Windows 10: AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10

Discus and support AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Before re-installing Win10 Pro (20H2, v.2) last night my AirPods Pro worked like a charm: clear sound, full range from treble to bass. I could use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wpcoe, Dec 25, 2020.

1. wpcoe Win User

AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10

Before re-installing Win10 Pro (20H2, v.2) last night my AirPods Pro worked like a charm: clear sound, full range from treble to bass. I could use the squeeze function to pause audio, jump tracks forward/reverse.

After re-installing Win10 last night my AirPods Pro are misbehaving. I noticed a steep decline in audio quality (sounds like a 1950s AM radio) and couldn't use the squeeze function.

Windows shows two AirPods items -- both in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Manage audio devices and on the Speakers icon in the taskbar notification area:

Headphones - AirPods Pro Stereo
    Headset - Airpods Pro Hands-Free AG Audio

With the "Headphones" selected: I get the audio quality I had before: clear with full range of sounds, but I don't get the squeeze functions.

With the "Headset" selected, I get the horrendous audio quality, but I get the squeeze functions. Windows says all the correct and current drivers are installed.

I uninstalled all the AirPods entries from Device Manager and rebooted, but they reinstalled with the same situation.

How can I get what I had before re-installing Win10: (a) clear, full-range sound and (b) able to use the squeeze functions?

:)

wpcoe, Dec 25, 2020

2. Airpods Pro super loud on Windows 10

Recently, my AirPods Pro began playing at max volume when connected to Windows 10. I can move the Windows volume slider up and down and the volume does not change. The AirPods Pro were working just fine for several weeks, not I can not use them on Windows

I found this post and followed its advice, but it did not fix the issue. I have removed the AirPods Pro device from the computer, rebooted the computer, and re-paired the AirPods Pro. No change. The AirPods Pro work fine on my iPhone.

EDIT: It appears that the issue is with the "Headset" device. If I switch the volume profile to "Headphones" the volume plays normally and can be adjusted by the slider. See reply from "lacrumb" below. However, this is not a permanent solution for me as
    I frequently take calls and need the "Headset" to work for that.

Any suggestions?

bbains_582, Dec 25, 2020
  3. Airpods pro connectivity to Surface Book 2

I can't connect my airpods pro headphones to my SB2. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JoanneJoanne2, Dec 25, 2020
  4. AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10

How to get good sound quality on Windows with airpods pro in Headset mode?

My Airpods pro have a very good sound quality on my Mac/iPhone, but have a very, very poor quality on Windows when used as a headset. Windows install them with 2 "modes". One is "Headphones" where the quality is great, but the microphone cannot be used.
    The other is "Headset", where the quality is horrendous (not acceptable at all). When in headset mode, there is a constant noise in the background, and the quality is very, very low (this is not the case on any other OS I've tried it on). In the headset mode,
    the volume is very high, even at the lowest setting (using the Windows volume slider). Finally, when using apps to do videoconferences, like Teams, the volume slider does not affect the sound volume at all (I made sure to have selected the headset mode in
    the volume slider, and the same mode in the Teams settings). The slider moves, but it does not affect the volume at all.

I tried updating the firmware of my Airpods pro, updating Windows, updating the laptop using the Dell update tool (which included a Bluetooth drivers update), none of that had any effect. I tried unregistering the Airpods pro (forgetting the bluetooth device),
    and adding it again, which also did not help. I tried restarting the computer, as well as to put the headset mode as default in the Sound settings, but it doesn't help.

What did I miss? How can I fix this problem? This issue does not exist on MacOs (Macbook Pro 2015).

Thanks

DavidGourde, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10

1. AirPods Pro problems between "Headset" and "Headphones" in Win10 - Similar Threads - AirPods Pro problems

2. I have a problem with my airpod Pro Headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a problem with my airpod Pro Headphones: I have a problem with my airpods Pro, I am using the "Headphones Airpods pro stereo " device and there is no sound playing what so ever. I have tried multiple fixes and nothing has worked. If I switch to "headset airpods pro stereo" there will be sound playing but the quality...
  3. I have a problem with my airpod Pro Headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a problem with my airpod Pro Headphones: I have a problem with my airpods Pro, I am using the "Headphones Airpods pro stereo " device and there is no sound playing what so ever. I have tried multiple fixes and nothing has worked. If I switch to "headset airpods pro stereo" there will be sound playing but the quality...
  4. AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset: My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 11 but they were only added as "Headphones" and not a "Headset" meaning I cannot use the mic. I can't seem to add a screenshot to this post but within my sound settings >> more settings, I've only got headphones in my...
  5. AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AirPods Paired as Headphones and not Headset: My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 11 but they were only added as "Headphones" and not a "Headset" meaning I cannot use the mic. I can't seem to add a screenshot to this post but within my sound settings >> more settings, I've only got headphones in my...
  6. Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Airpods connected as headphones but not headset in Windows 10: My Airpod Pros were connected to my laptop running Windows 10 and displayed both "Headphone" and "Headset" options for sound and sound/microphone accordingly. After reconnecting my Airpods today, they were only added as "Headphones" and not a "Headset" meaning I cannot use...
  7. Bluetooth problem when switching profile between Headset/Headphones

Bluetooth problem when switching profile between Headset/Headphones: I'm using an HP Elitebook 1040 G7; ever since I got that a couple of weeks ago, I have a problem with my bluetooth headsets no matter which. Every bluetooth headset is usually connected with two profiles, Headset for communications and Headphone for media, with stereo sound...
  8. Airpods Pro, Sound problems

Airpods Pro, Sound problems: Hi, I just bought the Apple airpods pro and connected them to my pc. For some reason the sound works great only when I am using one of them, if I use both the sound usually cuts out after a while. I have tried disconnecting and connecting them a few times with no result. This...
  9. Headphones and headset problem win10?

Headphones and headset problem win10?: Hello I have a big problem with my headset I hear myself and I can still hear noise what can be the reason? I have win 10 and I have also tried it with another headset and always the same someone can help me. Kopfhörer und Headset Problem win10?
  10. Bluetooth headphones play Win10 audio as headset, but not as headphones

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth headphones play Win10 audio as headset, but not as headphones: I've got a pair of Bluetooth headphones, which I want to use to listen to audio on my PC and don't need to use as a headset (although they do contain a microphone for that purpose). When I pair them to my PC, two audio devices show up as available. One is a hands-free...