Windows 10: "All App" shortcuts, how to stop some shortcuts from pinning to start

Discus and support "All App" shortcuts, how to stop some shortcuts from pinning to start in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Folders in question --C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs --C:\Users\Rita\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ritz, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Ritz Win User

"All App" shortcuts, how to stop some shortcuts from pinning to start

Folders in question
    --C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    --C:\Users\Rita\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Right so, I have been trying to create application shortcuts in the "all apps" of the start menu. I've had success with some shortcuts. Here is a screenshot, with an example of what I am talking.

The following shortcuts are behaving as I want them to,

"All App" shortcuts,  how to stop some shortcuts from pinning to start [​IMG]

The following shortcut is not behaving as I want it to.. it keeps pinning to start despite all my attempts to unpin it and recopy to the folder,

"All App" shortcuts,  how to stop some shortcuts from pinning to start [​IMG]

It makes no sense to me... they are all shortcuts to executable files. Why is windows handling some of them differently? Is there any way to fix this?

:)

Ritz, Aug 5, 2015
  2. TJ Girsch Win User

How to bind hotkey to an app like Calculator in Windows 10?

The calculator app doesn't have a "Create Shortcut" option when you right click on it. Only pin to/unpin from start and pin to/unpin from taskbar.

TJ Girsch, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Why does "Pin to Start" only add a tile? Why can't I add something to the actual start menu list (on the left)?

When I use "Pin to Start" on a shortcut to add it to the start menu, all I get is a tile. What I want is to be able to add it to the "All Apps" list along the left side (the REAL start menu). Can someone tell me how this can be done???

creacontech, Aug 5, 2015
  4. PAL
    pal Win User

I think this issue is going to be filed under bugs. Many people are seeing this. I also have items that refuse to appear in all apps.

5. Ritz Win User
    Its reassuring that I am not alone, was honestly driving myself mad all night.

Ritz, Aug 5, 2015
  6. OldAussie Win User
    That problem happens if it's an "App" from the App Store. Adding a new shortcut to the "All apps" list (at bottom left of Start Menu) only works for ordinary desktop programs. So it was silly of Microsoft to call that list "All apps". It should be called "All programs".

OldAussie, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Ritz Win User
    The problem is some of those normal windows applications work in all apps just fine, while some do not. Open Office executable for example works just fine, but ffxivboot.exe does not. Neither are windows 10 apps~

Windows shouldn't know how to explicitly handle either. I even had both pinned to the start prior to deciding to move them to all apps.

Ritz, Aug 6, 2015
  8. OldAussie Win User

That could be the cause of your problem.
    Sorry I can't remember where I read this a few days ago, so I can't provide a link, but I remember reading somewhere that after an ordinary desktop type program has been pinned as a tile you can't set it back to appearing in the All Apps list on the left.
    I don't know if there is a way to fix that.

OldAussie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "All App" shortcuts, how to stop some shortcuts from pinning to start - Similar Threads - App shortcuts stop

2. Shortcut to Windows Update - How to Pin to Start?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Shortcut to Windows Update - How to Pin to Start?: Hi My third and final question of the day (!) I have created a desktop shortcut for Windows Update and changed the icon to the 'Double Arrow' from the default 'Gear Wheel' (meant editing a Group Policy) but when I right click the desktop shortcut, there is no option to 'Pin...
  3. Pin a shortcut to Start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pin a shortcut to Start: I have Among Us Epic Games on my laptop, and I want to pin it to the start menu. I could just pin Among Us exact url C:/Program Files/..., however, multiplayer does not work because it has to open in the Epic Games launcher, which is why Epic Games created a shortcut on the...
  4. some shortcuts not allowed to be pinned to the taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    some shortcuts not allowed to be pinned to the taskbar: can anyone tell me why this is. when I drag some of them to the TB in win 10, the icon/widget that accompanies it is a red circle with a line through it. like an empty set symbol in mathematics. I've seen that many times before with random shortcuts. there is no pattern...
  5. Pin shortcuts to Start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pin shortcuts to Start: I would like to add shortcuts to my Start Menu. I know you can add programs plus items like Control Panel and administrative tools. But I would like to add my saved Remote Desktop Connection sessions. I hate having to minimize all my windows at get to my Desktop. And I don't...
  6. How to create shortcut apps from urls (pinned to taskbar)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create shortcut apps from urls (pinned to taskbar): [ATTACH] Hello, I'm trying to create url shortcuts that behave like an app and that I could pin to my taskbar.I managed to create one but now it seems impossible to repeat the process, I'm going mad ! Here I created a Dynamics CRM shortcut pinned to my W10 taskbar (the...
  7. Unable to Pin Shortcut to Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Pin Shortcut to Start: I installed Ccleaner and inadvertently unchecked the 'Create shortcut on start menu.' I've uninstalled and reinstalled, created a shortcut and copied to the 2 Start Menu/Programs but it still won't show up in the start menu. Any ideas? 107095
  8. Cannot pin some shortcuts to taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin some shortcuts to taskbar: Hi everyone. I'm having a problem, which I have no idea why it's happening. I recently installed Windows 10, and everything was fine until I started installing my programs and wanted to pin the ones I use most to the taskbar. Some of them can be pinned to the taskbar, but...
  9. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop windows explorer from pinning shortcuts