Windows 10: All apps/programs .exe not opening

Discus and support All apps/programs .exe not opening in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi! May someone help me please? Whenever I click a program/app to use, instead of opening it, its saying "click a new program to use, choose one from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AdamKharlab, Oct 10, 2020.

1. All apps/programs .exe not opening

Hi! May someone help me please? Whenever I click a program/app to use, instead of opening it, its saying "click a new program to use, choose one from thee microsoft store" I can't open system restore to do a restore point but I can open Regestry editorr and I think it might be REGEDIT thats breaking it. Thanks if you can help.

:)

AdamKharlab, Oct 10, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. All apps/programs .exe not opening :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 10, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Yep, I see the same.

I tried adding Paint to Open With for txt. That also appeared in the More Options list.

I suspect it's to do with what the programs are registered to handle. The Open With list is constructed form a number of sources e.g. at least these:

All apps/programs .exe not opening [​IMG]

The first of those corresponds to Snip & Sketch (simply search and find refs to the Appx string)

dalchina, Oct 10, 2020
  4. mngerhold Win User

All apps/programs .exe not opening

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

All apps/programs .exe not opening

1. All apps/programs .exe not opening - Similar Threads - apps programs exe

2. Select An App To Open This .exe File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Select An App To Open This .exe File: Hi So Today I was going to play csgo and when i launched it from steam i got this error, Anyone Knows How To Fix It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-an-app-to-open-this-exe-file/7412963b-bad4-4030-97a5-e2670ce98ec9
  3. Select An App To Open This .exe File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select An App To Open This .exe File: Hi So Today I was going to play csgo and when i launched it from steam i got this error, Anyone Knows How To Fix It? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-an-app-to-open-this-exe-file/7412963b-bad4-4030-97a5-e2670ce98ec9
  4. Exe default program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe default program: Hello, I somehow changed exe's default program. I tried to reset all extension to default but it still asks for a program to open an exe file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-default-program/1eb10ee0-04bd-4a27-992a-74a9c9e8b5c3
  5. Exe default program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Exe default program: Hello, I somehow changed exe's default program. I tried to reset all extension to default but it still asks for a program to open an exe file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-default-program/1eb10ee0-04bd-4a27-992a-74a9c9e8b5c3
  6. I Can't open any .exe program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I Can't open any .exe program: I had a virus called Win32/Neshta from my friend's USB, after using AVG Win32/Neshta remover it worked, but the effect is still going every time i open an .exe application, Windows shows "Open the file with.." and this is only for .exe files apparently i tried using the...
  7. All Apps Not Opening

All Apps Not Opening: Hello. Recently, I decided to try and import photos from my phone to my computer to free up space. Usually, I go into my photos app and just import from there, but everytime I open the photos app, it stays open for 3 seconds or so with a black screen, before shutting down. I...
  8. Opening programs/apps

Opening programs/apps: When I double click on an app or a program, I get a blue circle for a few seconds, it stops, and nothing happens. The program/app does not open. This happens to old and newly installed programs and apps. It happens off and on. Help?...
  9. Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open .exe files (all .exe files) in any USB: Yup, you read that right. I really hate this since I need to install Windows (32-bit) via a thumb drive. Executive files inside the original hard drive does not affect this. All of the .exe files don't work (other type of files still work). But I can still access...
  10. some file like .exe are open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    some file like .exe are open in another program: hello i terminate the microsoft edge than my some application and file are open with other program plz help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-file-like-exe-are-open-in-another-program/19f089c3-fae7-4ab8-884a-f1545359fbc0"