Windows 10: Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

Discus and support Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, first time posting, but i have a couple questions regarding my Alienware M18X R2 laptop. Sorry if this is the wrong place. This might get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 1Alienware, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

Hi everyone, first time posting, but i have a couple questions regarding my Alienware M18X R2 laptop. Sorry if this is the wrong place. This might get a little messy..

1: My "G" and "H" Keys do not work on keyboard, any tips or tricks to get it to work besides replacing the whole keyboard? I did reset the cable, and no change, this is also a new install of Windows 10 Home 1909 18363.628 on a internal 500GB SSD.

2: I have what looks like pressure spots on screen
    Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec) [​IMG]

Any way to fix this without having to replace the screen? The picture makes it look pretty bad, but its only visual on white backgrounds.

Im getting the feeling that this laptop lived a hardish life before i picked it up off Craigslist.

So far i reinstalled and activated the correct OS (10 Home 1909 18363.628), it had a unactivated W10 Pro installed
    Upgraded to a 500GB SSD
    Upgraded to 16GB ram
    Cleaned all 3 fans and grills. They were spotless to begin with.
    Tighten the screen hinges

Anything else i should do with it besides the obvious issues that i posted?

The I7 2920XM Runs over 4.2 Ghz with level 3 OC enabled in BIOS and high performance mode selected, and no throttling even under moderate load.
    The ATI AMD HD8970 4GB Graphics is also pretty nice.
    Good battery
    Super fast
    Looks the part

One last thing to give background, i ran the service tag that's on bottom of case, and nothing lined up.

The Service tag on bottom of case puts this laptop as a R1, with a lesser CPU, higher RAM amount, larger HDD, and lesser graphics card and a 240 watts power adapter... okay.....

So i then ran a cmd command to get the current board serial #, rechecked that service tag, and this current board comes up as a R2, (also CPU-Z puts this as a M18X R2) but again with completely different specs for a lesser CPU, larger HDD, lesser graphics, more ram and 240 watts power adapter *Huh*Huh

To be clear this has the OEM Dell 330 watt power adapter, had 8GB Ram, had 250GB spinning HDD, ATI HD8970M 4GB and i7 2920XM Cpu.*Banghead

Thanks all!

:)

1Alienware, Feb 5, 2020

2. Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

That's going to be the plan. Parts are getting hard to find lol but ebay seems to be the best bet.

Dell OEM Alienware 18.4 inch screen $120 Dell ALIENWARE M18X Series 18.4" LCD Screen Display Assembly Genuine | eBay

And keyboard $89 NEW Original for Dell Alienware M18x M18x-R1 M18x-R2 Backlit keyboard | eBay
    I figure with the keyboard, i can just transfer over the keys, would that work you think?

Otherwise she seems to be doing well..... Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec) :)

Thanks!

1Alienware, Feb 5, 2020
  3. Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

Hi everyone, first time posting, but i have a couple questions regarding my Alienware M18X R2 laptop. Sorry if this is the wrong place. This might get a little messy..

1: My "G" and "H" Keys do not work on keyboard, any tips or tricks to get it to work besides replacing the whole keyboard? I did reset the cable, and no change, this is also a new install of Windows 10 Home 1909 18363.628 on a internal 500GB SSD.

2: I have what looks like pressure spots on screen
    Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec) [​IMG]

Any way to fix this without having to replace the screen? The picture makes it look pretty bad, but its only visual on white backgrounds.

Im getting the feeling that this laptop lived a hardish life before i picked it up off Craigslist.

So far i reinstalled and activated the correct OS (10 Home 1909 18363.628), it had a unactivated W10 Pro installed
    Upgraded to a 500GB SSD
    Upgraded to 16GB ram
    Cleaned all 3 fans and grills. They were spotless to begin with.
    Tighten the screen hinges

Anything else i should do with it besides the obvious issues that i posted?

The I7 2920XM Runs over 4.2 Ghz with level 3 OC enabled in BIOS and high performance mode selected, and no throttling even under moderate load.
    The ATI AMD HD8970 4GB Graphics is also pretty nice.
    Good battery
    Super fast
    Looks the part

One last thing to give background, i ran the service tag that's on bottom of case, and nothing lined up.

The Service tag on bottom of case puts this laptop as a R1, with a lesser CPU, higher RAM amount, larger HDD, and lesser graphics card and a 240 watts power adapter... okay.....

So i then ran a cmd command to get the current board serial #, rechecked that service tag, and this current board comes up as a R2, (also CPU-Z puts this as a M18X R2) but again with completely different specs for a lesser CPU, larger HDD, lesser graphics, more ram and 240 watts power adapter *Huh*Huh

To be clear this has the OEM Dell 330 watt power adapter, had 8GB Ram, had 250GB spinning HDD, ATI HD8970M 4GB and i7 2920XM Cpu.*Banghead

Thanks all!

1Alienware, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

1Alienware, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

1. Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec) - Similar Threads - Alienware M18X Questions

2. DXD11 alienware m11x r2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DXD11 alienware m11x r2: i just recently acquired an alienware M11X R2 laptop. in my updates it only shows dxd10 but i need dxd11 to play the games i want. someone [please tell me how to acquire dxd11...
  3. DXD11 alienware m11x r2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DXD11 alienware m11x r2: i just recently acquired an alienware M11X R2 laptop. in my updates it only shows dxd10 but i need dxd11 to play the games i want. someone [please tell me how to acquire dxd11...
  4. Alienware M18X R2 hard freeze after idle time (hours - days)

in Windows 10 Support
    Alienware M18X R2 hard freeze after idle time (hours - days): Hi everyone!, I've been having an ongoing problem with random hard freezes after idle time, since the first day i picked up this Alienware M18X R2 1.5 years ago. Back Story, i picked up this M18X r2 with the dell OEM 330 watt power adapter with alot of problems, for if i...
  5. MSFS - question on minimum spec.....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSFS - question on minimum spec.....: I checked the minimum spec for MSFS before buying it - and thought my laptop HP Pavilion met it .... just!! But 1 when loading I get an error message saying that I don't meet the minimum spec, and 2 it runs like a complete dog even at the lowest graphic settings and even...
  6. Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec)

in Windows 10 Support
    Alienware M18X R2 Questions (Screen, Keyboard, Service tag # and Spec): Hi everyone, first time posting, but i have a couple questions regarding my Alienware M18X R2 laptop. Sorry if this is the wrong place. This might get a little messy.. 1: My "G" and "H" Keys do not work on keyboard, any tips or tricks to get it to work besides replacing the...
  7. Monitor Specs Questions

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Specs Questions: I'm thinking of replacing a 1K monitor with 2K and would like whatever advice anybody can provide. 1. Most manufacturers have their own "technology" like Crystalclear, SmartContrast, SmartImage, SplendidPlus Video Intelligence Technology, AQCOLOR, Brightness Intelligence,...
  8. Monitor Specs Questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Specs Questions: I'm thinking of replacing a 1K monitor with 2K and would like whatever advice anybody can provide. 1. Most manufacturers have their own "technology" like Crystalclear, SmartContrast, SmartImage, SplendidPlus Video Intelligence Technology, AQCOLOR, Brightness Intelligence,...
  9. BSOD Alienware 13 R2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Alienware 13 R2: I bought a second hand alienware and it has been constantly blue screening. It seems to be whenever the processor switches power state. If you could help me figure out which driver is playing up it would be greatly appreciated. The computer is an alienware 13 R2 with a...
  10. Alienware M14x R2 stuck on black screen spinning dots help please

in Windows 10 Support
    Alienware M14x R2 stuck on black screen spinning dots help please: okay so I'm probably not posting this in the right area so I apologize if I'm not (i got a BSOD but it ain't a blue screen lol). UPDATE PT.2: ignore the first update because that didn't work. i tried resetting my computer completely, and from a previous media file or w/e...