All drives and all files have become read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All drives and all files have become read-only: I noticed this 3 days ago after restarting my PC that I couldn't make any new folders. I then did some looking around and realised my drives (SSD boot drive and HDD secondary) were both read-only. I've tried unticking the read-only box in properties of the folders but they...
  7. Read only folders on all disc drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read only folders on all disc drives: Hello, past few days I am experiencing very bad situation with computer. I read many posts but I still do not get things working as they should so I am hoping that I will get some answers here. I am guessing that with latest update windows decided that my folders are...
  8. All folders are read-only

in Windows 10 Customization
    All folders are read-only: Just today I wanted to change the properties of one file in my music folder, but was unable to. After some digging around I found out that the folder it was in was a read-only folder, upon trying to uncheck the box, then closing it, it reverts itself to read-only. I have...
  9. All Folders Read Only

All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. all folders are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    all folders are read only: Today I discovered that all my files are read only. I had saved a spreadsheet yesterday, then today I went to open it and it said read only. Then I looked at other files and the read only box was checked. Even when I unchecked it, and closing the property box, when I opened...