Windows 10: After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download

Discus and support After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm beyond angry. Brand new Lenovo C-940 14IL laptop, everything was working fine. A windows update installs itself and suddenly, many folders are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KatieKintner, Jun 10, 2020.

1. After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download

I'm beyond angry.

Brand new Lenovo C-940 14IL laptop, everything was working fine. A windows update installs itself and suddenly, many folders are "read-only", several device drivers won't update or even install and I can't download new updates. I have reset the machine--nothing changed. Did a complete recover--still nothing. It doesn't change.

When I try to remove "read-only" from folders, they go right back to it. I've tried all the solutions I've found online and NOTHING works.

What in heck happened?

:)

KatieKintner, Jun 10, 2020

2. Windows updates won't install!

I'll check that out.

I had read that. However the problem MS is addressing there is when the update client files of the pc don't recognise that the pc is not updated and hence don't download the updates. My updates download fine. In fact I'm even getting downloaded updates which I do not need (win2000, vista, server...) The problem is getting the correct updates installed...

For example, I'm getting KB933729 in my list. That's for Vista!

Black Panther, Jun 10, 2020
  3. Vista x64 won't download updates?

The last updates on my home desktop are dated 16th June.
    I've powered it on some 3 or 4 times since then, but nothing was downloaded automatically as per settings.

I tried the manual update from the CP but I get an error code 80070002.

I did the troubleshooting suggested (i.e. stop the Windows Update service, delete the temporary update files, restart the Windows Update service, and then try to check for Windows updates again) but I still keep getting the same error code, even after rebooting *Confused After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download :confused:

What gives?

Black Panther, Jun 10, 2020
  4. After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download

Vista x64 won't download updates?

go in to the windows folder delete the software distribution folder some things will be read-only... iwould back it up first but there is no system files that where all the update magic happens

Trigger911, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download

1. After Windows Update, many folders are Read-Only, Updates won't download - Similar Threads - Update many folders

2. Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...: Hello,On one of our Windows 10 systems, a particular folder keeps reverting to Read Only...I have read carefully, and tried, the many suggestions I have found. All have failed.Might there be a "This always works for me" approach out there? This is driving me nuts.Sincere...
  3. Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...: Hello,On one of our Windows 10 systems, a particular folder keeps reverting to Read Only...I have read carefully, and tried, the many suggestions I have found. All have failed.Might there be a "This always works for me" approach out there? This is driving me nuts.Sincere...
  4. Folder reverts to Read Only Tried MANY Fixes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.: I have an Acer laptop with an SSD drive. I think that someone switched off the power during a Windows update, and now the system does not boot anymore. I can boot from boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso ubuntu though. There I notice that /dev/sda3 is read-only. When I try:...
  6. NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.

NTFS read-only after Windows Update was interrupted.: I have an Acer laptop with an SSD drive. I think that someone switched off the power during a Windows update, and now the system does not boot anymore. I can boot from boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso ubuntu though. There I notice that /dev/sda3 is read-only. When I try:...
  7. After windows update - All drives are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    After windows update - All drives are read only: I don't know how my computer is even running correctly, but every time I try to create a new folder, etc, it is read only. I have tried to change permissions but it isn't working. Is there some tool that just resets drive permissions to the way they are supposed to be?...
  8. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  9. Can not change folders from read only after latest update

Can not change folders from read only after latest update: I just installed the latest Windows update on my computer and now I can not change any of my folders from being marked as read-only Not a checkmark but a black square Every folder on my computer and on my attached hard drives both USB and NAS storage devices has this issue,...
  10. Read Only Folders by default following Windows 10 updates

Read Only Folders by default following Windows 10 updates: Re-opening a document in Word 2013 after 8/1/2020 Updates would be in Read Only mode. After trying all the suggestions presented to IanNicholson1 in April 2018 had failed to to solve the Read Only problem, I uninstalled Update KB4565503. Now, the Documents folder shows...