Windows 10: After Windows Update in July/August, USB 3.0 transfer is as slow as USB 2.0

Discus and support After Windows Update in July/August, USB 3.0 transfer is as slow as USB 2.0 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 is installed on an SSD, and I have 2 other additional SSD's internal. I am running a couple of external SSD's for video file transfer, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jaysondb, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jaysondb Win User

After Windows Update in July/August, USB 3.0 transfer is as slow as USB 2.0

Windows 10 is installed on an SSD, and I have 2 other additional SSD's internal.

I am running a couple of external SSD's for video file transfer, and I have a QNAP raid enclosure with barracuda drives for long term storage.

Prior to the update, I would get transfer speeds from external devices anywhere from 150mbps to 400.

After the update, I at maximum get 50mps, but usually 30-40. It doesn't matter which device, and it doesn't matter where I'm transferring it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the hard drives.

I have plugged the hard drives into different usb ports.

I have purchased a new usb 3.1 card and plugged them all into it.

The hard drives are all from different manufacturers.

I have updated drivers.

I have disabled and renabled devices.

I have reinstalled windows.

I have run the troubleshooter.

I have run windows 10 in 'clean' mode.

NONE of this worked, and nothing has changed.

Last night I decided to completely wipe the boot drive and start completely fresh. After performing the install, I saw usb transfer speeds inline with what I had before. After installing the updates windows had me install, it went right back down to the slow speeds I was getting before.

*Something* in the most recent updates messed with external hard drives. At this point it can't be my PC, and after trying 5 or 6 different external drives for different brands, doesn't that mean this has to be something in windows?

:)

Jaysondb, Sep 15, 2020
  2. malware Win User

Intel Updates Core 2 Quad Q9550 to E-0 Stepping

We continue our Monday news list with another Intel story that brings to our attention information concerning the company and more specificly its 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550 chips that will move from the current C-1 to the newer E-0 stepping. The updated chips will start selling on August 22nd, featuring the following changes:
    • New SSpec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • CPUID will change from 0x10677 to 0x1067A
    • Package change to Halide free package
    Apart from that, the new stepping CPUs will not include any other changes. Of course, like most new stepping parts a BIOS update will be needed.

Product Change Notification 108663 - 00

Source: TechConnect Magazine

malware, Sep 15, 2020
  3. USB 3.0 Question

That is the add in I have. I got it off the CM store. They also list an adapter, but I've yet to see it listed as in stock and can't seem to find any others.

mastrdrver, Sep 15, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. After Windows Update in July/August, USB 3.0 transfer is as slow as USB 2.0 - Similar Threads - Update July August

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. Clean instal Win !0 with USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean instal Win !0 with USB: I have Win 10 64 bit downloaded onto a USB flash drive in order to do a clean install on my SSD drive...is installing it through BIOS any advantage than simply going through system recovery and using this method (remove everything install through USB) which method is better...
  5. Transaction Failed Error 0-0-2--8

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transaction Failed Error 0-0-2--8: [ATTACH] So today Asphalt 9 just updated the latest car hunt event and I purchased the same car hunt pack 12 for Apollo N three times, my email received the receipt from Microsoft Store and my bank balance was deducted with the same number I paid for the transactions,...
  6. File transfer of many files slows to 0 bytes after over an hour of transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File transfer of many files slows to 0 bytes after over an hour of transfer: what the title says; I can confirm the files aren't corrupted and aren't system files. I'm transferring hundreds of gigabytes of data. I'm suffering from severe stress and anxiety, and it's very important to me that this goes smoothly the next time I attempt it. Please help....
  7. Windows 10 update stuck at stage 2 of 3, cleaning up 0%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update stuck at stage 2 of 3, cleaning up 0%: chose to update and restart, now stuck at stage 2 of 3, cleaning up, at 0%. Been at this point for about 45 minutes. Should I soft boot? Anyone else have issues?...
  8. Transaction Failed error 0-0-2-0--6008

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Transaction Failed error 0-0-2-0--6008: Hi, While trying to buy from Windows store I got an "Transaction Failed error 0-0-2-0--6008" message. Any idea how to resolve this? Vijay. [ATTACH]...
  9. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...: I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again...
  10. Slow USB Transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...