Windows 10: AHCI setting in BIOS

Discus and support AHCI setting in BIOS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a MB that lets me change the SATA Type. The options are: Native IDE RAID AHCI It is set to Native IDE now. I don’t want to run a raid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sven1458, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Sven1458 Win User

AHCI setting in BIOS

I have a MB that lets me change the SATA Type.
    The options are:
    Native IDE
    RAID
    AHCI
    It is set to Native IDE now. I don’t want to run a raid configuration.
    What is AHCI.
    What does it do?
    Is there an advantage in switching to AHCI?
    Thanks
    Sven

:)

Sven1458, Oct 27, 2015

2. installed windows 10 now won't start

Hi Dave

Try going to the BIOS by pressing the appropriate Keys before the Operating System Loads and try setting the factory settings there too.

If that didn’t work, Go to BIOS and go to the SATA Mode and change it to AHCI if it is set to IDE Mode and If it is set to IDE change it to AHCI and try again.

Yadu Krishnan K, Oct 27, 2015
  3. Cannot convert SSD drive from legacy (MBR) to UEFI (GPT) because of the System-reserved partition

As Saltgras mentioned, do you have your BIOS/UEFI settings in IDE or AHCI mode? You need to use AHCI mode in order to work with GPT drives and your BIOS needs to be UEFI capable. Do check that and post back. If you have a RAID option
    there you could use that too as RAID and AHCI have similar settings and some manufacturers even recommend using RAID instead of AHCI regardless if you have RAID arrays or not.

Captain_WD, Oct 27, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

AHCI setting in BIOS

The IDE and AHCI are two different ways of how the motherboard speaks to the hard disk (different set of input/output commands). The old, legacy one is IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which was also used for IDE/ATAPI disks. It is used for compatibility with older Windows versions such as XP and with old hardware. The newer AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) is used in newer hardware and Windows versions and has some features not implemented in the IDE mode. It is also faster under certain conditions. The problem is that the two are not compatible, so once you have set the hard disk to one and have installed Windows, you cannot normally switch to the other or you will get a blue screen of death (BSOD). If you have a rather new PC and you are going to clean-install Windows, you can set the disk in AHCI mode for better performance (although I have hardly seen any difference) and then install Windows. But then you cannot change it back to IDE. Some troubleshooting CD-ROMs such as Hiren's Boot CD use legacy applications (DOS) so the disk might not be detected or be readable in AHCI mode. In this case, I change it temporarily to IDE mode, so I can test it and troubleshoot it with these tools and then I set it back to AHCI for normal use. The last mode, RAID (Redundant Array of Identical Disks) is when you combine two or more disks in various configurations. The most two common of them are to extend the disk capacity by adding them (Stripe) or to copy one's data on the other as backup (Mirror). Usually RAID requires two identical disks (same capacity and speed) but in other configurations different disks may be used.

Summary: IDE and AHCI are different ways the motherboard communicates with the hard disk. Don't change it once Windows are installed or you will get an error. Before you install Windows AHCI should give better performance (at least in theory), so you can set it to AHCI before a new Windows installation. Once set to AHCI or IDE, don't change it!

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  5. Sven1458 Win User
    Thank you very much for the explanation.
    I will keep it as is.
    Sven

Sven1458, Oct 27, 2015
  6. strollin Win User
    You can change from IDE to AHCI but it requires a registry edit prior to changing the option in the BIOS. If you simply change the BIOS setting without the registry tweak the OS will try to load the wrong controller driver and will not boot.

Here's a link to the tutorial on how to do it: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

strollin, Oct 27, 2015
  7. Sven1458 Win User
    Thanks,
    from what I read in other posts, there is not much of a difference, short of hot plugging.
    I will stay with IDE for now.
    Thanks again
    Sven

Sven1458, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

AHCI setting in BIOS

1. AHCI setting in BIOS - Similar Threads - AHCI setting BIOS

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Switched from RAID to AHCI in BIOS and lost reboot abilities: I have MSI Titan GT80 SLI running latest Win10... actually two of them configured nearly identically. Both came with the RAID enabled. I undid the RAID. Now the disks are separate and the OS is just on one disk. Ever since then, I lost the ability to reboot. It comes down and...
  6. BIOS setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS setting: Bios Settings Security Strong password Question: Does the strong password option support all system wide password options in use of any and all of any of the keyboard numbers in upper case. !, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, , . And any of the non letter keyboard characters, ~ ,...
  7. Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help understanding my Raid/ahci bios options: I have something I don't understand and my story is a little long so bear with me. I recently set up a Dell Precision T3600 workstation which is working with a ssd boot drive (on sata3 port 1 (my optical drive is on sata3 port 0) and a hdd storage drive which is on sata2...
  8. Windows Sandbox crashes with error 0xc0370106 if BIOS SATA operation is set to AHCI.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Sandbox crashes with error 0xc0370106 if BIOS SATA operation is set to AHCI.: If SATA operations in BIOS is set to RAID, Sandbox works fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-sandbox-crashes-with-error-0xc0370106-if/44b570e9-b659-4ab4-aa51-faf2d84e5fbf
  9. BIOS settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BIOS settings: How do I configure BIOS settings on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-settings/ddd53601-5bcb-4091-9192-c2b28f89ca67"
  10. I Don't have any AHCI mode in my BIOS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I Don't have any AHCI mode in my BIOS?: Hello people, i'm new in this forum so i'm sorry if i shouldn't post in this section so i just bought a new SSD (850 evo 250gb) And it says on it's software i should enable AHCI mode on my bios to get it faster. also the tests results show 250 when it was supposed to hit...