Windows 10: Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10

Discus and support Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 10 and displayed both "Headphone" and "Headset" options for sound and sound/microphone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesYoung_03, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10

My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 10 and displayed both "Headphone" and "Headset" options for sound and sound/microphone accordingly. After reconnecting my Airpods today, they were only added as "Headphones" and not a "Headset" meaning I cannot use the mic.

I have already tried updating the drivers and restarting both components

:)

JamesYoung_03, Apr 14, 2021

2. Airpods Pro super loud on Windows 10

Recently, my AirPods Pro began playing at max volume when connected to Windows 10. I can move the Windows volume slider up and down and the volume does not change. The AirPods Pro were working just fine for several weeks, not I can not use them on Windows

I found this post and followed its advice, but it did not fix the issue. I have removed the AirPods Pro device from the computer, rebooted the computer, and re-paired the AirPods Pro. No change. The AirPods Pro work fine on my iPhone.

EDIT: It appears that the issue is with the "Headset" device. If I switch the volume profile to "Headphones" the volume plays normally and can be adjusted by the slider. See reply from "lacrumb" below. However, this is not a permanent solution for me as
    I frequently take calls and need the "Headset" to work for that.

Any suggestions?

bbains_582, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Airpods pro connectivity to Surface Book 2

I can't connect my airpods pro headphones to my SB2. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JoanneJoanne2, Apr 14, 2021
  4. wpcoe Win User

Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10

AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10

Before re-installing Win10 Pro (20H2, v.2) last night my AirPods Pro worked like a charm: clear sound, full range from treble to bass. I could use the squeeze/tap functions to pause audio, jump tracks forward/reverse.

After re-installing Win10 last night my AirPods Pro are misbehaving. I noticed a steep decline in audio quality (sounds like a 1950s AM radio) and couldn't use the squeeze/tap functions.

Windows shows two AirPods items -- both in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices and on the Speakers icon in the taskbar notification area:
    Headphones - AirPods Pro Stereo
    Headset - Airpods Pro Hands-Free AG Audio

With the "Headphones" selected: I get the audio quality I had before: clear with full range of sounds, but I don't get the squeeze/tap functions.

With the "Headset" selected, I get the horrendous audio quality, but I get the squeeze/tap functions. Windows says all the correct and current drivers are installed.

I uninstalled all the AirPods entries from Device Manager and rebooted, but they reinstalled with the same situation.

How can I get what I had before re-installing Win10: (a) clear, full-range sound and (b) able to use the squeeze/tap functions?

wpcoe, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10

1. Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Airpods connected headphones

2. AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset: My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 11 but they were only added as "Headphones" and not a "Headset" meaning I cannot use the mic. I can't seem to add a screenshot to this post but within my sound settings >> more settings, I've only got headphones in my...
  3. AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset: My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 11 but they were only added as "Headphones" and not a "Headset" meaning I cannot use the mic. I can't seem to add a screenshot to this post but within my sound settings >> more settings, I've only got headphones in my...
  4. Connection issue in Headset/ headphones with mic.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connection issue in Headset/ headphones with mic.: Hi, I am facing an issue regarding the connection of my mic. I am using headphones that have built in mic within them and the headphones use a 3.5 mm jack. Earlier when I used to connect them, my laptop asked me if I wanted to use them as a headphone or a headset and I chose...
  5. Connection issue in Headset/ headphones with mic.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connection issue in Headset/ headphones with mic.: Hi, I am facing an issue regarding the connection of my mic. I am using headphones that have built in mic within them and the headphones use a 3.5 mm jack. Earlier when I used to connect them, my laptop asked me if I wanted to use them as a headphone or a headset and I chose...
  6. Why is my headset connected as a headphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is my headset connected as a headphone: every time i plug in my headset, i press on the volume icon and it still says "Speakers RealtekR Audio. So i cannot use my headset mic in any game or xbox party or anything, instead the mic is coming from my pc. I need help, this has been going on for the past couple of days...
  7. AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10

AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10: Before re-installing Win10 Pro (20H2, v.2) last night my AirPods Pro worked like a charm: clear sound, full range from treble to bass. I could use the squeeze function to pause audio, jump tracks forward/reverse. After re-installing Win10 last night my AirPods Pro are...
  8. airpods not connecting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    airpods not connecting: Every time I try connecting my AirPods to my computer it says "driver unavailable", I checked the device manager and the "microsoft_hfp_audio_device_97 was not working, I tried updating the driver but that didn't work and I also tried reinstalling it....
  9. Bluetooth Headphones Connecting as Headset Only

Bluetooth Headphones Connecting as Headset Only: Hi, I am having an issue with two different pairs of bluetooth headphones (Plantronics and Senso - different manufacturers) only connecting to my PC as a bluetooth "headset", when they used to connect as both "headset" and "headphones". Normally the headphones would be an...
  10. Beats Headphones connect but not headset

Beats Headphones connect but not headset: I am trying to get my beats studio wireless headset to connect to my pc via bluetooth so I can make calls and talk to cortana. I can connect the headphones (listen to music all day and adjust the volume without problems) but the hands free headset is not connecting via...