Windows 10: After yesterdays update, no start key response

Discus and support After yesterdays update, no start key response in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After yesterdays update and a restart, everything appeared normal. This morning's start up renders the start "ORB" and the windows key non responsive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by meebers, Jun 6, 2015.

1. meebers Win User

After yesterdays update, no start key response

After yesterdays update and a restart, everything appeared normal. This morning's start up renders the start "ORB" and the windows key non responsive. I do not get the apps menu at all either clicking on the win key or manually hitting the win key on the keyboard. Right click on the start menu works normal, just cannot see any apps.

:)

meebers, Jun 6, 2015
  2. callytex Win User

Restarting after Windows 10 Upgrades

Thanks for responding. After the update prior to yesterday's, I did as you suggested in steps 1 - 10 above. It did not correct the problem. After yesterday's Windows 10 update (10/27), I chose
    shutdown and not restart after update. After Windows updated and my laptop shutdown, I tried to start it. It "churned" for more than 20 minutes after which I turned it off and restarted it in safe mode-networking (F-12 key; F8 didn't work).
    After it started, I proceeded to following your instructions for "Startup Repair," to perform an automatic repair. The repair process started but I eventually got a response that "Startup Repair couldn't repair my PC." So, unfortunately
    I still have a restart problem after Windows 10 updates.

callytex, Jun 6, 2015
  3. After yesterdays update chrome no longer loads. Windows 10 is a virus not an OS.

I downloaded Chrome and it apparently corrected the problem during the install.

JohnAltevogt, Jun 6, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Open Admin CMD and run

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause

Cliff S, Jun 6, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Are you using a third party start menu replacement to make it look like Windows 7's start orb? If so, you might try uninstalling it and seeing if its a compatibility issue.

Mystere, Jun 6, 2015
  6. meebers Win User
    Cliff, tx for the link. it took a while and from what I can tell did not find any problems. BUT...now the start menu works both on screen and via keyboard. Keeping that cmd for future use. TX

Mystere...No 3rd party menu. This is a clean install after an esd to iso, pretty much the way MS put it out.

meebers, Jun 6, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    You had me confused. In Windows Vista and 7, it was called the "Orb" because it is a round circle. Windows 8.1 and 10 just have the flag... no orb. So, that was why I asked.

Mystere, Jun 7, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

There may be a host of things to try but, try this:
    Check for updates in both Stores and restart Explorer.

Also, it may be just me, but I constantly suspect that things sync and work more fluidly with an MS account(?)

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. After yesterdays update, no start key response - Similar Threads - yesterdays update start

2. Start Menu Buttons not responsive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu Buttons not responsive: Hi Community,I had this issue before and now it comes back again. So here's the issue:This issue only occurs when my PC wakes up I normally put it to sleep instead of turning off. The buttons on the menu bar that related to Win10 system becomes not responsive. For example, I...
  3. Video lost after yesterdays update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Video lost after yesterdays update.: I have a Dell Optiplex 990 SFF and have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to hook it up to a TV. Following yesterdays update 07/07 I lost my connection to the TV. To resolve the issue I connected a monitor via VGA cable and performed a system restore back to before the update and...
  4. No Sound After Yesterday's Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Sound After Yesterday's Update: Updated yesterday and now no sound. I tired 2 or 3 times to delete the devices and each time, except the last time, they were reinstalled without an issue. It's a Dell PC (desktop) and I believe it was a Realtek audio card. The only audo device that is now displayed is "2770...
  5. Keys not usually responsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keys not usually responsive: This is starting to bug me out as its been going on since today. Currently my "W" Key is not very responsive and does its own thing as by sometimes it will work and other times will not respond, this is a big issue on gaming since the character stutters when moving forward...
  6. Low FPS after Update yesterday!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low FPS after Update yesterday!: So yesterday i applied new thermal paste to my laptop and i had to update when turning it off, my temperatures went down by 10C even when gaming, do these frame drops im having is not about the thermal paste being applied in a bad manner. When raiding last night in World of...
  7. Blank icons + non-responsiveness after start-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank icons + non-responsiveness after start-up: In relation to another post, I had a similar problem. I then cleaned up my desktop and removed several icons linking to programs that I no longer need on my desktop now that the start menu provides that function. Voila! The freezes with blank icons stopped happening. I...
  8. after an update yesterday my pc will not start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    after an update yesterday my pc will not start: There was a major update last night and now it just goes to blue screen. Auto repair fails. Every time with these updates it's days to get back to normal again. Give us back control like you promised or give me back my 8.1...
  9. Yesterday's Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Yesterday's Update: Thank you bery much, Bree
  10. Start Menu Not Responsive to Changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Responsive to Changes: Last night, I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10. Since upgrading, the start menu is not functioning properly. While attempting to customize the menu by rearranging tiles and unpinning unwanted tiles, I realized that when I right click and unpin a tile, the tile...