Windows 10: Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM)

Discus and support Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop running Windows 10. On the task bar there is an icon that indicates "Action Recommended." I click it, and it takes me to "Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MikeFox, Jun 17, 2018.

1. MikeFox Win User

Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM)

I have an HP laptop running Windows 10. On the task bar there is an icon that indicates "Action Recommended." I click it, and it takes me to "Windows Defender Security Center." I find an exclamation mark near "Device security." It says "A firmware update is needed for your security processor (TPM)." I click it.
    I am taken to "Device security." I click on "Security processor troubleshooting." I click the option to "Clear TPM logs." I click "Clear and restart", and then I get a prompt for UAC. I click "Yes" and the UAC prompt goes away. But nothing happens. This to me is the main problem.

I tried another method with the Device Manager. I got an error message and promptly stopped trying that method.

I have tried other alternative methods to fix this. There is a Microsoft link that takes me here: HPSBHF03568 rev. 8 - Infineon TPM Security Update | HP® Customer Support

I install the HP firmware that is recommended via an .exe file. But the problem persists.

I read that there was an alternative way of clearing TPM in the BIOS. But when I go to the BIOS the "TPM Embedded Security" link option is grayed out. I tried unchecking the "System Management command" option. But after a reboot and going into BIOS, the "TPM Embedded Security" link is still grayed out.

My TPM has these specifications:

Manufacturer: IFX
    Manufacturer version: 4.40
    Specification version: 1.2
    PPI specification version: 1.2
    TPM specification subversion: 2, 3

How do I protect myself from the TPM vulnerability? I wonder if there is a chance that it is a false alarm for me.

:)

MikeFox, Jun 17, 2018

2. Update your security processor (TPM) firmware

Is it just piece of cake or is this operation dangerous? I'm afraid to loose all my encrypted data???

3. Clear your TPM

Important

Before clearing your TPM, be sure to back up your data.
    Do not clear the TPM on a device you do not own, such as a work or school PC, without being instructed to do so by your IT administrator.

Follow these steps to clear your TPM:

• Go to Start > Settings >
      Update & Security > Windows Security >
      Device security
    • Under Security processor, select
      Security processor details
    • Select Security processor troubleshooting, and then under
      Clear TPM, select Clear TPM.

Your device will need to restart before the process is complete.

FinnSvenning, Jun 17, 2018
  3. TPM update

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread but whatever, laptop informed me that " a firmware update is needed for you security processor (TPM)," now, i looked up what to do and from a microsoft support thing, the last step says to clear the tpm. it has a warning saying to back up my data, i would like to know what clearing the tpm does, and what measures i need to take to make sure nothing goes wrong.

ReeeeallyThough, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM)

Windows update 1803 Security processor A firmware update is needed for your security processor (TPM). Unsure how to repair this issue.

Please help.

Device security>Security processor>Security processor details>Security processor troubleshooting>Error messages

! Device health attestation isn't supported on this device

! A firmware update is needed for your security processor (TPM)

How do I repair these faults?

Where do i get the Firmware update from?

I have gone to Clear TPM but to be hoest I don't know enough to be confident enough to do this because the message below it says: ''Clearing the TPM resets it to default settings. Be sure to back up your data before clearing the TPM. Your device will restart
    to complete the action.''

How on earth do I 'back up' my data?

This has only happened after the last Windows update which is as follows:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 1803

Installed on 5/16/2018

OS build 17134.81

Here are my Security processor details/Specifications

Manufacturer IFX

Manufacturer version 4.32

Specification version 1.2

PPI specification version 1.2

TMP specification sub-version 2.3

Status

Attestation Not supported

Storage Ready

Gareth Millers, Jun 17, 2018
Thema:

Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM)

1. Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM) - Similar Threads - Alert firmware update

2. Windows 11 showing error message "A firmware update is needed for your security processor,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 showing error message "A firmware update is needed for your security processor,...: Where do I find the update for the TPM firmware? There is nothing available for this machine, Lenovo Yoga 920 model 80Y7 at the Lenovo support site.Any idea on how to fix this?...
  3. Windows 11 showing error message "A firmware update is needed for your security processor,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 showing error message "A firmware update is needed for your security processor,...: Where do I find the update for the TPM firmware? There is nothing available for this machine, Lenovo Yoga 920 model 80Y7 at the Lenovo support site.Any idea on how to fix this?...
  4. Alert! TPM device is not detected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alert! TPM device is not detected.: Alert! TPM device is not detected.Dear, Dear All, I have done all the possible processes to enable the TPM option in the Bios, but this option does not appear in the security menu and nowhere in the Bios, I need your help, I attach images and my laptop model is Dell Latitude...
  5. Alert! TPM device is not detected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alert! TPM device is not detected.: Alert! TPM device is not detected.Dear, Dear All, I have done all the possible processes to enable the TPM option in the Bios, but this option does not appear in the security menu and nowhere in the Bios, I need your help, I attach images and my laptop model is Dell Latitude...
  6. Alert! TPM device is not detected.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Alert! TPM device is not detected.

Alert! TPM device is not detected.: This picture is collected from Reddit, but I have a similar problem. I updated my firmware from the Dell support assist app. I should mention that my power IC was water damaged, so I fixed my laptop from a local mechanic. My laptop model was Dell Inspiron 15 but after that...
  8. TPM Security Processor fails to start.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TPM Security Processor fails to start.: Hello all, I've been experiencing constant problems with my TPM on my device. I use BitLocker Drive Encryption on my Windows Drive therefore upon booting, I'm always prompted to enter the 25 key recovery key. It's always been troubling me and always working for 5 minutes...
  9. TPM firmware update... WTF?

TPM firmware update... WTF?: Suddenly Kaspersky alerts me to a security issue. Then I check and discover the above. Of all the innumerable problems MS have caused me recently - like having to spend £700 replacing a perfectly usable PC with an AMD processor because current Win 10 is "incompatible" - I...
  10. A FIRMWARE UPDATE IS NEEDED FOR YOUR SECURITY PROCESSOR

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A FIRMWARE UPDATE IS NEEDED FOR YOUR SECURITY PROCESSOR: HI my Zbook, after the update win10 1803 version, show me this message. A FIRMWARE UPDATE IS NEEDED FOR YOUR SECURITY PROCESSOR WHAT I DO WHITOUT LOST MY DATA...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. a firmware update is needed for your security processor

2. ifx security processor firmware update

3. gpo to disable alerts for firmware update required tpm alert