Windows 10: Alienware 17 R3 random? BSOD

Discus and support Alienware 17 R3 random? BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Im not new to computers or SSDs or using them. I AM unfamiliar with what to do when one composts (in somewhere around 30 years, Ive never had one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GracieAllen, May 7, 2021.

1. Alienware 17 R3 random? BSOD

Im not new to computers or SSDs or using them. I AM unfamiliar with what to do when one composts (in somewhere around 30 years, Ive never had one randomly BSOD except when it was something easy, simple and usually stupid. And I still dont. But my wife DOES Alienware 17 R3 laptop. Was my system for several years and never had a problem. Wife inherited it a year or so ago, and SHES never had a problem. Til about 3 days ago. Slow to boot, sometimes didnt boot. Id go over, screen would be blank (no BSOD), shut it off and restart it and it would boot fine. Shed use it for her normal email, Zoom, browsing, whatever, shut it down and it might or might not boot for her. USUALLY it did boot. Then it started, a day or so ago, with a BSOD. It would say there was a problem and it was gathering information. But nothing ever happened. It didnt FINISH gathering information or shut down or do anything. Just sat there. Power it off and it would reboot. She'd usually wander in and TELL ME it had gotten this blue screen and she turned it off. So now its sitting in front of me instead of her. Boots fine, runs fine, ran Malwarebytes with no problem. I opened it up, pulled out the HDD, then the SSD and the memory. Reseated the SSD and memory and, of course, it boots fine. Left the HDD out for the moment. Ran CrystalDiskInfo perfect. Ran CrystalDiskMark for an hour. Ran fine. I checked to see if theres a firmware update and/or video driver update. According to Alienware, there IS a firmware update as of end of March, and its urgent. Downloaded it, put it on the SSD, told it to update in Windows, and it failed. 3 times. Ill have to see if I can find any reason for that. I havent tried the video drivers yet. Am I just urinating into the wind trying the firmware update and video driver updates? Is there some REASONABLY understandable, fairly idiot-proof flow chart/workflow for how to find out WHAT is going on with this thing? Cause when it happens, it doesnt appear to obtain any information ------------ UPDATE... She just walked in and reminded me that it installed 20H2 - some kind of update/add on - some additional Windows update a couple days ago - about the same time she started TELLING me it was acting wonky... FWIW...

:)

GracieAllen, May 7, 2021
  2. AmmAmmm Win User

Alienware 17 r3 after a security update on win 10 is stopping it from charging

my Alienware 17 r3 from 2016 got a security update from windows but I replaced the batteries and the same update appeared and stopped my laptop from charging what the heck is going on? i took it to a repair show and replaced the batteries and updated it
    as well the same thing again no charging can someone please explain this?

AmmAmmm, May 7, 2021
  3. Jacota Win User
    Alienware r3 annd Windows 10

Are the issues fixed with the Alienware R3 and the USB 3.0 Driver and windows 10. If not, could someone please send the info on how to fix it. Thank you,

Jacota, May 7, 2021
  4. Jakeb34 Win User

Alienware 17 R3 random? BSOD

Alienware says it's Microsoft's problem that my Aurora R3 will not upgrade to Windows 10

I was also having an issue like this, I would follow these steps but I really don't want to dual-boot. Do you think Microsoft (because I know Alienware wont :/ ) will take steps to help us (people with alienware aurora r3's) out? I really like the look of
    Windows 10 but to be unsupported without having to perform a little trick on the setup (hold down the power button when the computer is restarting in setup, wait about 10 seconds then start it back up again; basically a manual reboot) is a shame.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f2mvq/upgrade_stuck_on_boot/

This is the post on reddit on the issue, people have had issues with their R3's.

Jakeb34, May 7, 2021
Thema:

Alienware 17 R3 random? BSOD

1. Alienware 17 R3 random? BSOD - Similar Threads - Alienware random BSOD

2. I have a Alienware 17 R3 with an Intel i7-6820HK and not on compatibility list for Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a Alienware 17 R3 with an Intel i7-6820HK and not on compatibility list for Windows...: I have a Alienware 17 R3 with an Intel i7-6820HK and is not on compatibility list for Windows 11 upgrade. Is this processor going to be supported at a later date? Everything else is good for upgrade. This was a $3,000 laptop and prefer not to have to buy a new one....
  3. I have a Alienware 17 R3 with an Intel i7-6820HK and not on compatibility list for Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a Alienware 17 R3 with an Intel i7-6820HK and not on compatibility list for Windows...: I have a Alienware 17 R3 with an Intel i7-6820HK and is not on compatibility list for Windows 11 upgrade. Is this processor going to be supported at a later date? Everything else is good for upgrade. This was a $3,000 laptop and prefer not to have to buy a new one....
  4. alienware 17 R5 problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    alienware 17 R5 problems: I reinstalled windows 11 on my alienware 17 R5 gaming laptop. It has a NVidia 1070 video card has a main graphic card and a intel HD 650 video card thats not used. My problem is when my computer monitor goes out from not using it for awhile it won't come back on when i wiggle...
  5. Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: This computer was purchased 5 years ago and within the first year it began experiencing BSOD errors which occured perhaps once every 2 months.Two years into owning the computer and BSOD errors continued to happen more often to the point where, as soon as windows booted up,...
  6. Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: This computer was purchased 5 years ago and within the first year it began experiencing BSOD errors which occured perhaps once every 2 months.Two years into owning the computer and BSOD errors continued to happen more often to the point where, as soon as windows booted up,...
  7. Alienware 17 R5 experiences daily BSOD: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. DPC_Watchdog_Violation Randomly on my Alienware 17 R4

DPC_Watchdog_Violation Randomly on my Alienware 17 R4: Hi. Usually when i'm patching games, any of my ssd's and hdd. i have 3 ssd, 1 hdd one time on just only using discord. Two times when i playing games...This BSOD begins after 1809 to 20H2 update. media creation for OS, format via usb stick, clean and step by step driver...
  9. Alienware 17 r3 after a security update on win 10 is stopping it from charging

Alienware 17 r3 after a security update on win 10 is stopping it from charging: my Alienware 17 r3 from 2016 got a security update from windows but I replaced the batteries and the same update appeared and stopped my laptop from charging what the heck is going on? i took it to a repair show and replaced the batteries and updated it as well the same thing...
  10. Alienware 15 R3 Windows Hello Not Working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Alienware 15 R3 Windows Hello Not Working: How can i fix thiis? It stays like this the IR camera wont open for windows Hello. The driver of the camera is updated already. Any help there?[ATTACH]...