Windows 10: AHCI and IDE

Discus and support AHCI and IDE in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Soapm, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Soapm Win User

AHCI and IDE

Hello,

I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE.

Is it best to put the HDD on IDE or can I put it on a AHCI channel with no negative outcome?

I plan to set channels 5 & 6 as IDE for the CD/DVD player but there is an extra channel for the HDD. The harddrive is a Hitachi HDS5C3020A and the CD player is a H L GSA-H60L 16x DVD RW DL SATA.

Thanks...

:)

Soapm, Mar 6, 2019
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Catalyst 10.9 AHCI question

When I installed the AHCI in my computer in the hardware list it was listing all the SATA in IDE/ATAPI section and written AHCI 1.0. Now that I installed the 10.9 AHCI drive from ATI website its now having only those 4:
    -AMD Sata controller
    -ATA channel 0
    -ATA channel 1
    -IDE controller standard double canal PCI.

Do I still have the AHCI function?

MohawkAngel, Mar 6, 2019
  4. AHCI and IDE

??IDE VS AHCI in bios??

I just wanna tell that I am grateful that some of you made threads about the AHCI funcxtion in bios. Now my computer is really faster and I fully suck the speed of my HDD even if its not a bomb. I can really see the difference and compared to before when I left it on IDE mode in bios it have no bugs. IDE was lagging sometimes..tried many stuff to solve these problems but after reformating again in AHCI mode its really faster, programs loads faster and comapred to IDE mode the HDtuner 2.55 dont read errors on my HDD. I wanna know if some of you see nreal difference by doing it ? But in the hardware list in my computer control panel its still written ATA and not SATA but the AHCI 1.0 controller was installed. Anything to tell me about it ? Also is there a place I have to go to download the AHCI 1.3 or should I stay on 1.0 ?
    Asus M4A785-M mobo here.

Thank you for all infos !

MohawkAngel, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

AHCI and IDE

1. AHCI and IDE - Similar Threads - AHCI IDE

2. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  3. How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10

How to change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10: How do I change from AHCI to RAID without reinstalling Windows 10, so I can use a MSATA SSD for caching with IRST? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-from-ahci-to-raid-without/0d2b9a8a-f8d8-4a67-ac73-9fab3f217d03
  4. Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy: Clean install just before Christmas, all good. After New Years, I realised that my bios was set to IDE. Ssd's work faster if they are set to AHCI. So I changed the bios to AHCI and then performed a clean install. Long story short, since swapping from ide which worked fine....
  5. Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy: Clean install just before Christmas, all good. After New Years, I realised that my bios was set to IDE. Ssd's work faster if they are set to AHCI. So I changed the bios to AHCI and then performed a clean install. Long story short, since swapping from ide which worked fine....
  6. How do I set the AHCI driver on Lenovo Ideapad

How do I set the AHCI driver on Lenovo Ideapad: Good day I am not Tech savvy at all. My Windows Explorer keeps on freezing. I have read a few questions on the internet and found that i have to set the AHCI driver on my laptop. Could you please assist me. Thank You Marie van Dyk...
  7. Aktiver ahci i windows 10 home.

Aktiver ahci i windows 10 home.: I have installed a Samsung 860 evo SSD in a z270 tomahaks card. AHCI can not be enabled for connected SSDs. The system must start in AHCI mode for best performance. " How do I enable AHCI in Windows 10 home and in bios? Thanks in advance....
  8. 6 series/C200 chipset family 6 port SATA AHCI CONTROLLER-

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    6 series/C200 chipset family 6 port SATA AHCI CONTROLLER-: WHAT IS intel (R) 6 series/C200 series chipset family 6 port SATA AHCI controller-1C02 what is the function for this ? and does your computer need to have this ? on my computer, says is out of date....
  9. Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (window 7 & Window 10): Please advise how to change HDD access from IDE to AHCI under a dual boot system (c:Window 7 & d:Window 10) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/changing-hdd-access-from-ide-to-ahci-under-a-dual/48e9850e-666a-4a16-a876-12be84adea6d
  10. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...