Windows 10: AHCI or RAID

Discus and support AHCI or RAID in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by djwoody, Mar 30, 2016.

1. djwoody Win User

AHCI or RAID

Hi.
    I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD.
    I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI?
    I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces perform better boot times? Are there any other advantages?
    Any advice would be great.

Chris

:)

djwoody, Mar 30, 2016

2. Cannot convert SSD drive from legacy (MBR) to UEFI (GPT) because of the System-reserved partition

As Saltgras mentioned, do you have your BIOS/UEFI settings in IDE or AHCI mode? You need to use AHCI mode in order to work with GPT drives and your BIOS needs to be UEFI capable. Do check that and post back. If you have a RAID option
    there you could use that too as RAID and AHCI have similar settings and some manufacturers even recommend using RAID instead of AHCI regardless if you have RAID arrays or not.

Captain_WD, Mar 30, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology Failure - Platform Not Supported

OK, that is probably the issue, your SATA mode is set to AHCI,
    Click HERE
    for the version for AHCI - all the rest of the Intel downloads are for SATA RAID . . .

DaveM121, Mar 30, 2016
  4. Clintlgm Win User

AHCI or RAID

I would go with what your notebook came with, unless you have a particular reason like adding a 2nd SSD 512GB and wanting to RAID 0 them? Otherwise leave the BIOS/UEFI alone

Clintlgm, Mar 30, 2016
  5. djwoody Win User
    It came set up in RAID so maybe I should leave it as that.
    The only problem I have noticed in RAID mode is the read speeds more than halve after the notebook has been to sleep. 800mb/s compared to 1700mb/s.
    I very rarely use the sleep function so guess its not that much of a problem.
    Would boot up times be very similar?

djwoody, Mar 30, 2016
  6. Clintlgm Win User
    Well it sounds like you have a M.2 PCIe SSD just guessing but Samsung 951? Either NVMe or PCIe SATA our Asus notebooks are coming with the same. However we have no option to change the BIOS/UEFI from Raid mode, so a clean install will require having IRST driver ready to install F6 during the clean install. Speeds don't seem to change much between AHCI and RAID. I would check with the Dell forum for the best procedure to move forward notebooks tend to be proprietary and with this new NVMe standard being implemented specifically with each manufacture

Clintlgm, Mar 30, 2016
  7. I have a Dell precision 7710 and it was defaulted to RAID. I changed to AHCI (with UEFI and secureboot enabled) and could to a clean install to a Samsung 951 without needing the F6 drivers. I used the MS download tool to create a USB boot drive. If bios is set to RAID, you would need the F6 drivers.

The advantage of using AHCI is you can use the Samsung NVMe driver for the 951. If the bios is set to RAID, you cannot use the Samsung Driver and use the MS default or the IRST drivers.

If you already installed under RAID, you can change to AHCI with Win 10. In Win 10, set to do a safemode boot (run => msconfi => boot => safe boot). On the reboot, hit F2 and go into bios and change to AHCI. this will boot into safemode and load the default MS drivers. go back to MS config and change to normal boot, then reboot. Then install the Samsung NVMe driver. If you just change in the bios and do not go into Safemode, you will get a blue screen on boot.

Mike

rinconmike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

AHCI or RAID

1. AHCI or RAID - Similar Threads - AHCI RAID

2. Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.: I'm trying to Clean-Install Windows 11 onto my laptop. Apparently, there's some obstacle that prevents certain laptops--like this Dell Latitude 7430--from Clean-Installing, something to do with "AHCI" and "RAID" modes in the BIOS. According to this thread on the Dell forum,...
  3. Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Latitude. Can't Clean-Install because of "AHCI" and "RAID" complications.: I'm trying to Clean-Install Windows 11 onto my laptop. Apparently, there's some obstacle that prevents certain laptops--like this Dell Latitude 7430--from Clean-Installing, something to do with "AHCI" and "RAID" modes in the BIOS. According to this thread on the Dell forum,...
  4. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?: Hello, Recently i install window 10, after installation i change SATA mode from Raid to AHCI using Safe boot, currently its working fine but i am confused will it cause any issue in future. should i reinstall window to not encounter any issue in near future....
  5. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?: Hello, Recently i install window 10, after installation i change SATA mode from Raid to AHCI using Safe boot, currently its working fine but i am confused will it cause any issue in future. should i reinstall window to not encounter any issue in near future....
  6. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI: I need to change my BIOS from RAID/RST to AHCI to support a dual-boot configuration.I took care to create a Windows 11 System Image on an external drive and a System Repair DVD before doing anything else.However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc...
  8. Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI

Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI: I need to change my BIOS from RAID/RST to AHCI to support a dual-boot configuration.I took care to create a Windows 11 System Image on an external drive and a System Repair DVD before doing anything else.However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc...
  9. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  10. How to change from raid to ahci?

How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...