Windows 10: After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra

Discus and support After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there 3rd party software can do what it likes - It's 3rd party and not Ms after all. If you don't like what it's doing then use something else.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by CountMike, Oct 10, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra

Hi there

3rd party software can do what it likes - It's 3rd party and not Ms after all. If you don't like what it's doing then use something else. Firefox / Mozilla lost me a long time ago with so many "add on possibilities" and configuration methods that required a Doctorate in computer science to understand.

I think the point is that using Windows we are actually rather lucky that almost anybody can write applications for it and it's not locked down like the APPLE IOS (and - correct me if I'm wrong - but I think in the Apple EULA the agreement is that you are only ALLOWED to run apple approved software on it anyway). Whether that's Court enforceable is a moot point but I believe Ms takes a different view and rather ENCOURAGES 3rd parties to write as much as they want for Windows and helps them too.

I really haven't found anything wrong with IE on Windows and KONQUEROR on a Linux KDE desktop.

As for speed of browsers etc - usually these are effected far more by EXTERNAL factors - like Network speed, load on the remote server / website, code efficiency of the web site itself, load on your own local machine etc that a few microseconds off here or there in loading / rendering pages is an irrelevance -- what does it matter if in loading a 10 minute You tube video if one browser starts in 15 secs and another in 14.

As I said - if a 3rd party app doesn't do what you want - just dump it and find another one.

I'm not an advocate of the subscription model myself which is why I'm keeping all bets open -- I have the last Non subscription Photoshop (CS6 - my expensive PRO level DSLR's aren't changed very often so CS6 is likely to work until I retire - or even longer), I have things like OFFICE 2010 which will work for the things I do indefinitely, XP / W7 VM's and can run all these on a Linux Host so if Windows does go subscription only then as the saying goes "I'm Outta Here !!!".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 16, 2014

2. Nice trick. *Smile

Two of the main reasons to use Firefox are:
    • The huge number of add-on
    • The number of ways you could customise the GUI
    The new Firefox (29+) is still the most customisable browser of the top 3 (just not as good as the earlier versions).

IMO, if you don't like add-ons, or you don't care that you have limited ability to customise the GUI, then you may as well use Chrome or IE. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Oct 16, 2014
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

thanks for your reply -- also a valid one if you like doing that sort of stuff.

There's probably two main sorts of users though - those who just want stuff to work straight "As Is" - or what's called these days an "OOBE" (Out of the box experience - almost miraculous these days some "American Consultant-ese" speak actually means what it says in Plain English !!) or those who want to tinker around and see what they can change etc.

On the whole I subscribe to the former - apart from a few basics like Text size (I'm not getting any younger - and I don't want to end up needing glasses with the thickness of Milk Bottles to read the screen !! or a few backgrounds and local settings). I might even get adventurous and create a custom toolbar or my own desktop icons but I'm not on the whole a tinkerer - but I'll bet most that when I test a system I can break it quicker than anyone if it's "breakable" !!.

So I suppose as they say "You pays your money and takes your choice" - at least unlike the "Fruit Company" we do get a choice with Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 16, 2014
  4. unifex Win User

I recall that in the old days when I had an Alpha workstation at work, we had to pay for DEC Unix every year - there was no possibility to "buy" the OS. Instead you had to pay for your yearly license (i.e. subscription). It was something around $300 a year on the campus license deal, I have no idea what would you have to pay otherwise. I really hated that approach and I will certainly not subscribe to something like that at home. After all, there is nothing wrong with my Windows 7 - I have all the programs I need, I don't care for the latest games, so it's unlikely I will actually need to upgrade the software any time soon. Sure, if 10 ends up looking nice and being fast and cost reasonably (maybe not free, but not too much money), I might actually buy a license, keeping in mind that eventually I will have to upgrade/replace the hardware. But a subscription - thanks, but no, thanks.

unifex, Oct 16, 2014
  5. caperjack Win User
    I think the subscription idea will hurt computer [the little guys]retailers too ,they will take the brunt of the complaints of the regular computer user, and it could hurt there sales

caperjack, Oct 16, 2014
  6. Right now. macOS High Sierra Mavericks was also free but had some conditions as to what systems or store accounts were eligible. You had to have purchased the 2009 OS or later to be eligible.

The only iOS update charge that I am aware of was for the iPod Touch. iPhones and iPads haven't ever had a fee for OS upgrades. I hear it had to do with laws or accounting for upgrades to items without subscription fees.

I'll pay Microsoft for major new releases every few years. I wont pay for regular updates or pay a subscription. Sometimes I don't need the latest OS or even updates on some of my machines.

phillipduran, Oct 17, 2014
  7. *Ditto I can just see the consumers face when the sales person tells them that to actually use the device they will have to sign up for a subscription service, will that be Visa or Mastercard?. Or they get it home and OOBE prompts for a payment method. *Eek

alphanumeric, Oct 17, 2014
  8. labeeman Win User

I believe TiVo Is that way trying to break even for a number of years. Xbone1 started to try full time internet in order to work M$ had to back peddle on that one.

labeeman, Oct 17, 2014
  9. Maybe the next generation of machines will come with built-in credit card readers.
    "Please insert credit card to start Windows." *Wink

lehnerus2000, Oct 17, 2014
  10. That will be $2.56 for the next 60 minutes of use please? Debit and all major credit cards accepted, please proceed to the Microsoft Store App for payment. Can we interest you in a bundle with Office 365? *What*Doh

11. Kidding aside, there would be people that would sign up for this. They might bitch about it but they'd sign up anyway. Eventually buying a PC could be like buying a cell phone. With the service contract that comes too....

12. Trust_No1 Win User
    OSX Yosemite is free to anyone, you can install it onto your windows machine with VMPlayer to take it on a test run.

here is a tutorial link

Install OS X Yosemite 10.10 On VMware on Windows PC (Download links) - YouTube

or you can Hackintosh it, here is a link showing how to install directly on to your PC

Trust_No1, Oct 17, 2014
  13. CountMike New Member

That would be the day PC died (without driving Chevy in the levee).

CountMike, Oct 17, 2014
  14. "And we sang dirges in the dark, the day the PC died."

lehnerus2000, Oct 17, 2014
  15. Kari Win User
    Seems I will belong to minority in this matter, too. I signed up for Office 365 subscription based model as soon as it was possible and if ever possible, will do the same with Windows. I simply cannot find any cons in it from consumer's / user's point of view.

Thema:

1. After Windows10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgra - Similar Threads - Windows10 consumers won't

2. Windows10 update icons won't turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 update icons won't turn off: I've had several days of constant update icons showing on my taskbar and in the "shut-down" option of my start menu. Today, I looked up my update history in settings and found that the update in question has already been successfully installed in my computer. How do I shut...
  3. Windows10 update icons won't turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows10 update icons won't turn off: I've had several days of constant update icons showing on my taskbar and in the "shut-down" option of my start menu. Today, I looked up my update history in settings and found that the update in question has already been successfully installed in my computer. How do I shut...
  4. Windows10 update icons won't turn off

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System consumes data on windows10 home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System consumes data on windows10 home: System consumes high amount of data in windows 10 home version even after disabling windows automatic update feature tried limiting data plan that too doesn't avoiding spike of data. Pls help!...
  6. HELP- Windows10 Won't Boot After Registry Editing

in Windows 10 Customization
    HELP- Windows10 Won't Boot After Registry Editing: A day ago, when I started my laptop, one of my Seagate External Backup Plus drives could not be recognized by the ToolKit seagate no matter how many reboots etc. I ran a search and located an article for the seagate drive at easeus.com. Fix Seagate External Hard Drive Not...
  7. Windows10 won't reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 won't reinstall: Heey guys.. Tried to update windows10 and it didn't work, tried to reinstall it or even from the reset option and nothing worked!!! Help please! submitted by /u/nope_007 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/efws7m/windows10_wont_reinstall/
  8. Microsoft should pay for consumers to get their computers repaired after reciving the last...

Microsoft should pay for consumers to get their computers repaired after reciving the last...: I am 68 years old and I have no idea as to how to fix my malfunctioning computer. I was caught by surprise when my keyboard when it stopped working in a sporadic mode. I would have to stop whatever document I was working on, save it and then shut my computer down. After a...
  9. Windows10 won't reactivate after motherboard swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows10 won't reactivate after motherboard swap: My PC was an old corporate W7pro32 from 2011 which was upgraded to Windows10 when 10 came out, and activated OK. (linked to my personal MS account). Now I've changed the motherboard and it won't reactivate. I get 0xC004C003, but the message from the changed hardware...
  10. Windows10 crashing after update

Windows10 crashing after update: I bought win10 last August when I finally accepted XP was not that usefull. But. I have had to re-install Win10 like 4 times this far. It fights with my graphics card. I really don't care what your problem is with NVIDIA, but if I pay for the 10, I want the operating system...