Windows 10: AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive

Discus and support AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I seem to remember, when I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a new build, a few years ago, I had to install some specific drivers during the Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Camera, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Camera Win User

AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive

I seem to remember, when I installed windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a new build, a few years ago, I had to install some specific drivers during the Windows 7 installation to ensure drives used AHCI mode. Do I still need to do anything during windows 10 clean install to new SSD drive in order to achieve this (I did not see anything in the clean install tutorial ) or is this all now taken care of in Windows 10?

Motherboard is ASUSP9X79Pro

Thanks
    Dave

:)

Camera, Nov 19, 2015

2. Event Log Error 441 - failer to migrate HDD during install

Thanks for your suggestions Vanessa.

I followed your two steps but it does not help; the SSD is already called OS (CAHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive :) NTFS Healthy (Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition). This was a Windows 10 installation over Windows 7 and was working OK on the Dell notebook computer with a normal HDD. I
    tried to update to an SSD drive.

I tried doing a clean Windows 10 install on the SSD drive using a DVD with an after-release Windows 10 iso on downloaded from Microsoft. The installation locked up when Windows 10 finished and tried to restart. It would not boot. Then I cloned the Windows
    10 OS and boot sectors from the Windows 7 HDD onto the new SSD and that worked - except for the problem with the IDE driver.

TheDELL BIOS is set up as Raid (AHCI) and it boots OK and runs Windows 10 --- But the SSD is as slow as the old IDE drive that Windows 10 was first installed on, taking 36 seconds to boot after logging in.

For some reason Windows 10 is not recognizing the new drive as AHCI and is trying to operate it as an IDE drive.

So the real issue is how to get Windows 10 to recognize the new SSD drive and change to a AHCI driver during the boot process.

In the Registry Key_Local_machine/ControlSet001/Control/DeviceMigration/Classes/4d36e967-e324-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318) I find

IDE\DISKHITACHI_HTS5475... REG_NONE VALUE DATA 0000

IDE\DISKSAMSUNG_HM500... REG_NONE VALUE DATA 0000

and some USB disks as well.

In the Registry Key_Local_machine/ControlSet001/Control/DeviceMigration/Devices/ I Find

IDE\DISKHITACHI_HTS5475... REG_SZ (value not set)

IDE\DISKSAMSUNG_HM500... REG_SZ (value not set)

While Windows 10 Device Manager is saying the drive is IDE the Samsung SSD setup software (Samsung Magician) says the AHCI mode is ON and the SSD is connected to a SATA 6gb/s (SATA 3) port. The firmware is up to date and performance has been optimized as
    recommended.

I ran a speed test on the drive and the random read is 34484 out of a possible 97000

Sequential write is 13 out of 520 and Random write is 2935 out of a possible 88000

Thanks for your help,

RichardHC

RichardChesher, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Osukaa Win User
    When Windows 10 is available, will I be able to clean install it onto a different drive than my current Windows 8.1?

Currently, I have my OS (Windows 8.1) installed onto my hard drive. If i upgrade directly, it will stay on the same drive. I recently got a SSD and was wondering if it is possible to clean install Windows 10 when it comes out onto the new drive, or more
    specifically, if I can clean install windows 10 on a different drive than my old OS was on.

Osukaa, Nov 19, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

To ensure you use AHCI it has to be enabled in BIOS and prior to install. Clean install before you do this need to take the SATA controller drivers put them on a USB flash drive and preinstall during the clean install just before, see option to load drivers on custom screen of clean install, when have USB thumb drive in and select it and load. Need to know bit more about system, as there are 2 SATA controller drivers listed ASMEDIA and Marvell

Find drivers here, select 32 bit or 64bit windows 10, also download chipset drivers and install them after the windows installation. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...Desk_Download/

jds63, Nov 19, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    O.K. i see this for SATA controllers

Storage
    Intel® X79 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white
    ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
    2 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), green

Marvell is for the SATA 6GBs Ports and ASMedia for the eSATA ports

What brand and model SSD did you buy ?

jds63, Nov 19, 2015
  6. Camera Win User
    Thanks for quick answer.

My BIOS is currently set to AHCI on the SATA ports for existing spinning disks. I will be taking these out and installing to a single, brand new SSD drive. Data disks will be reinstalled after Windows.

I have put the SATA drivers - ASMEDIA V3.1.6.0 and Marvell V1.20.1.1047 onto a separate USB stick to that which I will boot and install from.

If I read you correctly, I should be able to leave the BIOS as it is set now (AHCI) and by taking the custom install option I will get the chance to load these drivers and ensure AHCI mode is used for the new W10 installation and the new SSD drive.

Do I also need to install Intel Rapid Storage driver during the install process - there is none listed for W10 but a version (12.8.0.1016 is listed for W8)

Dave

Camera, Nov 19, 2015
  7. Camera Win User
    I have a Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD which I will plug into SATA6G 1 socket - this is the Intel X79 first socket and I understand that to be the Asmedia controller?
    Dave

Camera, Nov 19, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

One thing i forgot to ask, was this system ever activated with Windows 10 on it, seems not ? There is a tutorial should work for ones who never had it on since the upgrade download and want to do a clean install, but i have never tried it this way. Thos ASMedia and Marvell drivers are in a 64 folder this would be all you need on the thumb drive, will be those 2 folders, can put all just go to that folder upon loading them. No do not need Intel Rapid Storage as it is just a software.

example of it

AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive [​IMG]

jds63, Nov 19, 2015
  9. Camera Win User
    May have caused confusion - looking at motherboard handbook it states for windows 7 ensure that the IRST driver is loaded during installation. None is shown for windows 10 on the ASUS site - should I used the one under windows 8?

Sorry if these are daft questions

No windows 10 never active. Current windows 7 but going for clean install to new drive.

Dave

Camera, Nov 19, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Do usually use just the IRST drivers not the software unless you use the software. But your specs are showing Marvell and ASMEDIA.
    Windows 10 may have them in OS, but can not be sure for this board, mine did not. IRST not listed yes under Win 10 on ASUS Site.
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/

jds63, Nov 19, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
  12. Camera Win User
    Thanks for bearing with me. I have downloaded and printed both those tutorials.

I have just read further through my Motherboard handbook and it would appear the Marvell and ASMEDIA drivers are for the 2nd set of internal SATA 6G ports and for the SATA ports on the back of the computer.

The internal SATA ports (the first of which I will use for the clean install) is the Intel X79. This is the one for which the manual advises to run IRST driver during installation.

The IRST software loader on the website has a file for x64 drivers and that has 6 files within it:
    iaahcic.cat
    iaAHCIC.inf
    iastorA.sys
    iastorac.cat
    iaStorAC.inf
    iaStorF.sys

Do I point to one of these?

Dave

Camera, Nov 19, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Most Intel chipset use intel SATA Controllers, wonder why it is not listed under Win 10 drivers then, not a really old motherboard.
    All those files go on thumb drive it will select the .inf file and use the rest from it. Hoping this is correct from what you see.
    Your welcome for the help.

Questions i asked before you have not answered it is first time putting win 10 on this system ?

jds63, Nov 19, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Seems correct to use IRST drivers for SATA controller for SATA III 6Gb's. Shown here what Marvel controllers is used for.
    Also have SATA II 3Gb's and eSATA.

AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive [​IMG]

jds63, Nov 19, 2015
  15. Camera Win User
    Thank you !

Yes this will the first install of Windows 10. I could not use the upgrade route as my computer was Sysprep'd to have both Program Data and User Data on separate partitions. Tried to move back and ended up with a mix of some data moved some not. So I restored to Windows 7 image and decided to go for clean install to Windows 10 and upgrade to an SSD for system drive at the same time.

Thanks again for all your help and support.

Camera, Nov 19, 2015
Thema:

1. AHCI Clean install windows 10 onto new SSD drive - Similar Threads - AHCI Clean install

2. Installing Windows10 onto new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows10 onto new SSD: I recently built a new PC, and used the SSD from my prior build in this one so I had Windows and didn't lose any files. I have another PC fully built, but no operation system installed on the brand new SSD for it. Do I NEED to download the ISO files onto a USB Drive and...
  3. Clean install of windows onto a new drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install of windows onto a new drive: How can I do a clean install of windows but change it to a new drive? submitted by /u/Starzz_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jbisvz/clean_install_of_windows_onto_a_new_drive/
  4. Unable to install windows onto new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install windows onto new SSD: Hello. I have been trying to install windows to my brand-new SSD for 4-5 days now. I installed Ubuntu onto it first, since I plan on having a dual-boot system. (Which I've done before) The first issue is that the Windows Media Creation Tool keeps failing to download/burn to...
  5. Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD: Howdy, I want to do a nice fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD but am just a bit confused on how I should go about it and what it entails. To be specific, I have 4 drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD) in my PC and was wondering if the data is kept on the other 3 drives (that...
  6. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  7. Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD

Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD: I have a Samsung Laptop which had Windows 7 on it. I have replaced the HDD with a new, unused SSD (500Gb). I then tried installing Windows 10 from a bootable USB created using the Microsoft tool. I changed the boot order to USB 1st, and set the SATA Mode to AHCI manually....
  8. moving windows 10 on new comuter onto ssd drive I will be installing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    moving windows 10 on new comuter onto ssd drive I will be installing: New computer has no operating disk, but windows 10 is installed with no instructions. How to transfer new windows 10 operating system to ssd drive...
  9. Clean install of 10 on new SSD

Clean install of 10 on new SSD: I am about to get a new 240Gb SSD and have been advised to clean install Windows 10 on it. This SSD will replace a SATA HDD in my existing computer running Windows 8.1. I know that I qualify for the free upgrade; I have the "Get 10" icon on my task bar. My first question...
  10. Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?

Install Win10 ISO onto new SSD drive?: Hi All, A few days ago I got a new Win8.1 laptop that I smoothly upgraded to Win10. This laptop now shows as being registered with Microsoft. I just now purchased a 250GB SSD that will arrive in a week or so. I want to install Win10 on this new drive. A friend just gave me a...