Windows 10: AHCI still not fixed???

Discus and support AHCI still not fixed??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; has anyone found any information about ms fixing ahci in win 10? i just can't believe after so many months that they STILL have not fixed this. any new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by STEVAE, Jun 6, 2015.

1. STEVAE Win User

AHCI still not fixed???

has anyone found any information about ms fixing ahci in win 10? i just can't believe after so many months that they STILL have not fixed this. any new information is appreciated. thanks!

:)

STEVAE, Jun 6, 2015
  2. auggy Win User

Windows Explorer freezes when I access Blu-Ray drive (ASUS BW-12B1ST)

Can you install the "Intel RAID/AHCI Win10 32bit&64bit V14.5.0.1081--(WHQL)" which is available for Windows 10 64-bit from the following link under "SATA":

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H81MD_PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

After restarting the computer can you check that the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" has changed to an "Intel SATA AHCI Controller".

Then check if the Blu-Ray drive still freezes.

auggy, Jun 6, 2015
  3. Driver for TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C

Hi

My Device Manager shows "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" and not "Standard SATA AHCI controller".

I still followed the procedure but it returned that my controller was up to date, so no changes were made.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Bernie

Easterngrey, Jun 6, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

AHCI still not fixed???

Can you explain further? I have my BIOS set AHCI and it works fine for me.

Dude, Jun 6, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    Isn't that part of the chipset driver?

badrobot, Jun 6, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Yes it is, as well as a setting in the BIOS

Dude, Jun 6, 2015
  7. Stevae,

I don't to understand what you mean by fixing ahci.

The only thing I can think of is that some OEMs simply set the BIOS to default AHCI and don't list the option. HP is one of those OEMs, but I though ASUS provided more access to BIOS options.

If it isn't the BIOS setting that you're question concerns, please provide a better description of the issue.

Slartybart, Jun 7, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

AHCI still not fixed???

Msahci was badly flowed in some early AMD chipsets and was giving poor results with SSDs. I have run into those problems couple of years ago. There were some modded AMD AHCI drivers that did the job better starting from Win7. Solutions were to install AMD 14.2 Omega drivers that contained chipset drivers too. Since than, SSDs work just fine in AHCI mode although a bit slower than on Intel chipsets with IRST drivers. Difference is all but impossible to see in normal operation.
    Edit
    Win10 has apparently fixed problems with IDE/AHCI modes as it boots up in either mode without having to change Registry unlike Win7 when you have to do it manually. In W8.1 if you are in wrong SATA mode is enough to BOOT in safe mode, reboot in regular mode for changes to take effect.

CountMike, Jun 7, 2015
  9. STEVAE Win User
    what i mean is for advanced drives. i have the pcie sm951 ahci ssd. this is one of the newest and fastest drives in the world right now, and windows ten version of ahci is not optimized to be able to use it to its fullest potential, because they haven't updated the drivers for ahci. of course there are no problems with older ahci drives, but for anything new, they just haven't bothered to get around to it. and that is strange considering that win 10 is not only the newest version of windows, but supposed to be optimized for just these type of situations.

STEVAE, Jun 7, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    I think its highly unlikely that the generic ahci driver would cover a specialized drive. Your drive manufacturer likely will have to provide a driver for it.

Mystere, Jun 7, 2015
  11. STEVAE Win User
    its not a generic driver, and it isn't for the specific drive. it is for the newer technology. read up on the sm951 and you will see. it is all covered in several of the reviews.

STEVAE, Jun 7, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    What i'm reading is that AHCI is basically a dead-end for PCIe devices, and that a new controller type called NVMe (or NVMHCI) is what will be used to make these drives perform well. However, you need to have a drive designed for NVMe.

I'm not really finding any information on improve AHCI drivers... The problem stems from the limitations of the AHCI protocol itself, which you can read about here:

NVM Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically this:

AHCI NVMe Maximum queue depth 1 command queue;
    32 commands per queue 65536 queues;
    65536 commands per queue Uncacheable register accesses
    (2000 cycles each) 6 per non-queued command;
    9 per queued command 2 per command MSI-X
    and interrupt steering single interrupt;
    no steering 2048 MSI-X interrupts Parallelism
    and multiple threads requires synchronization lock
    to issue a command no locking Efficiency
    for 4 KB commands command parameters require
    two serialized host DRAM fetches gets command parameters
    in one 64 Bytes fetch

Mystere, Jun 7, 2015
  13. STEVAE Win User

AHCI still not fixed???

ahci isn't dead, it is still used in a hugh array of drives. but nvme is definitely where things are going. but you can't hardly find them just yet. there is only two in production right now, and getting them is extremely hard. shortly nvme will be the standard, because it is much faster than ahci. but for right now, i need ahci working at its best.

STEVAE, Jun 7, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    That's kind of my point... AHCI's "best" is not very good for these devices... AHCI is specifically a poor performer with PCIe devices according to what I've read.

Can you provide any references other than "search the web" that prove this is a bug in the AHCI driver?

Mystere, Jun 7, 2015
  15. Thanks for the clarification.

These are relatively new devices - I agree that Win10 should include driver support for them (Win8.1 already does). The issue isn't Windows though ... it's more motherboards and firmware. Windows can't change those things.

Thanks again ... I always learn from other members either by the questions they ask or the answers they provide.

Here are a few things I found:

NVM Express

Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website

NVMe Integrator's List | InterOperability Laboratory

AHCI and NVMe as Interfaces for SATA
    Express™ Devices - Overview
    (PDF)

NVMe solid state drives are coming to a PC near you | Digital Trends
    Everything you need to know about NVMe, the insanely fast future for SSDs | PCWorld

Slartybart, Jun 7, 2015
Thema:

AHCI still not fixed???

1. AHCI still not fixed??? - Similar Threads - AHCI still fixed

2. how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci": my dell T3500 already installed win10 , but i want to install a redhat for dual boot,so i partition a large driver E in win10, I want to use it for redhat installing, during i installing redhat, dirver E cannot appear in install destination, so i check online, it say i should...
  3. how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci": my dell T3500 already installed win10 , but i want to install a redhat for dual boot,so i partition a large driver E in win10, I want to use it for redhat installing, during i installing redhat, dirver E cannot appear in install destination, so i check online, it say i should...
  4. how to change "rdid autodetect/ahci" to "ahci"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  6. AHCI Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI Driver: Why does the Microsoft Standard AHCI driver out-perform Intel's RST AHCI driver? Case scenario; Fresh install of Windows 10 x64 on MSI Z370M gaming pro AC with I5 9600k and Samsung Pro 860 Evo 1TB SSD. Running Samsung Magician benchmarks give me Sequential Read/Write and...
  7. AHCI to RST

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AHCI to RST: Hello, I've been messing around a little bit with Linux dual boot so i had to switch from RST to AHCI and change some stuff in the registry. Now I want to switch back from AHCI to RST without causing any damage, I don't mind to format my Windows 10 if necessary (need to...
  8. AHCI and IDE

AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  10. Is AHCI enabled?

Is AHCI enabled?: Hello. I got my hp Z800 a Samsung 850 evo ssd 250gb installed. I also got the Samsung magician software (Current version). It's says that AHCI is not enabled, but when I go to the bios it shows that AHCI is enabled. I attached some pictures for you. Windows Problems –...