Windows 10: Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi! I have Windows 10 and it just did an update againt my wishes, if I can permanetly disable that I would!. The update was about 20 minutes and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KMiller34, Aug 19, 2020.

1. KMiller34 Win User

Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update

Hi!

I have Windows 10 and it just did an update againt my wishes, if I can permanetly disable that I would!. The update was about 20 minutes and when it was finished, all appeared normal until I saved a file to my desktop and realized that all my icons were repositioned.

I tried turning off/on the align to grid feature but even when disabled, my files and folders on the deskop appear to be snapping to a grid. Right now, there is almost an inch of space between the icon and the bottom of my screen. Before, I could almost hide the icon off of the screen it was able to go so low. Also, when I try to drag the file/folder to the edge of the screen left or right, it jumps to a totaly different location and is spacing them out as if on a grid. Before, I was able to overlap the icons which I prefer and place them as close together as I wanted.

Is there another setting I'm overlooking? This is driving me nuts because it leaves my icons "floating" in the middle of my screen.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

:)

KMiller34, Aug 19, 2020
  2. LeoSeabra Win User

desktop icons snap to grid

Hi!

Welcome to our community.

This is Leocadia, independent community expert, and I am glad to assist you today.

Please, follow the instructions below:

1.Right-click an empty part of the desktop.

2.Select the "View" option.

3.Select "Align Icons to Grid." Your desktop folders and other shortcuts snap to the grid automatically.

Alternatively, you can unable/disable Align Desktop Icons to Grid with a Registry tweak

Open the Registry Editor app.

Go to the following Registry key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

On the right, modify or create a new 32-Bit DWORD value "FFlags". Set it to one of the following values in decimal.

1075839520 - disable Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons to Grid

1075839525 - enable Auto Arrange Icons and Align Icons to Grid

1075839521 - enable Auto Arrange Icons and disable Align Icons to Grid

1075839524 - disable Auto Arrange Icons but enable Align Icons to Grid

Note: Even if you are running 64-bit Windows you must still create a 32-bit DWORD value.Auto Arrange Edit In Registry

To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to restart the Explorer shell.

That's it.

I hope it helps.

LeoSeabra, Aug 19, 2020
  3. Alignment grid

Minimize all open windows and apps. You can use Win + D or Win + M shortcut keys. ...

Right click the empty space on your Desktop and select View - Align icons to grid. This command will toggle the Align icons to grid feature.

Andre for Directly, Aug 19, 2020
  4. mrstyxjdm Win User

Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update

Positioning icons or folders on desktop where snap to grid is disabled.

I'm looking for a way to disable the snap to grid when positioning icons or folders on the desktop.

mrstyxjdm, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Align to Grid Disabled, but desktop icons STILL snapping to a grid after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Align Grid Disabled

2. Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.: All the icons on my Windows 10 desktop are spaced too far apart. As a result some icons are not even visible. When I right click on the desktop>view>align icons to grid. Nothing happens. It's the same with 'auto arrange icons'. Neither command seems to work. If I select small...
  3. Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.: All the icons on my Windows 10 desktop are spaced too far apart. As a result some icons are not even visible. When I right click on the desktop>view>align icons to grid. Nothing happens. It's the same with 'auto arrange icons'. Neither command seems to work. If I select small...
  4. Windows 10 desktop is misaligned because icons not aligning to grid.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. alignment grid

alignment grid: I suddenly have a grid on my desktop. It's 9 rectangles and says it's an alignment grid. How do I get rid of this? I have no idea what brought it up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alignment-grid/dacf4cde-40a0-41cb-bcad-b447e37702c5
  6. Positioning icons or folders on desktop where snap to grid is disabled.

Positioning icons or folders on desktop where snap to grid is disabled.: I'm looking for a way to disable the snap to grid when positioning icons or folders on the desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/positioning-icons-or-folders-on-desktop-where-snap/64b285c4-9989-43bf-8048-3d5f665ec77f
  7. desktop icons snap to grid

desktop icons snap to grid: How do I change the setting that causes the desktop icons to snap to grid, so I can place them randomly? I have Windows 10 Home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-snap-to-grid/272125f9-7cd0-41eb-97ba-c20677f665ac
  8. Alignment grid

Alignment grid: I really need to get rid of the alignment grid. It is driving me crazy, and I don't know how it turned on! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/alignment-grid/bd77425b-f130-4288-9e60-6c91462890ae
  9. Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Align Desktop Icons to Grid in Windows 10 [img] Information The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an...
  10. Resolution for "Align Icons to Grid"

in Windows 10 Support
    Resolution for "Align Icons to Grid": I use "Align Icons to Grid" to line up icons on my Desktop. However, I find the resolution of the grid is too coarse. How can I reduce the icon spacing between icons for the "Align Icons to Grid" option? 34955