Windows 10: After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra

Discus and support After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Free at last: After Windows 10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgrades By Gregg Keizer Follow Computerworld | Oct 10, 2014 12:30 PM PT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by CountMike, Oct 10, 2014.

1. CountMike New Member

After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra

Free at last: After Windows 10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgrades

By Gregg Keizer
    Follow
    Computerworld | Oct 10, 2014 12:30 PM PT

Microsoft will have no choice but to give consumers free Windows upgrades once it launches Windows 10 and kicks off its fast-fast-fast tempo, an analyst asserted.
    Windows 10

"If Microsoft wants consumers to update and keep up to date, it really means that Microsoft is going to have to give those consumers those updates for free. There's really no other way to do it," said Michael Silver of Gartner at the research firm's annual technology conference.
    "A consumer isn't going to give Microsoft a credit card and say, 'Charge me for a new release whenever one comes out,'" Silver added. "It's very likely that consumer releases will be free."
    That will affect Microsoft's bottom line: With Windows 10 expected to be the nameplate for the OS for years longer than the usual three-year cycle between major upgrades -- from Windows 7 to Windows 8, say -- free means that consumers will never again have to pay to upgrade their PC's OS.
    More at:
    Free at last: After Windows 10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgrades | Computerworld

:)

CountMike, Oct 10, 2014

2. HP Printer doesn't work after upgrading to Windows 10

*Original Title: i have upgraed windows 10 my hp printer is not working laser jet p1005

i have upgraed windows 10 my hp printer is not working laser jet p1005 pls help

sciencekyahai, Oct 10, 2014
  3. JinRyuu Win User
    Pay for free Windows10?

Hi,

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will automatically be activated online and create a digital entitlement for your device.

If this is what you did and you have Activation problem, visit How to
    install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key
    for steps to solve the problem.

If you created media and performed a clean installation of Windows 10, instead of first upgrading from your previous version of Windows

If you performed a clean installation instead of an upgrade, you'll be asked to enter a Windows 10 product key or buy a new license in order to activate Windows 10. This is because we weren't able to register your free upgrade entitlement with the activation
    servers because you didn't upgrade to Windows 10. To fix this, you'll need to go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10.

Helpful Links: ->
    Why can't I activate Windows 10?

-> Activation in Windows 10

JinRyuu, Oct 10, 2014
  4. BillyBob Win User

It'll be nice if its free but I don't mind paying, I don't expect anything for free so why Windows. I build my own machines and a copy of Windows is just an extra part of building the machine, which is only around $100. I only paid $39 for the Windows 8 upgrade, so I bought 4. My machines last me around 5 years now, so around $100 every 5 years is pretty cheap.

BillyBob, Oct 10, 2014
  5. Nuccii Win User
    I believe that Microsoft will go the subscription route as they have done with Office 365

Nuccii, Oct 11, 2014
  6. Free? I don't think so Tim. I'm with Nuccii, subscription maybe but not totally free. If they do stick to a rapid release cycle it makes more sense to charge a monthly fee than to keep asking consumers to pony up a lump sum for the latest and greatest. It also means that "most" people will update/upgrade to the latest version. Eventually everybody will be running the "one" current version of Windows. They won't have to patch multiple versions like they do now.

alphanumeric, Oct 11, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    One important thing to keep in mind is that this "news" does not come from Microsoft. It is an opinion of a researcher and analyst working for a research company, presented at a conference organized by his employer.

8. CountMike New Member

Not much actually comes from MS these days, either they don't know what they want or like to drop bombshells.

CountMike, Oct 11, 2014
  9. BillyBob Win User
    Why would Microsoft comment, the world's media hate them, old time Windows users hate them, they're better off just keeping quiet, let the press speculate.

BillyBob, Oct 11, 2014
  10. People would like them better, if they would provide free no cost upgrades like Apple.

Jesse Williams, Oct 11, 2014
  11. Mystere Win User
    Since when has OSX been a free, no cost upgrade?

If you're referring to iOS, they actually did charge for new versions back in the early days.. but they found people got really mad that they had spent a premium on the hardware and then got nickeled and dimed over the OS.

Mystere, Oct 11, 2014
  12. No, I am not referring to iOS. I have an iPhone. I've been told that people get software upgrades on Apple computers for free. Now, they need to provide 10 as a free update, for users who are not computer smart and who want their start menus back. I think they should leave the metro start screen as is, but also include the regular Windows start menu on the desktop.

13. LEE
    Lee Win User

As a Mac user (main OS) I am here to tell you that in all reality it is not free. Look at the price we Mac user pay for our system. My iMac 27" with an Intel i7 4770 CPU and a 480 gig SSD cost me in the neighborhood of $3800.00. Now Microsoft is not in the hardware business, hence they need to charge for their OS because otherwise there coders would head for other companies.

14. I know how high Apple computers are. But, they offer free OS updates. Windows doesn't and never has and they need to, they did with Windows 8.1 for Windows 8 users. So, they should do the same with 10 for 8.1 users.

15. Mystere Win User
    MacOS has not traditionally been free, although the latest version is. Not sure if the next version will be.

Regardless, MacOS is subsidized by the expensive Mac hardware. Microsoft makes no money from hardware sales other than Surface.

Mystere, Oct 11, 2014
Thema:

1. After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra - Similar Threads - Windows10 consumers won't

2. Windows10 update icons won't turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 update icons won't turn off: I've had several days of constant update icons showing on my taskbar and in the "shut-down" option of my start menu. Today, I looked up my update history in settings and found that the update in question has already been successfully installed in my computer. How do I shut...
  3. Windows10 update icons won't turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows10 update icons won't turn off: I've had several days of constant update icons showing on my taskbar and in the "shut-down" option of my start menu. Today, I looked up my update history in settings and found that the update in question has already been successfully installed in my computer. How do I shut...
  4. Windows10 update icons won't turn off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System consumes data on windows10 home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System consumes data on windows10 home: System consumes high amount of data in windows 10 home version even after disabling windows automatic update feature tried limiting data plan that too doesn't avoiding spike of data. Pls help!...
  6. HELP- Windows10 Won't Boot After Registry Editing

in Windows 10 Customization
    HELP- Windows10 Won't Boot After Registry Editing: A day ago, when I started my laptop, one of my Seagate External Backup Plus drives could not be recognized by the ToolKit seagate no matter how many reboots etc. I ran a search and located an article for the seagate drive at easeus.com. Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Not...
  7. Windows10 won't reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 won't reinstall: Heey guys.. Tried to update windows10 and it didn't work, tried to reinstall it or even from the reset option and nothing worked!!! Help please! submitted by /u/nope_007 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/efws7m/windows10_wont_reinstall/
  8. Microsoft should pay for consumers to get their computers repaired after reciving the last...

Microsoft should pay for consumers to get their computers repaired after reciving the last...: I am 68 years old and I have no idea as to how to fix my malfunctioning computer. I was caught by surprise when my keyboard when it stopped working in a sporadic mode. I would have to stop whatever document I was working on, save it and then shut my computer down. After a...
  9. Windows10 won't reactivate after motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows10 won't reactivate after motherboard swap: My PC was an old corporate W7pro32 from 2011 which was upgraded to Windows10 when 10 came out, and activated OK. (linked to my personal MS account). Now I've changed the motherboard and it won't reactivate. I get 0xC004C003, but the message from the changed hardware...
  10. Windows10 crashing after update

Windows10 crashing after update: I bought win10 last August when I finally accepted XP was not that usefull. But. I have had to re-install Win10 like 4 times this far. It fights with my graphics card. I really don't care what your problem is with NVIDIA, but if I pay for the 10, I want the operating system...